Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #1  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

Default I am afraid of squats, they bring the bad pain

I have knees that sometimes get really bad due to being very worn down for my age, I used to be a dancer. The 2 kinds of leg lifts are only so-so for my inner and outer thighs but I really can't do squats, at least not the kinds I have seen in exercise books, without hurting my knees. Any suggestions on squats that are easier on the knees or other exercises for my inner/outer thighs? I workout at home, no way am I going to a gym till I am much thinner. I don't have any rubber bands or a ball. I have ankle weights, free weights and a small weight bench as well as a stationary bike.

help?
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

How deeply are you squatting, and how confident are you of your form?

If your knee is drifting forward, you're going to be in pain. You want it to stay directly over your ankle. Depending on your range of motion, you may not be able to go to a full 90 degee squat, but you should be able to get down some.

I had knee surgery, and squats were one of the first exercises they started me back on. Imagine that your rear and your chest are both heavy - think about putting both of them toward the ground. This will help ensure that you're doing the movement properly, not drifting your knees forward. My physical therapist said that most knee pain during squats was due to letting the kneecap drift forward. It is imperative that your knee stay directly above your ankle. Remember - your chest and your butt are heavy, and they go toward the ground. The part of your leg from your ankle to your knee stays straight up and down.

Doing squats against a wall can help, but it's easier with a stability ball behind your back. They're really pretty inexpensive, so it might be a good investment. They can help you maintain appropriate, knee-preserving form...they're good for other exercises, too.

Can you do a step up onto your bench without pain? That's another way to work your quad, but with my knees, squats were way less painful than step ups. Again, watch that knee! Never, ever past the toe!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #3  

I agree with mandanlinn82, I think you should try the method that what mandanlinn82 said. Good luck!
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote