Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #1  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Default Running outside and water

I've been meaning to ask this for decades. Obviously, when you're using a treadmill, water isn't a biggie because you have a cup holder on it. But for those of you who run outside... what do you do about water? Do you carry a bottle around with you? Doesn't the heaviness and whooshiness of the bottle bother you, and isn't it annoying to hold onto it the whole time? Do they make special cup holders for runners that you can strap onto your hips or back? Or do you just drink water before and after your run?

The number one thing to deter me from running outside, is the water dilemma. I don't want to carry my water with me, but I don't think I'd like not having it with me.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #2  
No description available.

I don't worry about water on the run if I'm running less than 10 miles or so. I'm sure there's an official recommendation and maybe one of our experienced marathoners will pop in. I do make sure I'm well hydrated all the time though, as best as I can. If you plan a loop run, you could stash a water bottle at the start of the run so you can have a bit when you pass by again. They also make little belts that hold small water bottles or even Camelback backpacks, but I wouldn't bother with those unless I was training for a marathon or an ultramarathon.

How far/long do you run?

Other factors would include heat, time of day, altitude, general fitness and overall health I suppose when deciding how long or far to run without a drink.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I absolutely CANNOT run inside or out without my water. After about 10 mins, my lips start getting dry...then 5 minutes later...dry throat...the 5 mins later dry scratchy throat...and so on...and so on....until I'm choking on CHALK!!! lol!

That said, I run with my water bottle in my hand. I think of it as a 1 lb weight and alternate hands every now and again. The only down side is that the longer I run, the more heat my body builds...the more heat, the hotter the water is...the last chug is usually warm!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

How can you people drink and run at the same time? I hate feeling water slosh around inside me so I make sure I'm emptied out before I start a run. I just drink some water afterwards.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote