Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default Help! Advice needed!

As some of you may have read, I have been running for exercise! woohoo! It's been going great, and I am better and better every time! But, there is a huge problem and every day it is becoming more apparent that I am going to have to do something about it. Maybe you guys have been in a situation similar to this:

I run past a house on a hill, and there is always a dog about. Without fail, this dog comes up to me growling and baring it's teeth, hair standing up on it's neck and all. It chases me whether I run or walk, and it gets so close to my legs that I am afraid that I'll accidentally kick it and agitate it further. I've tried getting down to it's level and putting my hands out for it to smell, but this only proves to anger it more. It runs after me growling when I run on the side the house is on or if I run on the other side, and every day it seems to get still closer. Today it jumped up on my back legs as I ran, and I am afraid that one day it might bite me or someone else. I am an animal lover, and my first thought was to try to talk to an owner about it. But, I am afraid to go knock on the door because I am afraid going onto it's property will really put me in danger. I have no idea how else to contact these people. I have heard pepper spray it, but I don't want to hurt her, and I definitely don't think it's a good idea in the first place. After all, this isn't her fault-her owners really should be keeping her in her yard. What would you guys do were you in my place?
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

That dog is working up towards biting you...for sure. I own a German Shepherd and I too am quite familiar with doggie behavior. Your right in not wanting to hurt the dog...and your also correct that it isn't the dog's fault. That said...I would, if reasonably possible, speak to the owners about this problem. Maybe leave a note on their mailbox if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe knockin on their front door. The owners may not know that their dog is chasing runners, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and let them know.

If they do nothing about it, my next step would be to call Animal Control and report the attacks. They will come, pick up the dog, and take to owners to "doggie court"...yes...they have such thing! I would not delay because if what you described about this dog's behavior is accurate...it has "tested the waters enough" and next strike at you will probably be a bite. The dog has already made physical contact with you and has not suffered any negative consequences...it WILL go to the next step.

Not trying to scare you...but don't want to read about you needing 100 stitches or worse from some dog attack that could have been prevented.

All the best.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I would stop running past that house.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/135/130

I would also just find another running route. I wouldn't want to walk up to their door because then the dog might feel threatened with you on it's front steps and really bite you.
Ashley829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #5  

Great advice, Joyfulloser

In reference to the other posters, the thing is, there is no other route that I can take-my absolute goal is to run to this store and back, I know the distance, and I need to be able to run it.Also, the interstate is the other way. I can't run on the interstate. And, I don't drive, so I have to walk past this house to get to the store anyway if I want to go for a walk to get groceries or go to the gas station to get other sundries. That is not our only mode of getting groceries, because father in law also takes us into town, but I don't think I should not be able to run just because someone is not responsible to keep their agressive dog in their yard! Leash laws in KY do apply, and dogs by law have to be contained. I would never ever complain if the dog were't threatening me, but it is, and it could threaten others, and children! And also, I am acutally worried about the dog being hit by a car, or destroyed because it bit someone. I think taking care of the problem is more responsible than just leaving it for someone else possibly. Maybe I could send them a letter voicing my concerns and hope that they listen before I turn them in for animal control. I think I will try to sneak something into their mailbox.

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 03-27-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #6  
it's always something

I think a letter is a great idea. But if I were you, I'd put a stamp on it and let someone else put it in their mailbox
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Well, let me say that if they cared the dog would be better cared for and you would be safer. Don't wait too long for some change to occur; call the animal control. They are paid to do that job and probably know how.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #8  
Miss Melissa

S/C/G: 284/269/165

[QUOTE=joyfulloser;3777758]That dog is working up towards biting you...for sure. I own a German Shepherd and I too am quite familiar with doggie behavior. Your right in not wanting to hurt the dog...and your also correct that it isn't the dog's fault. That said...I would, if reasonably possible, speak to the owners about this problem. Maybe leave a note on their mailbox if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe knockin on their front door. The owners may not know that their dog is chasing runners, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and let them know.

If they do nothing about it, my next step would be to call Animal Control and report the attacks. They will come, pick up the dog, and take to owners to "doggie court"...yes...they have such thing! I would not delay because if what you described about this dog's behavior is accurate...it has "tested the waters enough" and next strike at you will probably be a bite. The dog has already made physical contact with you and has not suffered any negative consequences...it WILL go to the next step.

Not trying to scare you...but don't want to read about you needing 100 stitches or worse from some dog attack that could have been prevented.

All the best.[/QUOTE
I completely agree try a note in the mail box and if that does not work call animal control. That is what they are there for and it sounds as if the owners do not care for it properly and you should not have to be afraid of a dog while you are doing your run.
MelissaMartiinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #9  

Sending a letter today! Thank you for the advice all, I am sure it will work out for the best.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Great idea on the letter if you can't change your route... let us know how the owner responds...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #11  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

In reading this, I agree with the letter then animal control... And I also wonder, does the Postal Carrier also have this problem? I wonder if any others have complained about the same dog. We have an "issue house" on our block that seems to cause most of our problems, and my DH was having a similar problem. He could change his route, so that was our cure.

GL with the letter! If that doesn't work, PLEASE call animal control!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #12  

Hi,

As a lifelong (40 years) runner I've been bothered by this a time or two. One thing to remember is that pet owners really don't see their own pets as any kind of nuisance. Just ask any dog owner if their dog's barking is annoying to them. Before I go any further I should say that I'm an animal lover like you.
One think I read once (and have never tried) is to pretend to throw a rock in the dog's direction. Not sure how much confidence I have in this but I thought I'd pass it along. It's also suggested once in a while you might (when the pet owner won't be able to see it) try tossing a real rock without hitting the dog.
What about laws about a dog being on the loose? Don't most places have leash laws? This is a local matter, its not like you'd need to call the FBI.
Congratulations on making a decision to pursue a healthy lifestyle.
Eliochacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Quote:
This is a local matter, its not like you'd need to call the FBI.
Huh? Animal Control is NOT the FBI! One thing is correct:

Quote:
pet owners really don't see their own pets as any kind of nuisance.
Hence, my recommendation to write the neighbor a little "letter" giving them the CHANCE to remedy the situation.

Barring their cooperation, I don't see the OP has any other choice but to involve the LOCAL Animal Control division which is actually STATE run.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/175/No idea

Height: 6'3

Personally, if the dog continued to jump on me I would smack it on the nose. If you keep letting it do whatever it wants, it's going to figure it's the dominant one in this little relationship.

The more it persists, the more it gets smacked. Simple as that.

-L89
Lurker89 is offline   Reply With Quote