Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 12:09 PM   #1  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Talking Everyday Exercisers ~July~

Thought that I'd start a new thread for the new month!

Had yesterday off for Canada Day... that was great, but doesn't it seem like long weekends go faster than regular ones?

The good news is that we got to spend the night in tne new house on Sunday! I went down to the farm to visit DH, who is staying in the travel trailer to keep an eye on the house, and I didn't want to sleep in that tiny little bed, unless I absolutely HAD to... so DH and his dad pulled the new mattresses into the house, and we slept on that... no power, no water, no toilets! It was great! Anyway, they are pouring the concrete basement floor either today or tomorrow, then hopefully the plumber will get the septic tank and stuff done by the weekend, meaning, I might be able to move in then! Yay!

As for my "everyday" exercising... I AM going to Curves today, no ifs ands or buts about it! I swear to you guys that I will be able to come on here tomorrow and proudly announce how my first day back was! No foolin! Otherwise, on Saturday, I went for a short bike ride... Sunday, a long walk with DH... but not much yesterday. At least I'm doing something now! And shortly I'll be moving and unpacking, which has to count for something!

Well, I'm not sure if you guys will be around with the Fourth of July and all, but if not, hope you have a great one!
Old 07-03-2002, 10:14 AM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Talking

Yippee! You guessed it ~ I went back to Curves yesterday, and it was awesome! Had a great workout, and kept me heartrate at about the right rate, and I'm not even sore today!

And I got weighed/measured ~ just for fun, since I'm not allowed to "officially" weigh/measure... and I'm up a total of 2.5 pounds from the last time, which was two days after this little one was conceived.... so that's a pretty accurate pre-pg weight! So, 2.5 pounds is, I think, great for the first trimester, and I'm very happy with that! My waist has expanded by 3 inches, and my belly/hips only about a 1/2 inch... Anyway, they wrote this all in my chart, including how far along I am, and will continue to do so for my entire pg... I just have to remember to go in for weigh/measure at the beginning of each calendar month!

Anyway, noticed that a bunch of people have been checking out this thread... please post, we'd love to have you join us!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:35 AM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thumbs down

Ho hum! Just sitting here talking to myself again, but at least it keeps the thread bumped!

Went to Curves again last night after work, and it felt great! I am sooooo glad that I got back into it! So, that is my 2 times for this week, and I hope to go M-W-F next week, and for most weeks after that... Loving it!

Had an awesome dr's appt too, baby sounds great, measuring ok, only up 2.5 pounds from last visit, which is right on target, and dr answered a few of my "curiousity" questions about delivery, so I'm feeling pretty good.

Will be away at the farm this weekend, moving stuff in (!), and getting the house ready... so I'll see you all on Monday!
Old 07-07-2002, 09:42 AM   #4  

Hi Marvin! I kept checking the old thread for new messages and didn't notice this one until today. Thanks for starting it. Sorry to leave you here talking to yourself! Sounds like things are coming along well with the house. Did you get to do any moving this weekend? Congrats on getting back to Curves and on keeping your weight in a good range for the first trimester. Sounds like you are doing great!

Well, remember the last time I posted I had gained half of my 3 pounds back when I went out to eat? Well, I ended up gaining all of it. But yesterday when I got on the scale I was down 4. So I'm counting overall a 4 pound loss since I started back on this message board. I don't know if I will make it to my 13 pound goal by 7/20 though. I feel much better because I am getting exercise every day (almost) . I've packed my lunch and breakfast everyday for work and when I didn't I got a 6 inch turkey sub from Subway instead of driving through McDonalds.

Last Wednesday I tripped over a chair in my office and fell flat on my face. I am glad my door was closed so no one saw me. I felt kind of achy all day after that but no bruises. I didn't do any laps that night - I just felt out of kilter. Then Thursday was 4th of July. I was in the pool all day because it was so hot, but I mostly was just treading water and stuff. It was so hot that the water felt like bathwater and I just couldn't do laps in it.

I went to yoga yesterday and swam laps. My plan today is to either do yoga or get on the ET and swim some laps later.

Have a good week!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:31 AM   #5  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Talking

Yawn... Gees, Monday morning comes awful fast around here! Sounds like you didn't have too bad of a holiday week... sorry about your fall! That's nasty! I'm glad you did it in privacy though... nothing worse than people laughing at you when you're down! And hey, a 4 pound loss is great! You should be congratulating yourself! And the sub instead of McD's is a great move! I always find that it's the little stuff like that, that made the most difference in my weight loss... Kudos to you! I'm still letting my cravings guide me, though I try to eat a variety of stuff, and get my fruits/veggies in... it's a struggle sometimes, but hey, that's life!

Had a fairly good weekend... got some stuff moved, but not a lot, since we're still waiting on our builders to come in and fix all the cracks, etc from the move. Figured I don't want all my stuff lying around while they're in there... We have now got a basement floor and a septic tank, so this week, they'll be working on the heating ducts, the plumbing and the stairs... so hopefully when I go down there next weekend, it will be for good! As long as there are toilets and showers, I can live out of there and still make it to work looking like a human! And, our new furniture will be delivered Saturday morning, and my DH's company's annual golf tourney is on Sunday, so no real time to "move in", but we're getting there!

Anyway, I'm off to Curves after work today, and I'm still looking forward to it, even though I'm exhausted today! It should keep me awake, if nothing else!

BTW, Pamela, where are you? Miss ya!
Old 07-08-2002, 12:28 PM   #6  

Sounds like your house is coming along. I bet you are so anxious to get it to the point you can move in. So your DH is a golfer too? So is mine. He was golfing yesterday. My only rule is that he doesn't make t-times for my Saturday yoga morning except I let him off the hook now and then for something special. My daughter is 12 but I don't feel comfortable leaving her alone yet for that long - she has mild autism (Aspergers) so I'm just afraid she would panic if something happened like a wierd phone call or if the smoke alarm went off (you know how they do that when the battery gets low). Anyway, yesterday I spent almost the whole afternoon cleaning the storage area in our basement. It was really disorganized. I ended up not doing the yoga because I was exhausted from that. Also I picked red raspberries outside. They grow wild on the edge of our lot near the woods. I got about 2 qts. In between the cleaning I jumped in the pool twice when I got too hot and did two 20 minute aquasizes. It was a good day to spend indoors. It smelled like there was a fire burning somewhere and the sky looked like smoke. I thought someone was burning brush or maybe there was a fire in the woods but I heard on the news later it was smoke from forrest fires in Quebec. Hard to believe we could get that much smoke here in PA. Today I am home with my DD. She has a bad earache - probably swimmers ear, so I am taking her to the dr later. I will probably work out before we go.
Hope you have a good workout at Curves.

I wonder where Pamela is? Maybe vacation?
Old 07-09-2002, 04:07 AM   #7  

Here I am! We were on vacation all last week. We went to Cornerstone Music Festival in Bushnell, IL. It was HOT!!!!!! And humid! It was at least in the 100's a couple of days. We camp while we are there and it was really tough being pregnant and having a toddler. We walk everywhere and the heat made it hard to eat (nearly passed out in the showers one day). But I got to see my favorite band (poor old lu) 3 times and spent a good portion of my time working their merch table which was a ton of fun. They're really great, fun guys. I expected a loss when I got back since my legs and face had shrunk, but instead I gained 3 pounds!! I built a lot of muscle while there (we were camped in a small valley) and I know my belly grew significantly. I think the baby just got really big while there. I mean, when you start the week with flutters then on the way home are feeling actual kicks, that's the baby growing right? LOL. Guess we'll find out Friday. We get our ultrasound on Thursday, so we might find out what this little one is. It's starting to feel real!! This baby is such a night owl. It's making it hard to go to bed when I know that 11 pm is the prime time for movement. Well that's enough from me. We're recovering right now (tons and tons of dust there = lots and lots of allergies!) so I don't know when I'll get back to real excercise. Pretty soon I hope though. Don't wanna lose this great muscle I worked my butt off for!
In Christ,
Pamela
Old 07-09-2002, 09:55 AM   #8  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hey, Pamela! Welcome back! Sounds like you had a nice vacation, even with the heat and dust! And congrats on feeling the baby kick! That's awesome news, and must mean that all is growing great in there! I haven't felt anything yet, but I'm also a couple weeks behind you, and it's my first, so... who knows? Could be anytime between now and a month from now, but I'm watching out for it... Hopefully my baby will be active before 11 pm, since I can't stay up that late anymore!

Stamper ~ Yeah, I heard about that smoke from Quebec reaching to a lot of the states... they showed some pics from NYC on the news, and it was sooo thick! I couldn't believe it! Sounds like you had a busy day though, even without the yoga! Wish I had the energy to do all that stuff with ya! I think once we finally get everything moved into the house, it'll help, since I'll get started on unpacking, and probably won't be able to stop! I'll have to set my timer, ala FlyLady, to keep myself from overdoing it!

I didn't make it to Curves last night though, as I developed a killer headache in the early afternoon, and it was not going away for nothing... I even took some Tylenol (dr okayed) but it didn't even touch it, so I figured the last thing that I wanted to do was increase my heartrate! Anyway, I will go after work today, so no harm done! I'm still just aiming for 2-3 times a week.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:03 PM   #9  

Marvin, yeah I've only been feeling the baby move in the last week or so, plus this is my second. Don't think I felt Em move quite this early. The headaches are really getting to me too!! I get them usually around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and the ONLY thing that helps is a nap, which is hard to get with Em. The headaches were hard to deal with at Cornerstone.
Congrats on the house btw!!!

Stamper, I didn't know there were fires in Quebec! Crazy! I miss so much when we are away. Hope things are getting better.
In Christ,
Pamela
Old 07-09-2002, 10:12 PM   #10  

Pamela: Great to hear from you again. It sounds like a neat trip despite the heat and dust. That's great that the baby is moving. It seems to me like my baby usually moved a lot at night but sometimes I think that when you are still it's just easier to notice. Of course when the baby gets real big you notice whatever you are doing! Your gain probably is all baby! With all that heat I bet you could retain some water too. So what kind of music does your favorite band play?

Marvin: Sorry to hear about your bad headache. I had a bad one yesterday morning, when I stayed home with my sick DD. I think it was sinus, maybe from the smoke. It finally went away after my second dose of ibuprophen. Did you every try an icepack or cold compress? Sometimes that helps me if I have one of those headaches that don't go away.

I never did my yoga yesterday. I ended up swimming an hour after we got home from the dr. and pharmacy. DD has swimmer's ear. Today my DH stayed home with her and I ended up working until 8:30 pm, so I am just skipping exercise today and I'll hope for a chance to exercise Wednesday.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:58 AM   #11  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Yep, these headaches are awful! And they seem to be somewhat a daily occurance too... Sometimes they are worse than other times, and I'm just living with it!

I did make it to Curves last night, as my afternoon headache wasn't too bad... and it actually made my headache go away! So, I was feeling pretty good last night! Stayed up until 10 to watch Austin Powers 2 on tv... and now I'm feeling a little tired, but oh well... early to bed tonight, that's for sure!

Not sure, but I might go to Curves after work again tonight... we'll see how I feel!

Stamper ~ Where do you put the icepack? I've heard of using them, but have no idea how! I'd assume that you can use them on your neck or your forehead, wherever felt better, right? I'll have to give that one a shot... can't hurt!

Old 07-10-2002, 10:53 PM   #12  

Stamper, my favorite band is kind of indie rockish I guess, hehe. They have a good website at www.pooroldlu.com if you're interested. There's a few sound samples there.

I might try that ice pack trick. I used to do that when I was pregnant with Em. I got the migraines in first trimester at night and would lay in the dark with ice in a plastic baggie wrapped in a dish towel. It would help, I think, either that or I conked out. It's a little bit harder to do that now!
In Christ,
Pamela
Old 07-11-2002, 10:22 AM   #13  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Well, no Curves yesterday, but there sure will be today! I was so utterly exhausted that I went to bed before 7 pm last night!

Oh well, I needed the rest, and I actually feel human again this morning, so I'm happy with it... I have a busy day ahead though, and I'm looking forward to it being Friday tomorrow!
Old 07-12-2002, 07:36 AM   #14  

Well, we're having a .... baby!!!!! Yay!! Hehe. And a mighty fine cute one at that. No biggie to me, I was torn on finding out. Jeremy's a little upset.

I'm so tempted to toss my scale and just go by the dr's. Not literally toss the scale but you know. I know when I've had bad weeks and when I've had good ones. And if I stress eat one week, it's not like I can do anything about the weight any time soon. So why stress myself out over a pound or two??? (This was a rough week with recuperating!!) What do you guys think??
In Christ,
Pamela
Old 07-12-2002, 10:12 AM   #15  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Go for it! Throw that scale right out the window! Okay, well maybe just stash it in the closet or something! But, seriously, get rid of it! I am not weighing in at all except at my dr's appts, and at the beginning of every month at Curves, and it's totally liberating! I have enough things to worry about (health of baby, fears of parenthood,etc) to worry about without obsessing about every pound, right? I figure as long as I'm eating a good variety of healthy food, with no obscene amounts fo junk, babe and I should be just fine. Of course, I worry about being a beached whale after baby, but now that I'm starting to get back into my exercising, I feel better about it. BTW, congrats on having a "baby"! I love that you're not finding out too, so I have someone to share with! It seems like most, if not all, of my pg buddies on my other board are all finding out!

I had kind of a downer day yesterday, when DH told me that they have installed the heating system in the house, but they haven't even started on the plumbing yet! So, I won't be moving out there this weekend, though I'll be going out to stay for the weekend... I had a feeling that this would happen, so I'm not totally shocked, but it's like, come on, it's 35 freaking degrees outside... I don't NEED a HEATING system! I NEED a toilet!

The good thing is though, it was so hot out yesterday, and I had a killer headache, so I skipped Curves... and ended up going to aquajogging with my mom instead... the water was blissful, I had a good workout, and there was even a woman there that was probably 7-8 months pregnant, so I know if she can do it, so can I! I'm gonna try to make this a regular thing to, if I can, especially through the summer. It dropped my internal temp quite a bit, got rid of my headache and made me comfy for the rest of the night. I even slept better!

Anyway, have a good weekend guys, and I'll see you next week!
Closed Thread