Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/190.4/130

Height: 5'3''

Hi Threenorns,

Did some research on the minimalist shoes and maybe I'll get that instead of the Vibram; they would be more versatile I think

Thanks for the info!
happyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #17  
threenorns

any time! i asked her - she said Hattori (sp?) are her favourite of the moment.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #18  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I am a pretty new runner though at 5k (even 10k) endurance level now. I started barefoot running just a bit ago because I was having shin pains and could not figure out a way to resolve them. For me it's because I have slightly flat inward leaning feet. I tried figuring out the right technique on my Nikes but it was hard.

I don't think barefoot running is for everyone, and if you want to start it you should really do your research. You have to start out -really- barefoot in the beginnign because that's the only way your feet/body is gonna learn the right stride. You might even incorperate just 1 barefoot run a week because you learn to control your feet very well that way. I noticed after the initial horrid calf-pains (muscles that werent used before) that running in my Nikes went better because of my barefoot runs. Ans because I walked on thin soled shoes for a while and paid really close attention to every move my feet made to learn how they 'do their thing'.

So, if you can't figure out the right stride for YOU, barefoot could be a means. Or it could even be the way.

Goodluck!

Last edited by philana; 04-19-2012 at 02:19 AM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

I am a minimalist/barefoot runner ( my story is in my blog) and I am not able to run any other way. I am 7 weeks into my running programme, and I have found 2 things important.

Speed. When I started I could have walked faster, but I still ran. Why? I was teaching myself to run! So what if it was the slowest run on the planet, I was teaching those muscles to work. Speed comes later.

Go slowly with the progressions. I found C25K not for me, so I used another, simpler system, that worked for me. If C25K goes too fast, stay on the same level for a few more days....or weeks. Your body will let you know when it is ready for more.

And another thing (yes, that is 3 things!) everyone has an opinion, and they are all valid! Try things for yourself. I find the barefoot stuff very interesting. I cannot run in shoes, in fact I used to walk with sticks, and I limp and my foot flaps badly in conventional running shoes. I wear Terra Plana mimimal shoes and I can run. Up and down hills. Just check out my blog for where I can run. With no limp! Long live barefoot running.

But...I have a friend who can only run with orthotics and a special Nike shoe!

So who is right?

We both are of course!

Good luck, and enjoy your running.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #20  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

I've never heard of barefoot running. You'd only be able to run on a TM this way, wouldn't you?

Several years ago I tried running, not an official c25k but my own version, and found that my shins just hurt, hurt, hurt no matter what. This time around I had walked two dogs everyday for months before trying the c25k (didn't intentionally walk the dogs for months just to do the c25k, it was just a coincidence). The dogs walks are 1.5 miles, up and down hills nearly everyday. Dont' know if all that walking is the reason but this time around I was able to to the c25k and the running part didn't bother my shins . . . at all. I did get annoyed by week 5 because they had you go from running 8 mins to running 20 mins and that was too much of a head thing for me, too big of a jump (I was using the NHS c25k from iTunes) so I made up a bunch of playlists with my own music, several of which are the correct bpm for me to run at certain paces, and am happy to say that I can run for a full 30 mins. No shin/leg problems at all.

I don't run very fast at this point (5.0-5.2mph, 1%-2% incline - I'm only on a TM at this point) but that will come with time. I totally agree with other posters who say to slow down. I was pushing to run 5.3 -5.5mph before I was ready and I just couldn't do it and would just get discouraged. Get your body used to the running part. I'm not even concerning myself with increasing speed just yet. I'm working on running a full 5K (I'm up to running 2.6miles so I'm close and yeah pretty sure it's a mind-over-leg thing lol). Once I reach that goal I'll work on improving my time.

Oh, and I did find that using my own music/playlists with specific beats-per-minute helped me tremendously. Not all of my songs are at specific bpms but I throw them in throughout the play list and when those songs come on it just melds the running. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by loose seal; 04-22-2012 at 12:26 PM.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #21  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose seal View Post
I've never heard of barefoot running. You'd only be able to run on a TM this way, wouldn't you?
Heck no! You'd burn your feet on a TM I think. Haha. Your feet are made for walking, people in Africa still walk on their bare feet. Why would you not be able to walk on them anywhere?

Obviously you have to pay attention to not getting into sharp stuff, but I am lucky that our streets are kept pretty clean. And I notice my feet correct 'me'when they feel even the slightest sharp thing they right away find another place to put down and allow the weight to land on it. And if people aren't comfortable going completely barefoot (it does take some practice to get your soles adjusted) there's minimalist shoes.

Last edited by philana; 04-21-2012 at 02:19 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #22  
threenorns

also, rickshaw drivers in china traditionally do not wear shoes - ever. even though they spend hours and hours a day running through city streets dragging the rickshaws, the rate of foot disease and abnormality is near-zero.

same with the tarahumara ppl of mexico - these are ppl who, at all ages up to and including their 80s, regularly run hundreds of miles over two or more days at a stretch either barefoot or wearing home-made huaraches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwIKZhrdt4
(it's narrated by william shatner - can it GET any better?)

ROFLMGDAO - and here's something just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=NPdb7ZDJKS4#!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
also, rickshaw drivers in china traditionally do not wear shoes - ever. even though they spend hours and hours a day running through city streets dragging the rickshaws, the rate of foot disease and abnormality is near-zero.

same with the tarahumara ppl of mexico - these are ppl who, at all ages up to and including their 80s, regularly run hundreds of miles over two or more days at a stretch either barefoot or wearing home-made huaraches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwIKZhrdt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=NPdb7ZDJKS4#!
According to what I found it's narrated by Fred Sanders, not William Shatner.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidde.../dp/B0028TY1D8

The end of the film cites Peter Macneill as the narrator.

Very interesting vid . . thanks for sharing it!

The second vid . . . rofl! "foot coffins", too funny.

Last edited by loose seal; 04-22-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #24  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I started C25K in the 240s and I won't lie, my shins hurt badly (a shin-splinty sort of pain that nothing soothed. Bad enough that I felt it but not really so bad I couldn't walk/jog). It's a lot of running for a beginner. I kept at it and by the 2nd run of my 4th week, my shins were less sore and it got better from there. Now I gave up after the 1st 20 minute run (Week 5?) but at that point I was more or less pain free.

I redid (and finished) C25K in the 220s and I finished it and after the first month, I really didn't have issues. I don't know how good or bad my form is. I don't run any races but what I do know is when I haven't run for a while and I start up again and/or when I don't stretch properly after my run, I still get shin and lower leg pain until I get back into my groove. So I mean I'm no expert, but it's only been 2 weeks, it may not need that drastic an intervention.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #25  
threenorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose seal View Post
According to what I found it's narrated by Fred Sanders, not William Shatner.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidde.../dp/B0028TY1D8

The end of the film cites Peter Macneill as the narrator.

Very interesting vid . . thanks for sharing it!

The second vid . . . rofl! "foot coffins", too funny.

nope - yours is a different link entirely. mine is william shatner, from his series "Wierd, Or What?" - saw it when it premiered.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-22-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #26  

Quote:
nope - yours is a different link entirely. mine is william shatner, from his series "Wierd, Or What?" - saw it when it premiered.

From IMDB there are two versions, one with Shatner as narrator and one with Macneill as narrator. According to the end credits of the video you posted, Peter Macneill is the narrator of that particular vid. I'd love to hear the one Shatner narrated ... he can be such a hoot!

It was very interesting to watch them run barefoot vs. in those little sandals. Barefoot they hit balls/front of foot first but even in those sandals they hit the ground more with the back of their foot or whole foot. I find it really interesting that people run differently with shoes vs. without.

Can you re-train yourself to run the barefoot strike while still wearing running shoes? Hmmm . . . . .
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #27  

Quote:

Thank you so much for this post, I really enjoyed the videos. It's simply amazing to see how our body was just so perfectly made....beautiful!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #28  
Feed the muscle

S/C/G: 225/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I don't run, but I have to comment onn the barefoot workout tips and say they it is The Truth. I had shoes specially fitted for me, and all they gave me was knee pains and shin splints. I workout barefoot all the time now. I've not had any shin splints since and my knees are much, MUCH better. When I start running, I'll prpbably purchase the Vibram shoes. Like someone else said, our feet are MADE for running. We were here before the sneakers. There's nothing wrong with running/working out barefeet.

Last edited by meltaway; 04-25-2012 at 01:42 AM.
meltaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 232/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on your C25K Progress!
Im also doing that program and I am just finished W3D3 today (really really scared of W4 though! lol)

Anyways, I had shin pain soooo bad that there were times that I couldnt take my running shoes off for about 1 hr because if i did it would make the pain worse and to the point of not walking/shuffling through my house!

I thought maybe this was normal, because I started doing c25k right off the bat and did it 5 days a week (but i would repeat a lot of the same running workouts if i didnt feel like i was quite ready to move on) and I know that after you workout and work muscles that you may not have worked in a long while you tend to be really sore for a couple weeks, this pain went on and never got better for about 5 weeks...so I figured something was wrong!

Come to find out my issue was in my shoes!
I am something called a under pronator (meaning I walk more on the outsides of my feet) the shoes that I was wearing were made more for a neutral pronator (meaning they walk more "neutral" not specifically more weight on either side of the foot)

So I went to a local running specialty store...and I got hooked up with some shoes that are AAAAMMAAZZINNGG...I got to run on a treadmill to test them out before I bought them, and OMG I was laughing because I was so happy lol.

When I do the C25K in my new shoes I still do have shin pain, as well as calf pain...but I know that the pain I have now is the normal "workout" pains and nothing like what I was experiencing before!

So you may be a over/under pronator, or maybe just not wearing the correct shoes!
I hope that I was helpful!
DanieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #30  

So I got myself some new shoes... Brooks Pure Grit. I was going for the Merrell's Dash Glove but the Brooks felt more comfortable and they are a better transition to a barefoot/minimalist shoe.

I tested them twice. Yesterday when I finally completed W2 of my C25K program. I don't know if it's the shoes or because I am actually thinking on my technique but... NO PAIN!!! Like seriously, before after the 2nd run I would feel the pain in my shins... this time I was so free of pain that at the end of the workout I run for 3 min!!! I felt so good I went for another workout today. And YAYAYAY I have completed W3D1 with no pain. I feel my calves a bit, like expected but nothing like before!! I can say that the shoes make a difference!

Good run to all!