Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 06:03 PM   #1  

Question Recumbent bike

I am thinking about buying an recumbent bike to use for exercise. I have been walking, but living in cold, snowy Wyoming makes getting out to walk hard sometimes.

Anyway, I weigh about 340 pounds and was wondering if any one knew of a recumbent bike that would be good for some one my size. I have been looking all over the webb and finding that most of them have weight limits of 250 pounds. I am wondering if some of the weight limits are due to the programing capabilities of the monitors. I guess some of them look like the might not be strong enough to hold someone my size. Any body have any ideas on this?

I have tried exercise tapes but don't like them. I have even tried the walking tapes but in my small apartment (in an upstairs apartment), I am not comfortable with those either.

Any information you guys can suggest about the bikes will be greatly appreciated. Any body have one that has worked for them?
Fiff
Old 01-10-2003, 09:16 PM   #2  

Default Bike

HI
I don't know what kind of bike a recumbrent bike is. But I have a suggestion. I use a bike called a "simcycle" I got it off e-bay for only 50.00 total. It comes with software so while you are pedaling it looks like you are traveling though all kinds of places like the redwoods park. Or you can use it when watching TV, reading, doing homework, talking on the phone. The good thing about it is it keeps your hands free and you don't have to worry about the weight cause you use it while sitting on a chair. And trust me..it is a excellent work out.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:25 AM   #3  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Hi Fiff!

You seem to have chosen a good type of machine, recumbent bikes are excellent for people carrying a lot of weight, and those who have weak backs.

Don't let the 250lb limit put you off. Some of the bikes are indeed limited like this because of the monitors. I don't know about machines available in the US so I would advise you write or e-mail all of the manufacturers and explain your situation.

You should find a manufacturer who will give you a straight answer and some good advice. You will also be alerting them to a whole new market! If they don't have a suitable product today they may have one tomorrow if we all ask them the right questions!

Good luck, Stef
Closed Thread