Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Proper Running Form? And running shoes on a budget please...

Ok... so... I got back from my W2D2 of C25K... and... my shins were KILLING me. Not once since I'ven been running had I had this kind of pain.

I asked my parents... my Dad said it must be shin splints, because I'm not running correctly.

I thought running was running. Guess not.

So... what is proper running form? And... how do you deal with shin splints? (if that's what I have)

I was fine everywhere else while I was running... felt great... I just had this sharp pain in my shins. (shins are the mid part of the front of your lower leg right?)

Also... the shoes I'm currently using will have their third birthday this August... and I need a new pair.

So... thoughts about a good pair of shoes on a budget? I might be able to find a pair on sale... but I know my parents wouldn't want to pay any more than $50... more like $30 or $20.

I'm wanting to continue running... maybe do some marathons later on. So I'm wanting a good pair of shoes. Preferably shoes that'll work on multiple terrains, dirt road primarily though.

Thanks guys!

ETA: just went looking in the stickies... found the thing on shin splits... hehe... whoops:

Other overload causes include:

■Exercising on hard surfaces, like concrete; - the only place I really can run at the moment
■Exercising on uneven ground; - it can be uneven... yes.
■Beginning an exercise program after a long lay-off period; - one day isn't a long lay-off... right?
■Increasing exercise intensity or duration too quickly; - I'm following the C25K...
■Exercising in worn out or ill fitting shoes; and - mine will have their third birthday this August... like I said... so yeah. Definately worn out.
■Excessive uphill or downhill running. - did some this weekend... that's what my grandparents' land is made up of, I was there this weekend... slight hills... all over the place.

Last edited by Serbrider; 06-01-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #2  
No description available.

For shin splints, make sure you are stretching your calves. You can ice your shins. Yeah, new shoes are a good idea. Check out the shoe sticky at the top of the exercise forum.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #3  

Yeah... saw that as well.

Thanks...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

your *prob* not going to be able to find a good pair for less than 75-80 bucks...count on spending 100! You need to go to a specialty runnign store, where they will analyze your gait, and fit you with the proper shoes for YOUR running form.... tell your dad your form isnt bad, you just dont have the right foot ware to compensate for you personal gait and running style The right shoes will make ALL thedifference (and possible insoles as well) Shin splints are technically a tendonitis of the medial tibial tendon (running down the front of your calf) something about your foot, such as the arch, or lack there of, or possibly your pronation/underpronation is causing strain on that tendon....... EASILY fixed with the right shoes!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #5  

The problem mkroyer is that my parents are unwilling to spend that amount of money... and I don't have the funds to do it myself.

I might go buy a specialty store and try on some shoes... but when I buy them... only things on sale/things below $50 will my parents be willing to buy.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #6  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Can you get a job, sell something on ebay, or babysit or something? If you presented your case to your parents -- about how you need new shoes and how you are trying to be healthy -- wouldn't they let you work off the price of the shoes?

I agree. If you want to run marathons, $30 shoes aren't going to cut it. Surely your parents are reasonable enough to understand that.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #7  

I just recently resigned from my job because we are moving. I would just pay with the money I have saved up... but I was hoping to use that money for something else.

I'm not looking at doing marathons all the time, or like crazy... I was thinking more like one here or there.

I do need new shoes. But my parents are unwilling to spend $100+ on them. She went nuts when she saw in a running magazine their "budget" shoes being at $80.

They want to get me new shoes. But I'm not allowed to get nice ones. I dunno... I just don't understand them.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #8  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

how about you offer to pay half and half? You could find an alright pair for $80, meet your parents halfway. At $40 each, it sounds like it would be okay for them. If it's in your budget too, then go for it.
Then you get nice shoes, AND your parents are happy they didn't spend a lot of money on them. Win-win.
RienQueNny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #9  
One step at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RienQueNny View Post
how about you offer to pay half and half? You could find an alright pair for $80, meet your parents halfway. At $40 each, it sounds like it would be okay for them. If it's in your budget too, then go for it.
Then you get nice shoes, AND your parents are happy they didn't spend a lot of money on them. Win-win.
^This.

My husband and I run in $80 shoes. I've been running in Nike Air Pegasus' (Pegasi?) since 2001. He's in some sort of New Balance shoe. We both went to a specialty running store.

$40 from you and $40 matched by your parents should get you an acceptable shoe.

Don't make this an excuse to not accomplish something.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #10  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

Lightbulb Barefoot Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
I asked my parents... my Dad said it must be shin splints, because I'm not running correctly.

I thought running was running. Guess not.

So... what is proper running form? And... how do you deal with shin splints? (if that's what I have)[/B]
Hi there! I have a LOT of opinions on this topic, and they are slightly controversial... so you are welcome to disagree with me.

I used to suffer from horrible, horrible shin pain when running. I would have to take weeks off at a time to let them heal. But as soon as I would start running again, I would start hurting again.

I went to the most elite running stores and got ungodly expensive shoes with inserts that were custom molded for my feet. They made the pain worse.

After a little research on the subject, I learned about barefoot running. I read the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and I read some other books on Chi running and barefoot running.

So I ditched the running shoes and haven't had shin pain since. I run in minimalist shoes called Vibram Five Fingers. I will attempt to attach a picture of them to this post.

I KNOW it sounds completely bizzare and hippy dippy! But there is research to show that running shoes are the WORST shoes to run in. They don't allow your foot and body to do what it was made to do.

Even if you think I'm full of baloney, check out Born to Run and read at least half of it.

Good luck with your running and your shin pain!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VFF.jpg (20.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by My Body in Motion; 06-03-2010 at 09:51 AM.
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

The # 1 cause of shin splints for me was always my shoes were too old or wrong. Go get fitted and find out what TYPE of shoe you need and then go to discount online stores and look for clearance. You will need to do lots of homework because you will need to know different shoes in different brands than what may be available at the running store. Try on as many different styles as possible.

If you want to do marathons this will not be the shoes you will be wearing by then.

I am not opposed to the barefoot running but a) vibrams aren't much cheaper. b) barefoot purists argue that vibrams are not barefoot and c) it takes a while to transition to barefoot running. Just as many injuries occur from people switching too fast.

Last edited by ennay; 06-03-2010 at 10:29 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #12  
One step at a time...

I'm not trying to be snarky, but what if you step on a rock? Or go trail running?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #13  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

I wear the vibrams just for that reason, to protect the bottoms of my feet from rocks, glass, etc.
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote