Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #1  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Default Runners! I need some help!

Hey girls (and guys!)!!!

I have a few quick questions. I skimmed through the runners FAQ above and couldn't find what I needed so I thought I would try and ask.

First, today is W1D3 of C25k--but I had to stop early. I have some crazy pain in my left hip and pain in my right knee. Is this a shoe issue maybe? My trainers are a few too many years old and I may need to bite the bullet and buy good ones.

Here's my other questions:

What sort of PRE-run stretching do you do? I like to incorporate high knees and butt kicks to stretch out...but for some reason an old adage of NO STATIC STRETCHING before workout is chiming in my head.... but should I do some hip circles or something to loosen up anyway?

I have a pretty good stretch planned for my POST-run but this pre run stuff is confusing. Also, is my nutrition hindering me?

Generally, I have been eating my breakfast at 5 am (grilled cheese--about 200-ish cals) with a 17 ounce bottle of water. The run at 5:45a. The post-run, I drink a BOOST strawberry nutrition drink (15 proteins).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am trying to shake up my workout by starting to run. It sounds really fun--and I want in on it!

Last edited by parkedout; 05-11-2010 at 12:01 PM.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #2  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I always stretch before I run. I warm up first with a 5 minute brisk walk, then I stop and do this. I dunno if I should do more, but it gets me nice and loosey goosey.

And DEFINITELY invest in a new pair of shoes. You wanna get a good pair. Go to a running store and get fitted. Usually they watch you walk/run and look at your gait and stuff to get you a pair that are custom for you.

I'm sorry but I don't know what could be causing the hip/knee pain. Buy a new pair of shoes, and stretch, and see if things improve. Oh, and this sounds weird, but make sure you're getting enough calcium. I had some weird leg pains when I started, and upped my calcium for an unrelated reason, and the pain went away. It probably isn't the problem, but women tend to not get enough as it is, so do it anyway! lol Oh, and if the pain doesn't go away, see a doc. But that's obvious haha.

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 05-11-2010 at 12:19 PM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #3  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome to the world of running. It is a great sport and wonderful exercise.

Yes, get new shoes. Old shoes won't due for high impact exercise for running. Invest in a good pair and ask the sales associate for help. The right shoe varies by your size, arches, pronation (lean in or out on your heels), etc.

As for stretching, there is a lot of controversy. Research has made different conclusions on pre-run stretching. At the very least, stretching does no harm. You can warm up for 5 minutes before you stretch so your muscles are a little more flexible.

It sounds like the hip/knee pain is related to your irritation of your iliotibial band (ITB). The ITB is like a tendon and when it gets tight it can cause hip pain and pain on the side of the knee. I had ITB problems in the past and stretching helps a lot. You can Google iliotibial band stretching to find exercises. Here's something I pulled up on a physical therapy site:

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/...Bstretches.htm

Fortunately, my ITB problem disappeared pretty quickly and I haven't had further problems. I'd try good shoes and stretching and see if the problem resolves.

Enjoy.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I never ever ever ever ever stretch cold. If I do pre run stretching I warm up for a minimum of 5 -10 minutes, then stretch. Active movement like leg swings and calf flexes are a warming exercise.

But yes, your shoes could be the problem.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Warm-up by walking only...cool down by walking and then stretching...
Definitely get new shoes at a reputable running store...

If you can stomach eating at that time by all means eat the grilled cheese, I just can't so I run on coffee... Afterwards I have my breakfast of berries, flax, sunflower seeds and boiled eggs...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #6  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Thanks for all the great tips!

I am looking into shoes now. I think I will go with another pair of Asics, which is good value for the money.

Also, I got a brace for the knee.

This morning, I walked for five minutes. Stopped... did the hip opening stretches, butt kicks, and high knees...then I walked ANOTHER five minutes and began the intervals(which in week one are 60 secs run, 90 secs recovery walk) and then did a 5 minute cool down...Plus I did all the stretching I usually do...twice.

Hips and knees feel fine today.

I am skipping tomorrow and starting Week Two on Friday!

Thanks SO much!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #7  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't stretch before a run... I walk for a bit to warm up my legs, but that's it. I agree with the ITB problems... I have that problem in my right hip/knee. If the brace doesn't work, consider looking into a foam roller. That thing is seriously a godsend for all my running ailments. I was just telling my husband last night the best investment ($20) I made on running gear was my foam roller! It takes away my ITB problems pretty quickly. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9911
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I found some great tips for warming up through nike.com I do some walking lunges - side lunges and back lunges. I also do some butt kicks lol I don't do any stretching before either. Just because I have heard you can injure yourself if you stretch without your muscles being warmed up.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote