Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Could I run a marathon????

I want to run a full marathon really badly, but something mentally is just telling me that it would be difficult. I ran my first half in November, which was my first race ever. I'm registered for another in August and planning on another in December. The plan would be to run LA in 2012, which would time out perfectly for me. My milage right now is in the 20 per week range and I hope to increase it slightly with my training for my halves. So I know in that sense I'm in a good place and I know that people with a lot less experience than me do them all the time; but I just am having a really hard time believing that I can. I also want it to be as enjoyable as my half was and I have a hard time thinking that anything over 15 or so miles would be enjoyable. So anyway, any words of wisdom or stories of how you convinced yourself that running a full marathon was a good idea

Last edited by ncuneo; 01-31-2011 at 08:50 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

Go for it ....... I'm sure you can .... following a trining programme gets you there slowly but surely ....

Although I am one myself who thinks it may be on the too hard basket just yet ..... I've got a plan to run one before I'm 40 which gives me until the end of 2012.....

I never thought I could do it a half myself but a friend talked me into it and I did it and she didn't!!! .... I would recommend John Bingham's book Marathons for Mortals .... if you haven't read it already .... I found it very entertaining and inspirational .

Perhaps you can inspire me .... when I get a little more in shape to start really thinking about this goal too ....

Last edited by HMM3; 01-31-2011 at 11:31 PM.
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/136/133

Height: 5'-5"

Of course you could! You've already ran a half and have a year (ish?) worth of running under your belt. Concentrate on slowly increasing your mileage this year. A base of 30-35mpw is perfect to start marathon training on.

Are there any races around you that are 15-20 miles in distance? (A 25K? 30K?) Running a race over the HM distance should give you some confidence going into marathon training.

Honestly, it took me about 2.5 years of consistant running to feel ready to embark on marathon (actually, ultramarathon!) training. I'm running a 50K this May.
Trail Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #4  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Yes you can do it!!
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yes you probably can -- and yes, it will be difficult. Running a full marathon is more than twice the work than a half IMO, there's a lot more training involved and it's just a really long way.

I ran my first marathon when I had been running only a couple of years. Like you, I had done several half marathons and was running about 15-20 miles per week. I trained on my own and found the process to be VERY challenging. I finished ... but my knees hurt, I was exhausted, and frankly, almost burned out on running. I swore I'd NEVER do another full marathon and essentially stopped running for a while.

Well ... fast forward a couple of years ... started running again, started running half marathons again, and fell into an informal running group. I trained with them, got stronger, and built up a much better running base. Eventually I felt ready to try again and long story short, ran my second marathon last September (in Idaho, with my sister) and just finished the Disney Goofy race and a half challenge a few weeks ago. (that's where you run the half marathon on Saturday followed by the full marathon the next day on Sunday). These races were an absolute blast -- hard, yes -- but oh so worth it. I'm planning to do Goofy again next year. And I'm 51.

What made the difference? I have a better running base (25-30 miles per week), I am actively cross training and strength training which helps prevent injury, and I have a wonderfully supportive and experienced running group. Having running buddies makes those long runs MUCH more pleasant, and we can help each other through aches/pains and the difficult days. Celebrating with friends after a successful race is the best thing ever!

So, yes, if you are sufficiently motivated, you can absolutely do it too. I'd highly recommend training with others with similar goals, there is great "power of the group". It will get you through long runs that you never thought you'd make it through that day. If you can find more experienced runners, they can coach you through training questions too. Good luck!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

of course you can

but 2012 is a long ways away it will be hard to stay motivated for so long (IMHO) burnouts a B**ch!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote