Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #1  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Training for 5k

Since I plan on doing a 5k at the end of April, I have been trying to get myself in some sort of shape to be able to even jog it. I usually do the elliptical just because I am afraid to hurt my joints from the extra weight. Short legs with a big butt..my knees and ankles do not like that!

Should I just switch to a treadmill now? Or will my times be similar between the two? I also thought about maybe mixing it up between the two just to have some variation.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6

A girlfriend and myself are training as well and we downloaded an app onto our smart phones (I have a Droid and she has a Blackberry). The name of the app is called Couch to 5K. And it gives us a program to follow to get us ready for a 5k. I has us walking and running in different intervals.

Just a suggestion -- hope that helps...
stocco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #3  
BACON

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'2

C25K is great ...
LEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #4  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Couch to 5k is great if you're already comfortable running.

I'm not a comfortable runner. Getting better, but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, I would get off of the eliptical and onto the treadmill. It's a totally different feel. I would also STRONGLY encourage you to do as much outside as you can. A treadmill run/job/walk is nothing like what you'll feel in the race.

If you dont have an outside option make sure you set your incline to a 1 or 1.5. Setting it to 1 or 1.5 simulates natural terrain.

Start slow and build up. Read your body. I also have short legs and a big ***. My heels hurt when I run, my legs throb, my calves aches, my thighs shake and my *** jiggles out of control. I've been "running" (I use that term loosely, my run is a 5.5 on the treadmill) for about a year now.

I would invest in a good pair of running shoes. Because of my weight and my my over pronation when walking/running, I had my shoes fitted and that's fixed a lot of my stride issues.

Don't over do it. Walk a mile or two and see how you feel. Keep that pace for a week and then increase by 10%. (In my triathlon training they say to never increase your time or level of difficulty by more than 10% so your body can adjust and work with you, not against you.)

Personally, I do bouts of speed walking to jogging to a run and cycle through the three.

In your first 5k, I'd suggest finding someone around your pace. (After you start people end up with their pace groups.) I found 4 people that were around my pace and 1 person just a little bit ahead of me. My goal was to finish ahead of those in my pace and try to finish with the person a bit ahead of me. I beat my person best by 2 minutes and my goal by 1:30. There is a lot of energy and endorphins in your first race.

Sorry this was so long....I just remember how nervous I was about my first 5k.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Get on the treadmill, or go outside, since the race will be outside.

I was not comfortable running at all before doing C25K. I'm on week 6 and have my 5K on the 17th. It totally eased me into running and was very good. I use the "Ease Into 5K" app on my iPhone.

It's just 3 days a week, and on the off days I do strength training since a strong core and upper body will help propel you in your running.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

My 5k is in May. i am doing run/walk. week one walk 1 min run 1 min. Week 2 run 1 min run 2 min, etc etc. You can still do it during the 5k.

It is supposed to prevent people who are not used to exercise to not get injured.

I am training outside because I will be running outside, but a treadmill would be nice on horrid days!

Auto.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #7  

The only way to learn to run is by running. The elliptical is great for cardiovascular but the (physical) impact of running is something you need to train for as well.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote