Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Question Personal Trainers?

Hi all!
I live in a small town (around 110,000 people) and you would think that there would be a reasonable selection of personal trainers around! We have 3 main private gyms and one YMCA. I belong to one of the private gyms. They only allow their personal trainers in the gym. They have 5 personal trainers. I would LOVE to have a personal trainer.
So, keeping this in mind, I read the sticky on personal trainers and checked them out. I decided to work with the one who seemed the best. Didn't work out -- we seemed to have a rapport, I was clear on my objectives (trunk and core strength training), but her agenda was different than mine and I didn't want to continue to pay someone to watch me use an elliptical for 20 minutes... I kept an eye out on the other 4. Of the 4, two of them have cell phone habits -- they answer and text on their phones DURING client sessions. Of the remaining 2, I hired one. Again, while I really really wanted to work on core strength and trunk training, I found myself doing triceps curls while he was chatting with friends at the gym. The last one just left the gym and moved to a larger city.
I have looked at trainers at the other gyms and I am prepared to switch gyms in order to train with a great trainer. I have had a number of initial sessions with various trainers, and find that most of them will either give me a standard set routine which isn't geared towards my individual situation or insist on observing me on an elliptical for 20 minutes at the beginning of my session, even though I am absolutely prepared to work out for 20 minutes to warm up BEFORE my session begins. I can't afford to pay someone to watch me exercise -- seems like $$$ poorly spent to me -- I need specific training assistance! I can get on a treadmill on my own time!!!
The irritating thing is that I DID have the most AMAZING trainer about 3 years ago, and I really progressed well with core/trunk training and strength, but alas, he left town for a larger center and basically wished me good luck finding a great trainer in this town when he left!
So the question is this: what do we do to find a great personal trainer in a small town? And if you can't find one, what options are available? And is a personal trainer necessary or a great luxury? Has anyone got fit without a trainer assisting them???
Thanks,
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 04-24-2009 at 07:19 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Kira,

I am not sure where you are, but I know that around here sometimes they will come to you. If you are looking for core strength and such you really do not need all the stuff that comes with a gym. I would suggest seeing if the other gyms offer a free trial and check out the trainers there, if you find one that you like ask them. I have worked with trainers in the past all at my gym I have always been very specific of my needs and spoke to the gym manager before working with someone this way they no right off the bat what I expect, after all you are paying them for a service.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks! I was hoping to hear from Meg and some of the other fitness buffs, too, to get their input...perhaps later today!
Anyways, it is frustrating for sure...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #4  
BELIEVE!

Hi Kira!
I'm sure you'll get lots of tips from the experts around here, but I thought I'd chime in since I'm in a chatty mood today.

Not sure how to go about it when you have limited options in a small town, but I think you definately need to set your expecations with the trainers and discuss your goals for the sessions. They should be tailoring the workouts for you and not watching you do cardio or chatting with their phones or buddies - that is unacceptable!

I lucked out and found an amazing training company. Well...amazing to me. I've never worked with anyone else, but I have no desire to do so. The training company I work with is structured with the owner doing all the consults, evals and creating the programs. He hired trainers to then do most of the client sessions. I've worked with 3 different trainers over the past 8 months, but I am constantly in contact with the owner...who I really consider my trainer because of the relationship we've established. I am now training with him one day a week. I wish I could train with him all the time, but I also understand how he has structured his company. It's working great for me so far.

Good Luck finding someone that meets your needs. It's definately a luxury, but for me it's been fabulous. I am starting to reduce my number of sessions and go it solo once a week or so...partially to save some money and partially because I want to use the knowledge I've gained to see how I do on my own.

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote