Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #31  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Running shoes do not need to get broken in. They should be comfortable and wearable right out of the box. If they're not, they're not right for you.
Disagree. I will not do a fast, long or hilly run until my shoes have a good 25 miles on them, and I prefer about 100 for marathons. Otherwise they give me achilles issues. However a less stiff shoe (I wear stability which is the middle ground) will give me knee issues that wont go away.

100-300 miles for me is the "sweet spot" where they have enough flex but the cushioning and support has not yet broken down.

Quote:
No, but if it's been in the store for a year, that adds a year to the breakdown already. My DD's cross country team heard a lecture from a sports PT and she brought this up. She advises her patients to avoid sale shoes for this reason.
I go through shoes fast enough that the extra age doesnt seem to be an issue. Technically I should be replacing my shoes every 5-6 weeks but since I rotate several shoes at a time I will often have my shoes for a full year after purchase and often buy clearance of a model I know I like rather than taking my chances with the next model year. I also live far from the store so when I go I usually buy 3 pairs. It is possible I get a few less miles off the older shoe, but probably make up for it by rotating my shoes (If you run frequently, shoes dont always rebound entirely and breakdown faster.)

I do need to clear out my shoes soon though, I think I have 4 pairs in the "too old for long runs but not dead yet" category eeeking their way to the shoe recycler.

Last edited by ennay; 06-02-2009 at 02:52 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #32  
#TeamFitness

S/C/G: 290/208/150

Height: 5' 6"

dont buy nike shox to walk or run in...my shins were hurting within 1/4 mile. and i normally walk 4 or 5 miles. its a shame you pay $100 for a pair of sneakers and your shins hurt. i'm going back to new balance. another poster said they took back there shoes after wearing them...i wish i knew you could take back sneakers...i'm forced to wear these sneakers to the market short distance now.
rookietrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #33  
Something sparkly

S/C/G: 250/248/150

Height: 5'7"

to follow up with all the others who have posted - a running store. Not a Foot Locker, or any chain. I have gone into those stores and just asked which ones compensate for pronation (I heard crickets chirping at that one) and then asked which would be better on trails vs pavement (again with the crickets.) Those are mass market retailers with maybe some basketball players that work there and a lot of teens who work there after school.

Running stores hire RUNNERS. Every real running store I have been in only hires runners. Long distance runners, sprinters, medium distance runners... all runners. they know their shoes and what works for your feet. they can give advice on whether you might need to be fitted for orthodics. They are trained on every shoe in that store and know what works for certain gaits and not for others. They watch you run (or walk) they will take measurements (I buy at least a size larger in running shoes then in regular shoes.. and usually men's, the women's sometimes run too narrow in the toes for me)

Yes, you may pay more.. but here is the other bonus.. after they fit you, you try them out for a week or two... if they are not feeling good, or your shins hurt or they rub.. you can bring them back and they will try another pair for you. Try bringing used shoes back to FootLocker to tell them they did caused shin splints.

I am also 250 lbs. I have completed the 3 Day Walk and my first 5k. I have never had any problems going into the running stores. they are always kind and offer great service. Yes, I have special needs with shoes since I am way heavier then most runners.. I need a bit more cushioning since I am putting even more pressure on my joints then others are....they also thought about this when bringing out shoes.

You might not get shoes that are "cute" but a good fit will make you a very happy camper. It is not about looks.

Also... don't hang onto shoes for years.. they break down over time. Expect to replace them fairly quickly when running. If they start to not feel as awesome, time to turn them in.

I am currently in New Balance.
Nikes were torture devices, as were some of the Saucony I tried. Brooks were ok, but finally settled on the NB.

Last edited by S3 in LA; 07-01-2009 at 11:08 PM.
S3 in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

There are people who swear by Nike Shox. What hurts one may not hurt another. I have a new pair of Saucony. Tried NB and Nike, not for me. So far, I like Saucony.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 245/219/160

Height: 5'9

i have nike zooms. i just got them but they are alright i have been running in flat footed shoes so they are 100 percent better but i dont think they are the best.
MrsVegan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #36  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I am a floor work person weights,plyo,kickbox,step elliptical,,ect ect. I wear New Balance just found a great pair was not sure if I needed wide or not . I ordered over the phone so I could talk to them{I oder work shoes from themNEW BALANCE ONLINE} anyways the guy tells me workout in them several times,they didn't have enough arch so added an arch support they were to wide so I order reg kept both pairs until I could COMPARE and sent back and GOT FULL credit they paid for SHIPPING GOT LOVE IT!!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #37  

Talking new balance is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Hi all,

I have started walking and a tiny bit of jogging recently and I must admit I really enjoy it. But, I need new shoes. The ones I have now have no sole. I want to ensure I get something that is good for me at this weight. I think I have a normal arch / pronation. I hear asics and brooks are good. Any ideas?

Thanks
I have tried several myself and found new balance works good for me
Smileydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #38  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would say it depends, New Balance don't work for me. Shoes are pretty individual.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 205/146/125

Height: 5'4''

I LOVE my Nike Shox! They come in all different colors and are absolutely the most comfortable exercise shoes I have ever owned. I bought mine at Foot Locker and I even bought new insoles that add extra support. Absolutely fantastic shoes!

Luz
maintain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #40  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I would say it depends, New Balance don't work for me. Shoes are pretty individual.

Same here. When I went to the shoe store they fit me with NB shoes and after few days of running in them I got blisters. I went back and they refitted me with Nike and I love the shoe. Previously, I've tried NB cross trainers as well and was not impressed with it.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 220/175/150

Height: 5'11''

This has really convinced me to get new shoes. I'm a walker, not a runner so it hadn't really occurred to me to go into the Runner's World store. I worry I would feel a little a like a poseur! On the other hand, I'm definitely not going to go with my first instinct, which was to go to Marshall's or TJ Maxx and buy the cheapest pair of shoes possible. A girl has to budget, but it would suck to get injured because I was wearing cheap shoes....

My NB which I love, are going on two years now....

Also, I got them a private shoe store that sells orthopedics. If you check the yellow pages, and there is one near you, I highly recommend checking it out. I tried on pair after pair of shoes and the woman helping me was knowledgeable both about shoes and about feet, especially problem feet. There is definitely a difference between a salesperson for whom this is their career and for whom this is a summer job. I would definitely go back there if I didn't now live in NJ.

Last edited by carobell; 08-24-2009 at 08:42 PM.
carobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #42  

Everyone's feet are different, some brands are totally great for some but do not feel good for others. I am sure we will never agree on one shoe being the best.
slimmercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #43  
#TeamFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula745 View Post
There are people who swear by Nike Shox. What hurts one may not hurt another. I have a new pair of Saucony. Tried NB and Nike, not for me. So far, I like Saucony.
it took a long time to break in my nike shox zoom and now after running and walking in them for 4 months one of the shox broke in the shoe which made them impossible to run in. so i purchase a pair of new balance 1224...much better shoe....i want to try a pair of brooks next.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #44  
#TeamFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintain View Post
I LOVE my Nike Shox! They come in all different colors and are absolutely the most comfortable exercise shoes I have ever owned. I bought mine at Foot Locker and I even bought new insoles that add extra support. Absolutely fantastic shoes!

Luz
yes the shox insoles are paper thin. i might should have tried that(new insole)....but paying $100 it should be comfortable out the box
Old 09-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #45  
#TeamFitness

i just read nike's website and they allow returns on defected shoes within 2 years of purchase. so i'm going to return my nike shox and i hope to have a new pair of sneakers. all these years wearing nike i didnt know they came with a warranty.