Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #1  
Covered in Cat Hairs

S/C/G: 298/249.5/170

Height: 168cm

Default I want to run outside. But I live in a dodgy area...!

Hi guys

I'm fairly sure this is a common issue experienced by everyone who wants to start exercising outside! Unfortunately it is exacerbated by my severe social anxiety and generalised anxiety. I'm finding myself with a lot more energy now that i'm almost 50lbs down and I want to start getting into a regular exercise routine. I want to eventually run, but walking will suffice for now!

I'm lucky enough to live by the sea, and we have a great 5 and a half mile long completely flat promenade that would be perfect to walk/run along and practise. On most days its deserted except for the odd dog walker.

The problem is getting there. It's literally a 5 minute walk down to the seafront but my area is so dodgy. There is a train bridge that needs to be walked under, past an alleyway car dealership and past an indoor car park of a block of flats which is mostly derelict but it has a bad rep.

I walked down there the other afternoon and was fine on the way down, but on the way back home, as i was walking under the bridge, a white van was parked by the car dealership. As i went past he reversed his van all the way up the hill as I walked past, keeping up with me. I kept my eyes forward and pretended not to hear (had earphones) and he eventually drove off. This was the first time I did the walk. Not exactly reassuring

There's another route i can take but its 20 minutes instead of 5. That's half of my walking time at the beach!

As you can probably tell I am a very nervous nelly, extremely anxious and not used to being outside on my own I can't really afford any home gym equipment and there's no room for it anyway. As far as i know my local gym does not have a running track... They have a tennis court, maybe I could use that?

Does anyone have any tips for being safe exercising outside in a dodgy area?

Thank you!
MsTibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Can you drive to a nicer neighborhood? Not convenient, but it will give you pleasure and make you feel safer.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

what about a shopping mall nearby? you could walk in there...many people do and it's much safer than what it sounds like you could be exposing yourself to....
but if you are set on walking in the area you speak of..you have some options:
1. find a walking buddy
2. get a dog and have him be your new walking partner....even a small yappy dog works....if you don't want one yourself offer to walk someone elses
3. get some mace
4. in any area that is considered "unsafe" walk with confidence and act like you belong there....what makes you a bigger target is looking like you are afraid and nervous...like with the van..you gave off every vibe that you were scared...believe it or not that makes you seem more like an "easy mark"

Congrats on how far you've come but never risk your own safety and livelihood..

Last edited by sweetcakes736; 02-13-2016 at 06:48 PM.
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #4  

Get pepper spray just in case.
SadWyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Pepper spray/mace is a good call and carried by most of my female running colleagues.

But I will say that running has one advantage, especially as you get better at it.

And that advantage is that if anyone wants to give you any trouble then they are going to have to catch you...and if you are running that is not going to be easy!

While I am a guy - and I know that is different - I get no sh!t while running because no-one is gonna bother chasing me.

So keep going. With the pepper.

Or find a running/walking club. I frequently run with female runners who feel safer running in groups in remote places.

If you enjoy a drink, find a local Hash House Harriers.

Last edited by IanG; 03-04-2016 at 10:52 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I carry this pepper spray made specifically for running...it fits so easily in my hand! Since you yourself say you're a nervous nelly, I'd imagine the safety of that area isn't really all that bad, but it's important to feel comfortable! Maybe the mace will help, but if it doesn't, I'd say drive to a better location, find an indoor place where you feel comfortable, or get yourself a running buddy.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #7  

I would say just drive! It sounds silly since it's just a 5 minute walk but if that makes you feel better than I wouldn't see it as an inconvenience. I love to run on the beach but I have to drive in order to get there and I really don't mind it
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #8  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Honestly, I agree with everyone here on driving to a better area. My husband and I usually drive to a nice park to walk and run with our dog about 20 minutes away.
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #9  

what about working out at home? body weight exercises are a good idea.
yummynood1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7

Definitely agree with carrying pepper spray. Sounds obvious, but stick to daytime as well.
dhathaway739 is offline   Reply With Quote