Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Need advice on workout plan/DVDs!

Hello all!

I'm beginning the long overdue process of trying to get back into shape and am having trouble deciding on an exercise regimen that I think would work for me. I'm leaning toward beginning a Jillian Michaels workout program (either 30 day shred or one of the Biggest Loser workout DVDs) but have NO idea which one is best or would get the most promising results. Amazon.com reviews are so conflicting, so I wanted to come here and see if anyone has some advice!

A little about myself - I'm 22, currently weigh 200 lbs and am in pretty poor shape athletically. My goal is to lose 50 lbs to get down to an ideal weight of 150, and I'd like to lose b/w 1-2 lbs a week.

Anyone have recommendations for what type of workout/DVD I should look into? Thanks in advance, hope you are all doing well on your own journeys.
ak812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #2  

Thanks for the input, MrEvilAK. I had been planning on starting out with Jillian Michaels' 30DS but think it might be a bit beyond my level right now. I always thought I HAD to do cardio to lose any weight at all, but think starting out with some cardio-based yoga & step aerobics will get me on the right track without discouraging me.

Congrats to you on the 50lb weight loss, that's very impressive! What, if any, changes did you make to your diet to lead to such an incredible loss?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #3  
threenorns

you might be interested in this: http://tabatatraining.org/

it's only 4min every three days to start - could be a good way to ease into working out: maximum "oomph!" for maximum "oomph!" (no, not a typo - it's only 4min but it kicks your butt bigtime!).
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

If you are in pretty poor shape, I would recommend starting off with some lighter workouts that won't burn you out fast. Yoga is a good suggestion. I myself started doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds dvds and still love it to this day (even though it's pretty tame compared to other workouts I now do). But when you are someone who laid in bed all day, had no motivation to get up and do anything....those dvds were a godsend and really helped pave the way to having more energy and drive to improve.

I have tried The Shred but never kept up with it. It was on the harder side and got boring when I did it repetitively. I have The Biggest Loser PowerSculpt dvds and those are pretty good.

Right now I am doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution (90 day program) and it is pretty good.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/196/127

Height: 5'1

This is my opinion and experience:

I own 3 workout DVDs. Two of Leslie Sansone and 1 of Jillian Michaels (30 day shred). Leslie Sansone was just perfect for me as a beginner and every time I popped it in, I was just thankful that there's a workout that could be done in the limited space that I have. It burns calories AND it's manageable (you don't gasp for air but you feel the burn).

I did the 5 mile walk and I think I burned 300-450 calories. It takes a little less than an hour for a 5 mile walk with Leslie. That was a while ago.

I just bought 30 day shred a little more than a week ago. Jillian kicks your butt. I recommend her DVD for the challenging and effective exercise.

I usually burn around 220-270 calories using Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred Level 1 depending on how hard I exert myself that day (doing the modified version or the advanced version).

Trust me that it's not 'beyond' your level. It's definitely challenging but it's only 27 minutes and it goes by so quick that you'll be surprise when it's over. Take it from me- I'm very unfit and yet *I can do it. Just try and you won't regret it.

Last edited by misski; 04-12-2012 at 04:48 PM.
misski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #6  

Leslie is very worth while having in your library. I still use it when I'm recovering from an illness or in general want a low impact workout. I don't have her newest one, but it does look good from the preview below.

I would recommend previewing before buying.
I like to use www.collagevideo.com or even do a search on youtube. For purchase you probably can find it cheaper at another website.
PhillyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #7  

threenorns - The tabata training looks intense, but sounds like you get lots out of it for how little time it takes. What intervals have you designed for yourself, if you don't mind me asking? I know the site has lots of vids & recommendations, but just curious as to what has worked for you.

hle82 - Thanks for the advice! I will definitely give Leslie Sansone a try, at least to start with. I've got very little motivation to exercise & tend to avoid it like the plague by telling myself it will just be 'too tough' for me. Of course, this resistance leads to no exercise at all. Sansone's walking seems like a nice kick in the butt to get me started! Good luck with Body Revolution; I'd love to hear how it's going for you as you progress through it.

misski - Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I am definitely going to start out with a mixture of Leslie Sansone and cardio yoga, at least to get myself & my body back into the routine of regular exercise. Good luck with 30DS; hope to be joining you in completing it very soon. Let me know how it's going for you!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #8  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Ak812 - if you're thinking of 30D Shred, may I reccomend ripped in 30 instead? I actually think it's easier BECAUSE in 30DS, she does two weights moves for 3 min and so it's a longer period of time you have to do each movement. In ripped in 30, she does 3, so you only have to do each movement for 30 sec. instead. I do find that is easier. Plus she always has a way to make every move different - don't give up! That's what I started with - yea I couldn't do the whole thing but I worked up to it & it was such a feeling of accomplishment.

I find the Biggest Loser Bootcamp to be good b/c there are also different levels and Denise Austin is great [easier than Jillian, but really good & fun workouts] - rec. you try her Quick Burn Cardio dvd. Tracey Mallet 6 min. method is good - it's like a total of ten 6 min. cardio or weights segments so you can mix & match.

Brooke Burke just came out with two really good, manageable toning dvd's - you would have to work up to fully doing them [they run about 40 min], but we all start somewhere.

I started using dvd's to work out again last June but have been using them for over 12 years - I have like 50-75 different ones - they are great! If you have any specific questions or anything, feel free to ask.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #9  

lm3898 - I've been looking at some of the Biggest Loser DVDs. There are so many, I wasn't sure which one might be best for me! I can't believe you have so many workout DVDs, that's awesome! Wish I had such a library to choose from. Quick question - I've been having some problems lately with leg soreness (and I haven't even been working out) ... do you have any recommendations for workouts or DVDs that would really focus on helping stretch out my legs and help make those joints feel a bit better? I'm thinking in the realm of yoga but want to be sure I'm getting some cardio in, too. Any specific cardio yoga programs you recommend? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #10  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Ahhh of course, the one thing I can't give advise on!! I'm not a yoga person - I know lots of ppl lose weight that way but for me, I prefer either really good lifting workouts or cardio for the maximum weight loss. I feel like yoga is something I would do if I'm already thin and want to tone...I know lots of ppl disagree but that's why I personally don't do it. I think I get better results with weights/body lifting & HITT training.

However, if you looking to give your legs a break, Jackie Warner has a few dvd's where you can break it down to just do arm or abs or legs so you can do abs and take a break etc. etc. I'll try to think of the name of the dvd she does. Also, Jillian has 6 week 6 pack, def. AB specific, but you do have a little bit of leg work [a few squats, etc. but not overwhelming at all].
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

[QUOTE=hle82;4290157]If you are in pretty poor shape, I would recommend starting off with some lighter workouts that won't burn you out fast. Yoga is a good suggestion. I myself started doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds dvds and still love it to this day (even though it's pretty tame compared to other workouts I now do). But when you are someone who laid in bed all day, had no motivation to get up and do anything....those dvds were a godsend and really helped pave the way to having more energy and drive to improve.

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE....Right now I do Tae Bo and the Couch25K running program. However, I LOVE LESLIE. She can be chatty but it is a low impact great workout- and you get to choose your own length (1 miles, 2 miles, etc.)
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

AGREE WITH THIS.....

If you are in pretty poor shape, I would recommend starting off with some lighter workouts that won't burn you out fast. . . .I myself started doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds dvds and still love it to this day (even though it's pretty tame compared to other workouts I now do). But when you are someone who laid in bed all day, had no motivation to get up and do anything....those dvds were a Godsend and really helped pave the way to having more energy and drive to improve.

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE....Right now I do Tae Bo and the Couch25K running program. However, I LOVE LESLIE. She can be chatty but it is a low impact great workout- and you get to choose your own length (1 miles, 2 miles, etc.)

Last edited by free1; 04-13-2012 at 03:52 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #13  

lm3898 - That's what I've always thought about yoga, that I should wait to do it until AFTER I lose the weight as a sort of toning/maintaining workout. I've just been checking out Comcast's On Demand fitness workouts and there are a couple labeled as "weight loss yoga" so I may give those a shot. Hoping to ease some of the pain on my joints before I get into more intense stuff. JM's 6 week 6 pack also sounds great - could definitely use a 6 pack, but have a feeling it may take me more than 6 weeks to get one.

free1 - I've heard a lot of good things about Leslie Sansone & definitely plan to give her a try. Especially love that you can choose the distance you do & I actually think some chatiness might help me. I've been wanting to work out with a friend so maybe Leslie's chattiness will feel a little bit like that! How's your experience with C25K been? I really want to do that program but was kind of discouraged by the small amount of calories burned for 1 workout. Will probably do it eventually as a way to get myself more interested in running, and more able to do it at that.