Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

Default Wii Excercise Games-Anyone use them as workouts?

Does anyone here use Wii Excercise games as part of their work out?

I currently have Wii Fitness with the balance board ( which I can't get on, however some of the games do not require the balance board ) Anyone know how to get out of doing the initial body test. Although I would like to I do not want to bust it since the max weight is 330 and I am currently at 386.

I also have Zumba and Biggest Losser Challenge ( Also have some others that were not given as Christmas presents but are geared towards young children).

I have not seen, but would love to see P90X in Wii form that would be awsome!! I like the weight training from it (Pylo not so much hurt my knees). I can see it now a wii controller fitting into a dumb bell *lol*

What Wii games are you enjoying in your work outs and how are they working out for you?

Last edited by qtkitty; 01-02-2012 at 11:02 PM.
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

At my current fitness level I find most of the Wii Fit stuff to be too easy. There are some things I like to do, but nothing really gets me sweating. I'll usually use the Wii Fit if I can't get to the gym, but then the balance board yells at me for not using it every day

I REALLY like the Just Dance games!! They are a lot of fun and work your entire body. It takes a lot of songs for me to work up a sweat, but I still have a lot of fun and it doesn't feel like I'm working out!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #3  

sontaikle~ I have not tried any of the wii fit games to know, however I do know my dd enjoyed playing penguins *LOL* which she does need to work on balance ( expecially when sleepy )
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You could make getting on the balance board one of your minigoals!

The balance games are fun, with the skiing one being my favorite. My brother and fiancee usually get mad at me because I can get pretty far and they can't, haha!

I prefer the games over the actual "exercise" part, because they're just that: games, and they're FUN.

If you are looking for more stuff that doesn't require the balance board, the Just Dance games are fun, like I mentioned in my last post, and they're multiplayer so you can play them with your daughter if you want
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I used the game Walk It Out for the first few months of my weight loss. You can use it without the balance board or with it and as you progress you can use it with an aerobic step or a trampoline. Lots of gals Used them. There is a Facebook fan page (not sur it is still active). It's a great, easy to get back into fitness video. Helped me lose my first 40 or so.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 01-03-2012 at 10:10 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I have all the EA Active games and really like them. They are more traditional workout than game though, just very customizable.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #7  

sontaikle~ oh it is!!!! Getting to 330 so I can play on the balance board is one *nods*

I have Zumba for the Wii which is a dance game... I have yet to give it to my daughter but I also have Just dance kids ( I did not want to overwelm her since she is 3.. I also was not sure how well she would take the wii so far very well so she will be getting more games for birthday in a couple months)

berryblondeboys~ I read someone else mention that as well ... I am definately going to have to look into that Thank You!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I used to use the wii fit and it was fun, but I didn't use it as much as I should have (I still have it and should, but...) we bought the xbox kinect and the thing is amazing. Dance Central 2 is my new addition. I believe they have it for the wii also, and if not there's always Just Dance. They are SUPER fun!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/185/160

Height: 5'8

I have the EA Active Sports games and I use them when I can't get to the gym. They don't require a balance board and can give you a great workout. You can customize your exercises and starting level. It is great if you are just starting out.
nicknjamie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #10  
Fat Fox

S/C/G: 187/181.5/136

Height: 5'5

I have EA Active Sports (but for the PS3). I find it can be a challenging work out if you need it - mind you I am really unfit so maybe it just seems challenging! It doesn't need a balance board and things like the boxing and some of the basketball exercises would probably be much easier on your knees.
Foxevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #11  

Thanks guys ... I seems like there are a lot of "fun" ways to get in some sort of shape... and probubly get my 3 year old into better shape ( that may not be a good thing since she is a ball of energy as is *LOL* )
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #12  
Canadian on the Inside

Height: 5' 6"

I use Wii Fit Plus not for my primary workouts, but as a fun way to sneak activity into my otherwise sedentary afternoons. Admittedly, I'm a little addicted to the bike ride game, and I can work up a pretty serious sweat collecting all of the balls on the free ride. I also do "free step" when I'm watching TV. It's not a workout, but it's better than sitting down while I watch.

Another related question for those of you who have tried the dance games (I'm thinking of Just Dance, Just Dance Kids, and Zumba, but if you have others, feel free to shout out): how coordinated do you have to be to enjoy them/get a mini-workout from them? I'm horribly uncoordinated. In terms of traditional workout videos I can do Leslie Sansome's stuff, Biggest Loser, and some traditional cardio, but, for example, I can't do Dancing with the Stars videos or the 10 Minute Solution Fat Blasting Dance Mix. Do I have any chance of enjoying the dance related Wii games? Is Just Dance Kids any easier, or is the music just more tame?
Paja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 193/184/150

Height: 5"5

I tent to cheat too much with wii because you can get away with not using your legs! I'm going to invest on a xbox kinect... now there is no room for cheating there because it monitors your whole body!
sirius93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #14  

Currently I am using the EA Active 30-Day Challenge for the Wii. (You can tell the program that you don't have a balance board, and it will take out all the exercises that use it.) After the first 2 days, I was so sore and could barely walk. Day 3 was my 'rest day' and then I was fine by Day 4.

As others have said, it doesn't really get me sweating, so I switched to the medium intensity-I got my HR up, but still no sweating.

Tomorrow, I'll try the high intensity workout, but I have found that I crave a longer workout than the standard 20 minute ones the program gives you (I'm weird, I know). I ordered the P90x, and will use the EA Active until the DVDs come.

I think it's a great activity to get you up and moving around. I just don't think I'd use it as a 'weight loss tool'.
Alki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For those who find most to be not challenging enough, I'd recommend "Gold's Gym Cardio Workout". I'm pretty fit, and it's fairly intense! Definitely gets my HR up more than the dance games or other fitness titles I've found.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote