Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #1  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

Default Out of breath = bad?

i went to the gym today and worked out on the treadmill. halfway thru my workout, this girl comes in and starts working out on the bike. when i get off the treadmill my head is dripping with sweat and im a lil out of breath. she stops me and tells me that if im out of breath after i exercise its a bad thing. she also told me im not getting a workout unless i sweat from my body. what?!?! ive never heard that before..... anyone have some insight into this? my treadmill workout consisted of 30 mins of 3.0 -3.5 mph at 3% incline
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #2  

I sometimes sweat like crazy and others I'm a little out of breath when I finish a hard workout particularly cardio or HIIT. Obviously, whatever you've been doing is working b/c you've lost 35 lbs. already. I think everyone's different.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #3  
Gotta Lose to Win

i usually do treadmill or bike every other day and weight training on the days i dont do treadmill with one day rest in the week. she was a really skinny chick so idk if whats shes saying is a wives tale or what. i am usually not breathing hard for very long so yeah lol
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

She obviously doesn't know anything. Out of breath = elevated heart rate = lots of calories burning away & cardiovascular system getting stronger!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

What dietvet said! That's pretty funny though! Last time I checked my head is part of my body

Last edited by tdiprincess; 07-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Wow. First off, I'm assuming from the way you wrote it that you didn't know this girl...so she is obviously lacking in social skills if she thought it appropriate to approach a stranger in that manner. Second, when I'm at the gym half the people on the treadmills/ellipticals/stationary bikes are breathing heavy. I personally don't consider it a good workout unless I'm breathing at least a little bit heavy and having to wipe sweat out of my eyes, LOL

You're obviously doing things right, so I wouldn't pay her any attention. And if she ever approaches you again I'd tell her that she must be confused and think her opinion is one that you care to hear, LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

The only thing I can think of is maybe she means you should cool down on the machine? I generally do a few mins at 2.5 or so on the treadmill at the end until my hr gets back down to the 120s before I get off.

I have never heard the sweat from your body (vs your head I assume) before. As long as you're sweating, I say it's good!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #8  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Sorry, I laughed when I read your post. Not about you, about the chick. I never heard anything so crazy. I'll make sure that next time I'm working out, i sweat profusely (maybe in my armpits?) and can carry a full conversation without any short of breath. WTH.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Sherama: LOL if you can manage to sweat profusely from your armpits WITHOUT being out of breath, please tell me! HA!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #10  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

LOL. Maybe I didn't shelack the deoderant on as good as usual...
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha1534 View Post
Wow. First off, I'm assuming from the way you wrote it that you didn't know this girl...so she is obviously lacking in social skills if she thought it appropriate to approach a stranger in that manner. Second, when I'm at the gym half the people on the treadmills/ellipticals/stationary bikes are breathing heavy. I personally don't consider it a good workout unless I'm breathing at least a little bit heavy and having to wipe sweat out of my eyes, LOL

^ this.
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #12  
Gotta Lose to Win

hahaha i was thinking that. if you dont breath hard when you work out its kinda weird lol. and she asked me right when i got off the machine. ill usually jog back to the apt and walk half way there so thats how i cool down. (i workout at my apartments gym) and no i had never seen this girl before lol. she worked out for about 5 mins then stopped and laid down on the bench in front of the treadmill i was on. she also told me she had just text a friend to come workout too. i was thinking ok thats cool but im going home haha LMAO at sherama yeah i must use some good antiperspirant cause i dont sweat much from my pits unless its REALLY hot
Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #13  

I don't know what she's talking about with the out of breath thing but I have heard that when you get more in shape, you sweat more from your extremities (ie arms, legs, hands) so maybe that's what she was talking about? still think it was a bit rude of her to just come out with that from nowhere.
jenangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Whoa, kind of rude! She doesn't know what she's talking about, only you can know your body well enough to know if you're getting a good workout--it sounds like you are. Just ignore her. She sounds like several girls at the gym I used to go to that would come in and do only a small amount of (lackluster) exercise and then proceed to pass judgement on everyone else. I also have noticed some skinny girls that get intimidated when a bigger chick puts in more exercise work effort than they do. Kinda like "fatty showing up the skinny "athletic" chick". Just keep doing what you do and pay her no mind. If she wants to try and keep up with you, good luck to her!
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/266/170

Height: 5'4

i wouldnt believe her lol
losingdaybyday is offline   Reply With Quote