Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #1  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Recommendation: HR Monitor, Cheap & Simple

I'm debating about getting a heart rate monitor and have looked at several online. They are all much more gadgety than what I need. I already use a Nike+ for distance, time, calories burned, and pace. I want a device that just monitors my heart rate. Nothing else. And I'd prefer to pay no more than $20. Any suggestions?

(Also wondering does anyone know if using another gadget while using the Nike+ would cause interference and inaccurate readings?)

And just out of curiosity...would I look like a robotic freak running with an MP3 player AND a Nike+ AND a hr monitor?

Last edited by Rochester; 07-21-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #2  
nightcrawler

S/C/G: 227/214/140

Height: 5'5"

Ebay has some good looking heart rate monitors. I just finished a search for it and there were a lot of buy it now options that are also not expensive (yay! no bidding). and no, you won't look lie a robotic freak with all those gadgets. a lot of heart rate monitors pass as watches, so you should be good.

Last edited by wikidsnyper; 07-21-2010 at 07:01 PM.
wikidsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #3  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I don't know...they do say other gadgets can interfere with the signal from the ipod to the shoe...only thing you can do is try it! Hopefully it doesn't cause problems. Maybe if the watch is put on the other hand then your ipod?
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #4  

I bought a cheap heart rate monitor online for Walmart for $20...same one sold in the store for $30. I don't fully trust it, but I think it's a good guideline and seems to work well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/S7-HR-Monitor/10719753
The price has gone up a little since I purchased it.
1bighog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #5  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Stopping and physically taking your heart rate is about as reliable as a cheap HR Monitor. I'm on second one in 4 years. The first one I paid 35 bucks for. The watch was black and unattractive so I never wore it anytime else. The chest strap finally pulled apart so I went hunting for a new one. Found a Polar on amazon.com with a beautiful watch for less than $100. I love it as a training tool and as a time piece.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #6  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

@wikidsnyper - I looked on eBay and I was kinna freaked out by all the no-name heart monitors from Hong Kong!

@1bighog - I looked at that one. It's in my price range but it's a bit more complicated than I'd like.

@mortonpixie - Would you believe that I find it impossible to take my own pulse? I can't find it, and even if I am lucky enough to find it, I can't count it!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote