Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #1  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Default Lower Back Pain?

I'm really not sure whether this is the place to discuss my aches and pains, but I need some advice!

For about 3 months now I've been suffering, on and off, with lower back pain. It's like a sharp ache at the very bottom of my back, and I only feel it when walking, particularly if I'm walking uphill. As a keen hillwalker, this has made my treks quite a bit more challenging! It also sometimes hurts in my everyday walking, especially if I'm walking slowly. It can also really hurt if I lie down straight on my back. I was doing yoga the other day and the pose which hurt the most was the Corpse pose I did as my cooldown!

I know I should probably see a doctor, but I'm scared that he/she will just say 'oh you're just fat lose weight'. I've already lost over a stone and I never had this at my highest weight. I know I'm still big but I'm fairly fit and work out regularly; always have. Yet I've never had this issue before.

I'm not sure if it's muscular, a nerve issue, an issue with posture (although I've always thought of myself as having good posture) a stitch, or whether it's just because I'm fat.

Has anyone dealt with this before, or does anyone know any exercises which will help it?
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

First off if your Dr. says that to you it is time to find a new Dr. you are taking charge of the situation by loosing weight. You really should seek professional help but there are also a few things to try. I have tight ham strings and calves and this causes me lower back pain when I do not stretch well, it i soooooo important to stretch before you get out of bed in the morning and before and after excersise. Also check your shoes and look at the wear pattern if it is uneven then it is your gate or steps that are out of wack and you would benifit by seeing a foot doctor to help correct that. And most important don't ever ever ever feel as though you are a looser or allow anyone else to make you feel that way, in 4 more lbs you will have lost 10% of your body weight that is something to be very proud of.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

You should definately see a doctor, he/she will send you for x-rays and prescribe something to ease the pain. He might give you valium for muscle spasms or an anti-inflamatory to reduce the swelling. What kind of pain is it? Does it stay in your back or travel down your leg? If it travels it's probably nerve pain and there are exercises that you can do to relieve that. If its centered in your back try an ice pack or moist heat.

Call a doctor first thing in the morning, the only thing you have to lose is that pain. I hope you feel better
Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had back pain issues, and other issues that are or could have been associated with my weight, and haven't had many occasions in which a doctor did not take them seriously, even when I was at my highest weight. Back pain is not reserved for overweight folks, and not all overweight folks have pain. I've had doctors (more often ER doctors than my primary care physician) say, "it could be your weight," but when I stressed that this was not "usual," and was something that didn't occur over time, but rather was a recent and distinct change, I haven't had a problem with doctors taking me seriously.

I have had a few doctors suggest weight loss and a "wait and see" attitude before recommending diagnostic tests or treatment. When I felt it appropriate, I was straight forward and said "it may be entirely my weight, but weight loss is going to take me some time, so I would prefer we rule out anything serious in the meantime, and/or treat the body I have now, not the body I may have six months from now."

I think it is important that you stress that you have lost weight, didn't experience the problem at a higher weight, and that this is a recent noticeable change, rather than one that developed gradually over time.

Remember that you deserve decent medical care at any size (and most doctors do realize that).

Last edited by kaplods; 04-12-2009 at 09:14 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 364/363/200

Height: 5'4"

What they said. The doctor is important as are the xrays and possible MRI to make sure that it is just a muscle strain and not actual damage to your spine, or arthritis or something else.

I have this problem and it is made worse by working on my feet - luckily I have good shoes coming soon.

Also your DR should possibly reccomend physical therapy to help and strengthen your back muscles so that this isn't a continuing problem.

I know of which I speak - my PT for my lower back starts 4/13 bright and early in the morning.
madamruppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #6  

I will tell you what my experience with back pain has been.For many years I have had lower back pain.About 2 years ago the pain got worse and began to go down my right leg.And I also experienced numbness and weakness.I went to the ER and they gave me pain pills and prednisone and sent me home saying most people deal with low back pain at some time in their lives(which is true).The one thing that stuck with me was that the physician said to me ("bad things get worse not better")So I finished the week of steroids and the pain was still there but not as severe.6 weeks went by and I could not make it through a day without a narcotic pain pill.I went back to ER when I woke up with shooting pain down leg again.This time they ordered xray and told me to get MRI ASAP.I ended up with herniated disk in lumbar spine.I had surgery 2 days later.So..if you have any numbness or weakness see a MD right away.It is most likely nerve pain and this can be an emergency.If its lower back pain without numbness I would try NSAIDS with alternating ice and heat to lower back.If this does not resolve in 2 weeks then see an MD.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote