Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/170.0/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Sprained Ankle, any advice?

I recently sprained my ankle. I can finally limp on it without crutches, but I cannot walk too far without needing a break and my foot is still black and blue.

Are there any types of workouts that anyone would recommend that could go easy on my ankle?
playfulturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I think it depends on how you injured your ankle. I strained the ligaments in my left ankle/foot and also have plantar fasciitis. This happened about a month ago when I was on holiday in Scotland. I was walking A LOT with the wrong shoes on and am now having problems doing anything that involves my foot.

I ice it down every night and wear a special ankle brace that helps alleviate the problem, plus take ibuprofen. I keep it elevated as much as possible. Very slowly, my angle is getting better.

I work at a Pilates studio and my trainer/boss has me doing exercises for my foot, but nothing that puts the weight of my body on it. Mostly I have something like a tube that I can put ice into, about the size of 2" pvc pipe, and I roll my foot over that and push on the whole arch of my foot. I also flex my foot forward and back.

I am able to use a rowing machine as long as I'm wearing my brace. It's a pretty good workout for the whole body, and I happen to own a rowing machine. I can do Pilates as long as I don't attempt anything that involves putting weight on my foot, like full planks or downward dog positions.

Hope you get better soon!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

When I sprained both ankles last October, the doctor recommended making each letter of the alphabet with your foot in order to increase the flexibility. So, whatever you do make sure to work it in. Oh, yeah, and ice. Mine took a long time to heal, so take care and give them time.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #4  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

I have had more than my fair share of foot/ankle injuries (4 surgeries since 05/09). Any kind of low impact workout would be beneficial but you might have to work into some of them. Yoga is good except there can be a lot of standing and balance. Because of this pilates might be better. Also swimming and water workouts are good. You can swim laps and not put any weight or pressure on the ankle that is bothering you. Or try an aqua class at a gym or community center. These are low impact. If you do decide to take a class, whether it is on land or water, and your ankle starts to hurt ask the instructor for a modified version of the stretch or exercise. A good instructor will either have one or can come up with one relatively easily. Just listen to your body and don't push it. Sprains are worse than breaks and take forever to heal!

Good luck!
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote