Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

Height: 5'11"

Default Steam Room Questions

My gym has a nice little steam room that I've used a few times. The thing is that I'm not sure if I'm making the best of it. I have noticed that I don't seem as sore the day after if I use it but that could just be coincidence.

So, is anyone a fan?

I'd really love to know how long is best to stay in the steam room and if there is anything I should (or shouldn't) do. Also, are there any benefits other than defrosting my fingers and toes?

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #2  

I am curious to hear answer to this too, because I'm not really sure of the benefits of the steam room... I basically consider it part of the relax area... could it possibly help with the muscle recovery you say?
I loved the one at my old gym and used to go in there at the end of long days at work when I felt particularly chilled - I was working at an ice rink an the cold was very bad some days, I felt frozen till my bones! - and it was a lovely way to warm up and relax, but apart from that I never thought much of it...
Now I'm curious, I might google something up...
alhrayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

i personally use it as a place to stretch and keep my muscles warm while doing so. When you say steam room are you referring to the sauna? I sit in ther about 6-10 minutes after my workouts. I do notice when I skip it and stretch elsewhere then I am a little more stiff.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

My husband does his stretching in the steam room. I just go in for a few minutes to loosen congestion (i always have it). I won't even sit down. It creeps me out. I stand by the door.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I love them so much, I put one in my house! We renovated the bathroom and turned the shower into a shower/steam room. It is different from a sauna because of the constant output of steam, so you have to watch the temperature because low temperature with such high humidity feels superhot.
I love it after I exercise and I love it when I get a winter chill and want to warm up. I use it to ease congestion, too. I love it!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

Oh man, really? You have a steam room? Can I come over and visit? LOL
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #7  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

S/C/G: 202/See Ticker/130

Height: 5"6

haha I tried the dry sauna today and this older guy was like in a speedo sweating and I was like ehhh nevermind today lol
vouge09 is offline   Reply With Quote