Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default frustrated over exercise progress

Okaaay, I know I already complained about this in a prior post the other day but I felt pretty dang frustrated today.

I joined up 24 hr fitness gym last wed as a b-day gift. Saturday was my first session with my trainer and it was basically an inventory of my nutrional needs, cardio program I was on before I joined the gym (I'm a treadmill junkie), and resistance training.

I scored good on the first two, but need to do resistance.

I also haven't been inside a gym in over a decade so some of the new machines are totally alien to me

I mentioned to her that I felt a little pain in my knees the other day when I was speed walking on the treadmill, so she suggested that I do the elliptical machine until we met again on tuesday for resistance training and she'd show me the other cardio machines 'round the gym.

She got sick and had to cancel, so I'm meeting with her on friday.

I decided that for this week, I should stick to the elliptical machine since I figure a break from the treadmill (and also reduce my chances of really getting an injury here) would be a good idea & also to shake things up in my cardio routine

Thing is... I'm feeling frustrated. I get fatigued quite easily and it's hard for me to go fast on the elliptical machine. The first 2 days, I was in agony since I awakened leg muscles that were dormant from my treadmill routine (i.e. calves, butt, etc). It's actually quite better now.

I figured out how to go faster the other day, and I'm now able to keep my heart rate up on the machine and I feel sweat in my exercise clothing. I'm just not out of breath like I was at home on the treadmill and the AC literally blows into my face so my body temperature gets cooler than usual while exercising.

So I add resistance and incline to my routine in order to try to do as good of a 50 minute workout as I can on the elliptical machine. I know I feel the results every dang time I go on that machine thanks to my sore butt & legs!!

Next week monday it'll be three weeks since I last weighed myself and I'm hoping to be in the mid 170s by then. I know I busted my behind the first 2 weeks on the treadmill before starting at the gym this week with the elliptical.

I guess... I watch what I eat and I exercise and I try to keep motivated.

The elliptical said I burned 470 calories today (even though I know it could really mean nothing or not that much at all).

I'll feel better once I get started on resistance training and learn how to safely do the other cardio machines lined up in the gym.

I just feel frustrated. I know the elliptical machine is different than what I'm used to; it's a low impact machine and it definitely works your muscles in different ways here. I figure I am trying hard here, but it doesn't feel like it's good enough

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 03-26-2009 at 05:00 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote