Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #1  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Default advice on equipment, please?

I just got back from lots of travelling (read that eating off plan) and was looking forward to getting back to work on my treadmill. But it is DEAD. It seems to be the computer. It started elevating to max on its own, then the tread felt to be slipping, but wasn't. It was stopping and starting again every second, then stopped while still listing itself as going several mph.

Anyway, I wanted to hear what equipment you have liked, disliked, found effective, etc.

I'm middle aged, still very heavy, and with joint problems.

Thanks for your time!
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

You might want to get a quote on having it fixed?

I believe I have a ProForm. I got it from Sears years ago. It was like an $800 TM on sale for $600. Delivery was heck. (They came with a broken TM and then it was SUCH a hassle to get the delivery rescheduled. And I have heard other people complain about Sears' delivery.) Butmy TM has been good to me. I keep moving it around the house. It started in the basement - then the LR, then a BR, then the DR, then to another BR... and now we are putting it back in the basement... Lol! It is SO heavy. My hubby is not pleased with all the moving, but it has held up despite being moved around.

It has shocks in it. Those are awesome. I highly recommend a TM with shocks.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #3  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Thanks!

That's exactly what happened to us, though from a different store. We were delivered the wrong machine, and it was busted to heck besides. We finally got them to deliver what we ordered, but I had to press a credible threat.

My old machine is a Proform 650, which we liked and have used. We've moved plenty, so I cannot really grumble. I just want to make a good decision on it's replacement so thought I'd gather opinions.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

If you have joint problems I'd definitely recommend getting an elliptical. I don't have joint problems but that didn't stop me from buying one for my home and absolutely loving it. I have a ProForm and it folds up nicely and wheels somewhat easily from room to room. I say somewhat because I have carpeting! But if you are able to get your treadmill fixed then I'd stick with that. That's my second favorite piece of cardio equipment!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/158/145

Height: 5'7

I've had my LANDICE treadmill for about 6 months now. It's a bit pricey but it has a lifetime warranty for parts (1 year labor). I've known too many people who bought cheap treadmills that broke after a month so I decided to splurge and spend the extra money (part of my "new car" money). It's also made in America, which I like. I'm trying to avoid the cheap "Made in China" stuff if I can. I use it almost every day so it has definitely been worth it so far. I have no excuses not to exercise now. I have it set up to watch TV and DVDs which helps the time pass. I really prefer running outside, but with bad weather and winter cold and summer heat it'll keep my running program going - and now I have no excuse to wimp out...
Alenna 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I too have and would HIGHLY recommend a Landice (all they make is treadmills and are arguably the BEST). I did not pay the $4k price tag for a new Landice...but bought a used model off craigslist for $300. It was probably about 8 yrs old...but IMHO...a USED Landice is worth 10 brand new ProForms...they are built to last which is why they can offer a LIFETIME Warranty on their models.

That said...there are a few other really good models out there such as LifeFitness and Sole, but I wouldn't get one unless it was cheap off craigslist...you can literally save thousands!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote