Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #16  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

ok i *think* what my new routine will be is as follows:
mon - 3 miles sprint intervals, 1 mile steady jog, walk warm up and cool down, weights and/or situps as time/desire allows.
wed - 5-6 mile steady jog
fri - wild card day. 1 mile fast? 3.1 mile steady? 5-6 mile steady if i don't have plans til muuuch later in the night. weights and/or situps.

yeah i know i reaaallly need to be going to the gym more than 3 days per week (hello weekend workout, i'm talking to you!), but i'm doing the best i can given the real constraints of time, life, and motivation. i try and get in some sit ups or pushups on the other days if i get the chance.

MBN - i would loooove to swim or get me on a step machine, but unfortunately i do not have access to either at this time. my cardio options are bike, treadmill, elliptical. and even though it sounds crazy, i've actually grown to like the treadmill. i mean "like."
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #17  

Height: 5'7"

Decent 3 mile run today. It is about time! I was worried I lost the recipe, but it's all good now.

sws19: nice job on your 5K. Sounds like you are getting your plan figured out.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #18  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Looks like this thread needs a *bump*

Did a couple runs in the morning instead of the evening this week, didn't really seem to make much difference. But there are lots more birds out at the pond at that hour, so it makes for better wildlife watching.

I have a 12 mile training run this Saturday, last really long one before the HM. I'm planning to run it on the course to get a feel for it. Should be good practice for the "real thing".
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Ladies. hi girls I missed ya'll. I was soooo tied up with work. Okay so since Tuesday I notice a dull pain/ache like under and little to the side of my knee. It isn;t enough to make me stop running but it is annoying and slows me down a bit. I ran 3.5M on Tuesday and I noticed it around mile 2. Yesterday I did an uptempo 2 miler and it noticed like a 1/4 of the way in. Is this something to worry about. SHould I hvve it looked at or is there something I can do. I stretch before every run and walk a FULL lap (I am on TM) before I start running and wlak a full alp when I am done. I am so scared I am going to sit down a bit and lose all my mileage. Oh it has taken me 5 months to run 3.5 - 4 miles so I dont thinkI do ramp up to quick ....do I?

Shinanigans - Good Idea on running the course. You are going to do soooo great. I envy you. Can't wait for September.

FatPants - The thing is Running IS ALL mental ....well at least the majority. You have got talk yourself past the 15 minutes sort of. Just keep at it...it gets better.

SWS - I think I am going to incorporate a speed work day as well. Sounds liek it can help me with WL and time. Your plan sounds good and seems like you have it all together

Anne - GJ on your 3 Miler
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #20  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Cakebatter -- how old are your shoes? Could the cushioning be starting to go? I feel it first in my knees or feet.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #21  

Rough 3 miles this morning. Or 3 x 1 mile runs. "Run" is a relative term, since I was so slow. I went mountain biking yesterday, and I am SORE, plus I was operating on 6 hrs of sleep. It was a victory just being out there. I'm counting it as such.

Thanks for the bump shananigans!

Cakebatter, I always stretch after running, and I think that it helps to be warmed up.

Anne
Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

I got them for Christmas and have been running in them every since. I have run 111 miles in them.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #23  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBatter View Post
I got them for Christmas and have been running in them every since. I have run 111 miles in them.
Hmm, the shoes should be fine then. The general guideline is to replace every 300-500 miles, and I usually get more miles than that out of mine. The only other suggestion I have is to lay off running a day or two and/or limit your running to every other day, with a rest day in between. You can always substitute other cardio training like biking, swimming, elliptical, etc. And stretch several times a day. I wouldn't hit the panic button yet, but it's definitely something to monitor.

I also believe that leg muscle strengthening moves work to stabilize the knee joints and help prevent injury. If that isn't part of your weekly routine, it's something to consider as well. It's just important to do them properly.

Check out runnersworld.com injury prevention tab:
http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/...-0-0-0,00.html
There are articles on diagnosing, treating, and preventing various common injuries.

Last edited by MBN; 05-08-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added link
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #24  

3.3 miles today. I was shooting for 3.5 and in good shape to make it, but I had an encounter with a dog and decided to call it a day. Nothing bad, just letting me know that driveway belonged to him, but you can never tell about these things, and running past an unknown barking dog is not real smart.

Next run is on Tuesday. Swim tomorrow.

Anne
Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #25