Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/165

Height: 5' 6"

Default Biking?

I was wondering how viable is biking as exercise? I have pretty severe ADD and sitting in a gym or at home for exercise just isn't for me. There is a park nearby that I could ride my bike at (once I fix the flat tire) but I was wondering how useful it would be.

I enjoy walking but living in Oklahoma it is currently in the 100's with a heat index upwards of 110 so walking is insanely hot but biking at least gives you a cooling cross breeze.
RobertsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Well it provides aerobic exercise and strengthens your legs and core. Seems pretty good to me. Something enjoyable can be really good for you. And it gives you a chance to explore your surrounding, find bike trails, sign up for bike rides, etc.

Have fun and don't forget your helmet!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Any movement is better than no movement at all... get on your bike and have fun
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

I was wondering the same thing.. I have trouble running and walking since I had knee surgery and think that this would be a great way to get my leg strengh back up and work on loosing some weight at the same time.

If I go around the block its a little over a mile.. May have to try it until It snows

ETA: The road is not flat it has a few hills up and down so *crosses fingers* Here's trying

Last edited by Princess Tiefling; 08-28-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Riding a bike is great exercise and can be easier on your back and knees. Make sure you bring plenty of water and as seagirl said, don't forget a helmet!

Just found this page to figure out calories burned (always an estimate but gives you a way to compare to other types of exercise).
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Biking is what you make it. It can be nice and leisurely or it can be one heck of a workout.

Personally, I'm a big fan of cycling class. In there, you're constantly doing something different, which is awesome for ADD, trust me! I also love the class environment and am motivated by those around me.

I also enjoy biking on a local bike trail which used to be a railway, so it's flat. I'll bike 26 miles on that trail, but again...no hills. It takes 2 hours and I feel great when I'm done. It's definitely a workout.

Biking on hilly terrain is also a great workout and can give you the same benefits in a shorter amount of time.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #7  

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm hoping to be able to repair my poor old bike soon. Gotta save money to get the front and back tires fixed.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #8  

I got a new bike, since it was only $30 more than the repairs. I can't believe how tiring it is to ride. I used to be able to ride for hours and hours and now I can barely make it twice around the block without heaving. My stupid bike seat was messed up at first but Robert fixed it for me and then it rained. So I'm hoping SOON I will get to ride again. I am going to start working up to going for miles and miles.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #9  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Biking is an outstanding exercise - I do it regularly and find it can be exhilirating as well as zero-impact and an excellent calorie-burner. I prefer it to running by a wide margin.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote