Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Need snack/exercise advice

I am considering re-joining a fitness class I took for one month back in March. The class made me SOOOO hungry even though I ate dinner beforehand. If I start taking it again I am going to wait to eat dinner after the class - which might sound dangerous to some but I am going to try it. What I want to know is what would a good energy snack be that I can eat before the workout? Before I would try to eat dinner early enough so that I wouldn't cramp up during the class, but then I would get home and feel starved and eat the whole kitchen. I am finally on track with the food and understand what I need to do food wise so now I want to add in more exercise. I really think this class will boost my weight loss.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

lowfat chocolate milk.

I mix dark chocolate powder with 8 oz of 1% milk and drink it right before and right after a work out. Mine is not sweet but you could add a touch of sugar to make it palatable (or use drinking chocolate).

You can google for info on this - here's one:
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recip...after-workout/

As a bonus, I find milk very filling. So this is helping replenish muscles *and* making me less interested in snacks.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #3  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I had the same problem with the lunchtime step classes I was taking. I'd each my lunch before leaving for the gym but then be absolutely starving afterwards, as if I'd never even eaten earlier.
So for the last couple of weeks I've made my lunch before leaving, so it's ready as soon as I get home, and instead I have a cereal bar which has carbs and a little protein which although it doesn't fill me does satisfy me enough to get me through the class. I've heard a small amount of carbs is the best thing to have before a workout to satisfy you and give you the energy for your workout. Will be interested to hear what snacks others choose pre-workout.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 299/?/170

Height: 6'1"

I am not sure how many calories you are trying to stay at but what I have before workouts is a protein drink and a piece of fruit. I love EAS Myoplex CarbAdvantage that I get at SAM's. They have 110 calories and 17 g of protein. Plus they are prepackaged so I can just grab one and go (no mixing), plus lots of vitamins, including calcium. I usually drink that and eat an apple or banana. For a change I sometimes eat a Fiber One bar (not sure who makes them). They are yummy with lots of whole grains and fiber for around 140 calories.
Med School Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'd suggest eating the same way I eat pre-morning workout. I eat an egg or a banana or an apple or a protein bar. Fruit with nut butter is excellent.

For strength training, feed with protein.
For cardio, feed with carbs.

So for a pre workout snack, I like to combine the two.

Mary, I'm glad you posted this! In another post you mentioned "minor" exercise and I almost said something. It's wonderful to see you so motivated!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Any combination of some protein, some good carbs, and a little good fat ought to sustain you enough to get through your workout. But do make sure you eat VERY SOON after the workout, too, because with your diabetes and history it's highly likely that you will experience reactive hypoglycemia if you don't get a good meal in.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #7  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Since I've started jogging, I've noticed that I, too, feel famished after working out. In the past, I would time my workout after a main meal (usually breakfast) and before a snack. Now, I modified my eating pattern so I eat my snack before my workout and then eat my main meal after. My blood glucose has responded well to the change and I avoid feeling hungry.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #8  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

This class is a combination aerobic, calesthenics and kickboxing and lasts 1 hour 3 days a week. It sounds like a protein bar with high carb and/or a banana would be good to eat beforehand. Thanks everyone!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote