Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

Default distance running & appetite

I am training for a half marathon, and I'm finding that I eat voraciously for a good solid day or two after my long run I know that I am burning a lot of calories running 1-2 hours, but it makes me eat like there's no tomorrow. I don't like feeling so out of control. Does anyone have any tips on how to manage/avoid this?
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

well, you could try telling yourself you arent burning NEARLY as many calories as youd like to think you are... possibly is psychological? Assuming you are getting adequate recovery nutrition there is no real physiological reason to be ravenoulsy hungry for days after a long run
Cuz you are tiny already. Your body is conditioned to running ( im ASSUMING, since you are training for a half mary). The long runs are low intensity (talk test, long run pace, i mean).

My point is, psychologically you may ffel like you NEED to eat more, or that you DESERVE to eat more because you burned *so many* calories... the mind is incredibly powerful. In reality, you bunred more calories going about the rest of your day after your run.... 3X more, probably, and you do that everyday. A small female relatively conditioned to running~~ hmmm... lets say 9 miles? 8 miles? you prob really only burned 400-600 cals. That old 100 cals/mile is very antiquated and extremely inaccurate. And BodyBuggs/fitbits/garmins are equally notorious for overestimating cals burned during running, especially, since you wear it on your arm, and it tracks MOVEMent, kwim?

Also, whn your runs are over 90 minutes, are you taking in any additional cals during the run itself? Like runners ggoo/gel shots, etc? Technically those are for energy DURING the run, but perhaps they may help you with hunger AFTER the run?

Id suggest time it so you eat one of your larger meals immediately after your run (depednign on what time you run at) and if that isnt possible, eat a fast digesting carb, and a fast digesting protein as a snack imediately after, like chocolate milk. Or an apple and a Whey protein shake.... not casein protein, and not low glycemic carbs.... you want it in your bloodstream fast.

What half are you training for?? is it your first?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

yeah I think I may not be eating enough in general... I have been doing weight watchers for almost 2 years... at this point, between training for this race, and getting used to a new job in which I am on my feet running around all day, I don't think it's a good time for me to be in a calorie deficit. Some of it is DEFINITELY psychological, I just kinda lose it and eat like there's no tomorrow. But I think part of that may be that I really am not eating enough for what's happening in my life. I just re-set my goal weight at WW so I could start maintenance (it was only a few lbs off from my original goal anyway, and I feel good where I'm at). I'm hoping that eating a bit more will help. I am going to try fueling a bit more during the run, too. I am running 10 miles tomorrow, we'll see how it goes!

And yes, it's actually my 2nd... I ran the same one last year. It's the Colfax marathon here in Denver, on May 20th. And I didn't have this problem then, now that I think about it.

Thanks for your thoughts!!
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote