WAY TMI - running/high impact and bladder issues - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #1  
Thread Starter
berryblondeboys's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,367

Height: 5'6.5"

Default WAY TMI - running/high impact and bladder issues

Tonight I was taking a walk with my husband while our six year old scootered. There were times he got going fast, so my husband would start running to catch up. Well, I figurered, I've been exercising for 5.5 months and can walk really fast, why not try to run alongside when he runs. I did. It felt great and was fairly easy. HOWEVER, every single step, I felt my bladder leak. Thankfully, I was wearing something to protect against leaks, but I couldn't run a mile without soaking myself and I emptied my bladder before we set out.

Now, I will admit, I'm terrible about doing kegels and I need to do them more, but can doing them really correct this pretty bad problem? I would say with each step, I leak 1 tsp to a tablespoon. It's the same if I do higher impact anything - jumping jacks, propulsion with aerobics etc.

I've had two kids - both HUGE and both vaginally. Things have not been the same since #2 was born.

If it is me just needing to do more kegels, when should I see an improvement? And when should I see a doctor about it if it doesn't get better?

berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #2  
Senior Member
Riemontana's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: montana
Posts: 1,411

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"


Kegel excercises can help but that seems a bit extreme. I would talk to the gyno about it because I think that is troublesome. A friend of mine actually had bladder control repair surgery and she said she didn't know why she waited so long.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #3  
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1


I recommend going to see your doctor. It sounds like you may have some prolapse. Your doctor can refer you to a physical therapist who will confirm you are doing kegels correctly and provide recommendations on how you should be doing them (I know, it sounds crazy - but it does help to do the PT). Also, a doctor can fit you for a pessary device that you can wear while working out. This is a device that helps provide support to your bladder during high impact activities.
KathyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #4  
Senior Member
fitmom's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 986

Height: 5'6


I've had two kids too - vaginally but they were normal-sized. I've done the Kegels regularly since number 2 was born and am a devotee of Yoga/Pilates among all the other exercise I do - which helps strengthen the pelvic floor muscles a lot. But if I were you, I would seek medical help. There are things that can be done, why wait? I hope things get better for you.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.