Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/182/150

Height: 5'2

Default How do you stay motivated?

Question of the century, right?

I've mainly been losing by changing eating and drinking habits with a little exercise thrown in every now and again when I get a sudden burst of energy, but I am totally horrible at being consistent. I do enjoy walking, but my neck of the woods is under a blanket of blazing fire-it's been in the upper 90's-100's for the past 38 days straight.

I do like to do yoga at home, but only when I'm in the mood. So-how do ya'll stay motivated? How do you force yourself to stay on track? Especially with very limited resources (ie: no gym membership)

I was thinking about joining Curves in the fall when I have the money since I am too embarassed to go to a regular gym and the Curves is super close by- only about a mile- but I am hesitant because I have heard a few of the machines are more or less pointless (abductor, adductor ect.) But then again, something is better nothing. Curves is better than no gym at all, I suppose.

Thoughts?
sjahns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

In short: I don't.

I'm quite frankly not always motivated to do anything. That's why I don't, personally, rely on motivation or wait until I feel like it. I schedule it in, and then DO it. There's no choice in the matter. It must get done.

I also have several "on plan" challenges that I'm trying to complete, but in order to stay on plan I absolutely MUST exercise once a day. No excuses.

However, I have to stress that it really isn't that bad once I get going. The worst part, really, is the starting. Once I'm started, I just kind of move along and do my thing. Whatever I had planned, it gets done.

I also remember this: The day after not exercising, I may regret. However, the day after exercising, I will never regret.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #3  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I'm not sure how/when it happened, but I've been exercising so consistently since I started losing weight that I feel blah and tired when I DON'T exercise.. so I guess that's my motivation!

I also like to run a lot, so when I see skinny people running by, I imagine myself looking like them
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

In a word, PROGRESS. Yup..progress keeps me motivated. As long as I keep gettin' better...even just a lil bit, I'mma keep going!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
In a word, PROGRESS. Yup..progress keeps me motivated. As long as I keep gettin' better...even just a lil bit, I'mma keep going!
Yep - I have to agree. Tracking my weight and inches each week and seeing the results from exercise is a HUGE motivator. When I'm on the couch and thinking that there is nothing else I would want to do less than get off of it, I think about how fun it is to see a loss in my tracked stats. That, and pasting pictures of my "ideal body" to the fridge
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/223/165

Height: 5"4

I don't think anyone can stay motivated all the time. I use my pedometer for motivation, I take it as a challenge when the number isn't high enough. I also think of all the things a thinner me can do, and that is motivating.

I also think of what Zig Zigler said (to paraphrase) Motivation, like bathing, doesn't last, that is why it is recommended daily. Every morning, as I get ready to go out walking at 5 am, I remind myself why I am up, what I am going to accomplish and that I will feel better when it is done.
Redheadchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/166/135

Height: 5'5"

For me it was finding the type of work out that I love doing...it has taken me forever and I never thought that I would love it...but running is my thing that I just can't live without...I'm not a long distance runner, but I love how I feel after I'm done running...my day feels incomplete without it...I look at it this way: I LOVE to eat and all that got me was overweight, but now that I love to run that gives me nothing but good...I still have lazy days but once I get my butt on that treadmill or out to run on nice days I ALWAYS am glad I did it! Ya gotta find something you enjoy doing is the key...at least for me it was...HTH!
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote