Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/264/155

Height: 5'5

Default Advice Needed

Today is my first day on this site. I have lost about 35 pounds over the last few years by making small changes. I hate exercise so much though. I have decided that I need to get seriouse to lose the 120 pounds that I have left to lose so that means I have to start exercising. Can you give me some advice on how to start exercising and not hate it so bad? I don't have money for a gym or anything like that and my neighborhood is not a good place to walk in.
IrishKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!

I think exercising is great. But to be honest, to lose the weight more changes to your diet will probably be necessary. Exercise can't do the trick by itself.

As far as what exercising you can do, I think to small changes are a great place to start. What do yo like doing? Anything that involves moving? Do more of it. Dancing around the house? Window shopping at the mall? Forcing yourself to do something you can't stand isn't a recipe for success. That said, once you start to move more, you might find yourself enjoying things you never expected to.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Zoodoo has some great points.

It's important to find an activity that we actually enjoy doing. If we dread "exercise" then we aren't going to want to make it a habit or a fun thing we do when we have some time to ourselves... but if we like dancing around to some music when we're alone, or if we enjoy strolling around the mall and window shopping... then those things can be made into regular activities.

They aren't what many people consider to be "exercise", simply because we aren't wearing legwarmers and sweatbands... but they are exercise! They're activity.

Every step counts. Parking further away from stores. Taking stairs. Taking a quick walk around a building before walking inside. Add activity into your life in little ways. Make them a habit. Build it up from there. =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/264/155

Height: 5'5

Lovely. I love your signature and picture
IrishKat is offline   Reply With Quote