Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236.7/230.2/150

Height: 5'2

Default Doing the same exercise everyday.

My knees are not the best so I have been doing the exercise bike everyday for 30 mins to burn 200 calories each day. Is doing the same exercise everyday going to work against me at some point? I thought I read somewhere that doing the same thing everyday was not a good idea because the body gets used to it and it is not as effective. Has anyone heard this?
86tolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #2  
Meg

So long as you're getting your heart rate up to where you want it to be, I think it's fine to do the same kind of cardio every day. I did an hour on the elliptical just about every day during the year I was losing weight and it seemed pretty effective to me since I lost 122 pounds in a little less than a year. Muscle adaption is more of an issue with weight training than cardio. You're doing that too, right?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I had a friend that was losing weight on weight watchers and she exercise on her bike everyday-she looked awesome! So I don't think it will hurt you.

I just put a post..if you have some tubing..and if your bike is comfortable enough to do arm exercises on...I have an incumbent...then you could incorporate your arms...for a total workout.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You can mix up what you do on the bike. Intervals, steady state, hills, and various combinations of these things. You could be doing something different every day on the bike.

I also think it helps to constantly challenge yourself to work a little harder and go a little faster.

There also are other types of exercise that you can do even with bad knees. I also have knee problems, but, in addition to bicycling, my doctor okayed the elliptical, the stepmill, the rowing machine, walking, and swimming. So long as I don't overdo it, I can even run on the TM on a slight incline. If you want to do something other than bicycling, check with your doctor.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote