Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

Default you DO have time, quit making excuses!!!

One of my best girlfriends (who definitely falls in the obese category) commented on my weight loss recently and said, "I wish I could do what you've done, but I don't have the money for healthy food or a gym membership. And even if I did, I don't have time to go to one."

I have not been to a gym or had a membership to a gym at all throughout my weight loss journey. Nor have I had a bunch of money. But I've made my health a priority regardless.

I should point out that my friend without time or money to spend on food and exercise watches at least two hours of tv each night and goes to the movies twice a week (sometimes seeing the same move more than once in theaters and always with a large popcorn and soda).

I've seen a few posts lately about people who are not able to (really choosing not to) exercise due to weather, time, no gym membership, no treadmill, etc. And I think it's time we all stop making excuses! My mom is another one who says she never has time to exercise but spends probably about 4 hrs a night watching tv or playing games on her computer. I know there are real reasons and times we're not able to exercise, but that's the exception not the rule.

Let's make ourselves a priority ladies (and dudes) and stop finding reasons to be unhealthy. Cuz if you look for excuses, you WILL find them.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

True! We all have the same 24 hours in a day, 168 hours in a week - how we choose to use them is what determines how we do in LIFE, not just weight loss. Do we take time to plan healthy meals and do a healthy marketing run? Do we plan in time to be active? I always think that "madame curie, michelangelo, etc. also had 24 hours in a day..." puts things in perspective. How do WE use them to improve our lives?
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Like, Like, Like!!! Great post.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

It's true- I probably right then and there- not to be mean of course- pointed out that not once had I stepped foot into a gym. In fact me personally I'm doing better on my own than without a gym.

And eating out is costly! If you spend $5 a meal, 3x a day that's $15 a day, that's $450 a month- which is MORE than I spend for the whole family's eating budget in a month (3 of us).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

Well said, Ladies! Until we decide that we want the weight loss for ourselves and make it our priority it is NOT going to one!!! Your friend is not were you are and is not ready to make that decision. Hopefully, you wil continue to be the role model that she needs to she is its possible for her to accomplish the same goal...she just needs to start! If not, you may both go separate ways in the future because you are not going to follow in her ways. KUDOS for you for sticking to your goals.
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #6  

The funny thing is she KNOWS I don't have a gym membership. She's seen me running up and down the stairs for exercise. Oh, and both she and my mom use the weather excuse a lot. We live near Seattle, yes, it rains, but I know they both have good raincoats and rain boots which I do not have (the boots, I do have a good jacket).
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #7  

^^^ that was in response to Beerab's post. Just to clarify.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #8  

Quote:
madame curie, michelangelo, etc. also had 24 hours in a day.
Of course, neither Michaelangelo nor Marie Curie had young kids, an hour-plus commute each way to paid work, and full or primary responsibility for cleaning, cooking, and childcare at home outside of paid work.

I'm not a gym person but I think the idea that everyones time is infinitely flexible just doesn't hold water. And I think it's kind of condescending and dismissive to compare contemporary everywoman with people who by virtue of wealth, power, and sex had very different lives and responsibilities.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
...if you look for excuses, you WILL find them.
I didn't take the OP's post as condescending at all....I think the quote above sums it up quite nicely! In other words..."excuses" don't pay bills..."excuses" don't make us healthy...etc., etc.

The everyday "contemporary everywoman" can practice WALL SQUATS over the commode during bathroom breaks. She can incorporate exercise into many of her daily responsibilities, she can eat smaller portions and fruit and maybe even a veggie here and again....bottom line, if people want this...STOP THE EXCUSES and do like Nike say...JUST DO IT!!!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 02-23-2011 at 07:01 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

I wish we had a "like" button, because I certainly do like this post!
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #11  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

I don't think it's condescending at all! I think it's great advice to stop and prioritize what is really important to you in life. If you really want to fit exercise or healthy eating into your life, you will find a way to make it work. If you don't really want it, you'll find excuses to use to try and explain why it won't work for you.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #13  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitkristi View Post
*LIKE*
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #14  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Of course, neither Michaelangelo nor Marie Curie had young kids, an hour-plus commute each way to paid work, and full or primary responsibility for cleaning, cooking, and childcare at home outside of paid work.

I'm not a gym person but I think the idea that everyones time is infinitely flexible just doesn't hold water. And I think it's kind of condescending and dismissive to compare contemporary everywoman with people who by virtue of wealth, power, and sex had very different lives and responsibilities.
I just want to say that I don't think anyone wants to dismiss or condescend to you (or me or millions of us overburdened, weary, hardworking women!). Still, we all do have to make time when there doesn't seem to be any. If I were your neighbor I would let you drop off the kids and go for a jog!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

It is so true. People who want to find excuses or reasons that they can't do things, will always find them. Even if they are good reasons like kids and households and illness and busy schedules and being doctors or lawyers or having no job, or living in cold weather or hot weather or rainy weather or being tired or not having the right clothes or being in a bad neighborhood or what have you.

Because for every single person in that situation saying "I can't do it" there are people saying "I'm doing it."

And people who really truly want to make their health a priority will find a way.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote