Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #1  
Callie1983

S/C/G: 192/153/135

Height: 5ft6in

Default Tried Hot Yoga???

I'm thinking about going to a Hot Yoga class tonight... 90 minutes of yoga in a 105 degree room... I've never done yoga before and I'm not in the best of shape... I'm kinda afraid I might pass out... Anyone have any experiences with this?

Thank you!!!
Callie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #2  
Lori

S/C/G: 227/179.5/140

Height: 5'1

I am not a big fan of Hot Yoga.The one time I did it I thought I was going to have a heart attack.Of course I don't like being that hot.You do sweat a great deal so if you go make sure you have a lot of water and a dry pair of clothes to change into when you are done.I prefer slow flow yoga.It is relaxing and works all the kinks out.If you have a good teacher you can even work up a good sweat.In yoga class last week we did the slow flow yoga and used the resistance bands with it.They are great for toning.You never know if you will like or dislike it until you try.So I would give it a whirl at least once.You might love it.
Clanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

HUGE HUGE fan over here! I started hot yoga 10 pounds ago, right at your start weight, and I absolutely love it, even though I am crap at it!! The philosophy of Hot Yoga is that no one is too old, too inflexible, nor too out of shape to give it your all. All the classes are for beginners and it is really, really easy to follow.
Here are some things that I found out when I started:
First of all -- this is a great, great strenuous workout. Kind of like Yoga Bootcamp. Which I really like. I get my meditation in by having to focus 100% on the pose, so this really clears my mind. I've tried other more gentle forms of Yoga and I really like the butt kick aspect of Bikrams.

Second -- let them know at the front desk that you are new to this and are a bit anxious. The instructor will keep a special eye out for you and will make sure that you are OK during the class. And the instructor will make sure that you are "getting it". I did this for each class when I had a new instructor, and I still do it today if I haven't experienced the instructor before.

OK, so how hot is it really??? Well, it isn't as hot as you think. I know that it isn't as hot as it gets in the summer and I live up NORTH, and I think this is because there is no direct sun involved! Just warmth. And 40% humidity isn't bad at all, as it gets to 98% humidity here in the summer often. So it really isn't as bad as you think.

What is a class like? It is a series of 1 breathing exercise followed by 24 guided beginner poses followed by a final breathing exercise. Each pose is repeated twice with a 10 second pause between repeats - the first time is held for a minute, the second time is held for 30 seconds. There is a 20 second pause between actual poses. So it goes like this, for example, --------1st time of bowpulling pose 1 minute -- rest 10 seconds -- second time of bowpulling pose 30 seconds -- rest 10 seconds -- 1st time of standing stick pose for 1 minute -- rest 10 seconds -- 2nd time of standing stick pose for 30 seconds -- rest 10 seconds...and so on.

OMG! What if I can't get through the class??? What if I feel faint???
Relax! If you feel dizzy or overwhelmed by the heat, you just quietly lie down on your yoga mat (head towards the mirror, feet AWAY from the mirror -- important etiquette here!) until you feel better. You can rejoin the class at any time at between sets or poses. I don't think I've ever been at a class where at least ONE person hasn't taken a break. And lots of people take many, many breaks. So don't feel shy about it. It isn't a competition...When I started, I spent more time on the mat than I did doing Yoga, and I did that for the first 3 weeks. And 6 weeks later, I can USUALLY get through a class! But if I need to, I just take a break. And so does pretty much everyone else.

I need water!!! Bring a bottle of water with you. Make sure you are hydrated before class, and take sips of water as you need. They like you to do the first breathing exercise and the first three poses before you start to drink water. After that, restrict your water times to between poses (not sets of poses) so that you don't distract the others who are trying to focus. The best way to hydrate for me is to drink about 2 litres of water the afternoon/evening before the class. I don't drink more than 1 glass beforehand because I don't want to have to pee! For the first few classes. I make a mix of water, sugar-free koolaid, and 1 packet of Gastrolite (which is an electrolye mix available at the pharmacy in powder form) -- I felt really secure then because I knew that I was able to replace my electrolytes that I lost through sweating. I don't use it anymore, but it helped me feel better for the first few weeks, kind of like a security blanket!

How often should I go? It is recommended that you do 4 classes as closely together as possible in order to acclimatize yourself to the heat. I did 4 classes in 4 days one after the other, and found that this worked really well. And no matter what, try as hard as you can to stay in the room, even if you feel really hot. Just lie down. The reason for this is that it is hard to acclimatize yourself if you are in and out from hot to cold to hot. So just take a break and lie down. Afterwards, you can go as often as you like, but they recommend 4 times a week to get the maximum benefits. I go 4 times a week now, and want to bump it up to 5 times a week.

The first few classes are where you get the hang of the poses. And they ALWAYS say that if you do 1% of the pose but give it 100% and are correct in that 1%, you will get 100% of the benefits. As of today, I am starting to do some of the poses that I couldn't do before, and my flexibility is improving. My balance is SO much better than when I started, and I feel great!

Don't be scared! Go for it!!!
If you have any questions, pm me any time! And let us know how things went!
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 04-23-2009 at 03:57 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I know that Jillian Michaels (trainer on Biggest Loser) has said you're more likely to get injured with hot yoga than yoga at standard room temperature, because the heat makes your muscles and ligaments hypermobile, and therefore easier to push beyond where they are meant to stretch/bend to the point of injury. So if you're going to do it, please go easy so you don't get injured.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #5  
Callie1983

Thanks for all of the info, I think I'm going to try it next week. An old friend teaches it, but she's itty bitty and in shape, so I wanted some more perspective on the matter! Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #6  
Closed

It is so great that you know an instructor!! How cool is that?!
Let us know what you think.
Kira
Old 05-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #7  
Callie1983

I'm going tonight for the first time... Wish me luck!! I hope I dont pass out! I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #8  
sugar is the devil

It's something I have been looking into for awhile. I think I may try it in the near future soon... let us know how your first time goes
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #9  

oow! i started doing hot yoga at a local studio on march 30 and i just went to my 20th class today i love it so much! haha!

it's given me so much in only a month. things ive noticed:

1. visible definition in my arms! they are far from perfect, but there is a definite shadow when i flex my biceps and you can FEEL a rounded muscle under there that absolutely was not there a month ago
2. trimness in my waist. when i put my hand on my hip or twist to the side there's a new tightness
3. i know its crazy and i thought for sure this wouldnt happen to me - but... ive changed my diet a lot since i started. eating lighter, more vegetables, more whole foods. in fact im on a temporary vegetarian kick right now, which i never expected
4. standing in front of the mirror in a class like that forces you to look at yourself, but in a really non-judgmental environment. i think its been kinda good for me to see my body right in front of me. and to some extent to notice the other body shapes around me (not to mention posture)
5. the focus a class requires is energizing. i have one of those minds that just spins and spins over things, so if im at the gym on the treadmill or the elliptical, even with tv and/or headphones, im generating anxiety in my head just cause im bored. in bikram classes, im so freaking focused on my body i dont have time to stress. so in that way its a way more effective stress "reliever" anyway

and none of these really have anything to do with the classwork itself! haha kiramira gave such a great rundown!

ive been looking for yoga forums today - it'd be fun if there was a lot of convo here too!
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #10  
Callie1983

Well, I did it... it was great! I've never sweated so much in my life!!! I gotta work right now, but I'll give more details a little later. LOVED IT!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #11  
Callie1983

OH and I lost 2 lbs since yesterday morning!!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #12  

AHH callie! i am so glad you loved it! haha! its exhilarating, huh?? please do give us details!

i rememember looking down at my feet and seeing sweat beading on top and being like "whaaaat?? whered that come from??!" i also made the mistake of wearing light grey "yoga" pants to one of my first classes. i expected to look a mess, but it was pretty funny to watch the dark spots of sweat grow from drips and dots on my shins, spread up and down my whole leg, until the only block of my pants that was the original color was the area where my underwear was.... and then when those got soaked too haha i was just dark grey all over

i went to a 90 minute fire class this morning, and it felt so good! i can really really tell my balance has improved, dang esp in bow!

i want to hear everything!
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #13  
Closed

OMG!!! I'm SO HAPPY that you loved it!
I remember in my first class noticing that my LEGS were sweating! Who gets sweaty LEGS??!!!
I go 4 days a week, want to do 5, and I love it. I love the repetition (no surprises!) and the discipline. I LOVE it!
Way to go!
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-06-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #14  
Callie1983

Yes! Every INCH of my body was sweaty! My tank top when I took it off (after the drive home) was still drenched!
I'm not sure if every class is basically the same, but I made it okay during during the first part (cardio) by the time we got to the second 30 minutes (balance) I was feeling it... I had to sit dow/lay down a couple times... I started feeling dizzy and a little nausious and I didnt want to pass out or throw up in front of everybody
But that soon passed and the last 30 minutes - mostly on the floor were great! SOOO relaxing and invigorating... almost euphoric!
I'm going back tonight and I plan to start going twice a week.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #15  
Closed

AWEsome! The routine you did in your class is exactly the same for every class. The critics of Bikram's hot yoga dislike this (they call it "the MacDonald's of Yoga!) BUT those of us who LOVE it know that we can practice and focus on the same routine in order to get the maximum benefits. And, it doesn't matter WHERE in the world we go, if there is a Hot Yoga studio, then you'll fit right in because you know the routine.
I'm really glad you took a lie-down when you needed. You'll see that everyone does this, so you were just being prudent. More prudent than my friend's uncle who barfed all over his yoga mat during his first (and last) Hot Yoga class!!!!
Glad you liked it!
Kira