Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/240/130

Height: 5' 4"

Default Swelling in ankles, tight calves, sedentary job

Hi all.

I joined this forum because I thought I might be able to get some answers or advice -- you're an awesome bunch. I have been lurking for a while and finally joined.

I am 20 years old, about 240 lbs. I started a sedentary job last summer where I started packing on the pounds and I know my blood pressure has gone up since then. I've tried to control it with eating less salt and whatnot, but since I started my job I also have had problems with ankle swelling. After my shift my socks have left an indentation. My calves feel tight all the time, and sore, and like I could have a charley horse if I stretch them the wrong way. I wake up and they are like this as well. I did not have these problems until I started my job.

Is this common? Is this something any of you experience? And if so, what do you do to fix it? Will exercising before work and after work improve my calf tightness? What kind of brief exercises could I do while working on breaks or lunch? While I work I must keep one foot on a pedal since I do transcription. Will exercising benefit me at all? I hope so...I want to get back to the way my legs used to feel.

If I walk a lot during a weekend or something I can feel my tightness going away somewhat, but my ankles still swell. It's non-pitting, but I know they are swollen. I guess this is due to my being overweight. I don't have pain when walking. Just tightness.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by gagamonster; 02-26-2010 at 04:35 PM.
gagamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

For me, ankle swelling is directly related to my blood pressure, so I'd monitor it carefully. Make sure you're drinking enough water, and really watch your sodium to see if you're getting more than you realize.

When my legs feel like that, I get up and move around whenever I need to, and I like to do calf stretches or whatever it's called when you stand on tiptoe and go back down. I just do as many reps as I can until my calves feel tired. And if it doesn't go away, I figure it's a sign that I need to run. Any kind of exercise, really. It takes your mind off it anyway.
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote