Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Default For those who hate to exercise...

A really good article on Mark's Daily Apple today...

Part of it:

Quote:
Relearn the Meaning of Exercise

While I’ve always been active, there was a time when I hated – truly hated – what I considered to be the optimal form of exercise. Back when I was an endurance athlete, running marathons and then competing in triathlons, I began to hate my training. I was fit and active and thought I was doing the best thing I could for my body, but I really dreaded working out. Eventually, I realized that not only was my training unpleasant and miserable, it was also extremely unhealthy. That revelation forced me to relearn the meaning of exercise. I had to move, I had to train somehow, but I couldn’t continue on my current trajectory. I had to start all over and accept that maybe, just maybe it would be okay to take it easy and lift some weights, move really fast for short periods of time, and take actual rest days. Once I accepted that exercise didn’t have to miserable to be effective, everything fell into place.
Also, don't miss the comments section! His readers are really helpful with their advice
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

One of the reasons that I was drawn to the Primal/Paleo community was because of the emphasis on lifting weights over continuos cardio such as running. Running was great, but I became bored of it quickly and found it difficult to stay motivated. When it comes to lifting weights however, I found my true love. No matter how late I stay out, I can always drag myself to the gym to lift some weights.

Ultimately I found that the Primal/Paleo diet didn't work for me (I was suffering from constant fatigue—I need grains) but their way of thinking regarding exercise really attracted me: rest days, weight training, etc. Although now I have to admit that my rest day is very forced! But I'm BETTER because of it. I'm stronger when I give myself time to rest and listen to my body.

It's obvious from pictures that I have built a nice, muscular shape for the most part and yet a year ago I would have never believed I could have done it without spending hours in the gym every day. I don't, of course, spend hours a day at the gym, but instead I try to get the most bang for my buck and lift as heavy as I can
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

sontaikle,

I really enjoy lifting weights also! Funny because I just discovered that last year at age 39, after several old gym memberships where I shunned the weights as too scary/foreign and stuck with the cardio on an elliptical or rowing machine, for an hour at a time.

Now I enjoy the exertion of lifting, the ache after, and the feelings of strength. So far I have only played around with Nautilus machines, but I am curious about the free weights I've been reading the awesome pro-women lifter site, http://www.stumptuous.com/, for inspiration too.

I like the idea of play as exercise. I just can't routinely do boring exercise. Sometimes if I have to, but I greatly prefer fun stuff like swimming, kayaking, hiking, biking, snowshoeing... Outdoors stuff!

I've even started wearing a goofy pair of Vibram FiveFingers minimalist shoes this weekend, heh! To the gym, biking, and walking around. I'm surprised how comfortable they are, and how little my feet hurt. I mean, I'm obese and walking around for hours on pavement essentially barefoot should be killing me. Weird!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I hate to exercise. But I love to walk, run, bike, kayak, rock climb, swim, do yoga, dance, etc. None of it feels like exercise (ok, the running still does) it's all just lovely ways to spend my days and be with my friends.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #5  
Just watch me ...

http://www.stumptuous.com is a great site.

What I do to my determent is try to follow a schedule that's too much for me. I find that a modest schedule of 3 - 4 times a week of something I enjoy brings benefits to body and mind. Trying to follow someone else's schedule - including the schedule I had 15 years ago (!) causes stress and standstill. Find something you enjoy and do it. Find a strength. It's there somewhere
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 3"

It is very crucial to emotionally connect with your exercise. Someone is very lucky and is able to have this connection with mundane exercises like running or swimming (I am not saying that they aren't good or something, but personally I think they get a little bit boring after a while) and someone has to find the right activity for him/her.

For example, the right activity for me is yoga - and not only yoga but the whole yoga community in Toronto. When you belong into a social group, motivate each other and support each other it is very easy to devote a lot of time to the exercise.
MrsCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCake View Post
mundane exercises like running or swimming\
Wow.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote