Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #31  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

RUnnerkim: No.. not at campbell.. Knox. My DH is actually deployed right now.. out of kansas.. but I moved to this area cause one of my good frineds and hubby are stationed here.

Im excited to get the ball rolling tomorrow.. and nervous.. it's been so long since i've ran. Im pumped to get back on track.. but nervous of my endurance deterioration.. lol
Old 12-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #32  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I'm in again, looking forward to an awesome 2009!

I've decided to start the New Year right with a run at midnight right as 2009 arrives.
I want to do that too, but dh thinks I'll get hit by a drunk driver.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I can't wait until tomorrow, I'm not ambitious enough to attempt a midnight run, as awesome as that sounds but I will definitely be kicking things off on a high note tomorrow. Happy New Year everyone and I'm so happy to be doing this challenge with such a great group.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxtini View Post
RUnnerkim: No.. not at campbell.. Knox.
ahhhh, one of the few bases I didn't get the pleasure of living on. (my parents were both in the Army).
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Smart thinking. That's the very reason we don't go out on New Year's Eve. Fortunately my "neighborhood" is a loop of residential homes in horse farm country. Nobody is on our roads at night but if they are I do wear my headlamp and my reflective gear. We are so desolate they don't even put up street lamps.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #36  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
I'll be sticking to the neighborhood streets and sidewalks and staying off any main thruways for this very reason. I'm hoping to catch lots of neighborhood fireworks!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #37  
Workin' It

I'd like to get in on this, but there is no way I can do 1000 miles in 2009... Any suggestions on a realistic goal for someone who just ran her first mile this week? (I've done lots of walking on my elliptical, but I don't guess I can count that for this purpose...)

ETA: I just read back and see that I may be able to count my elliptical for this after all... Mine tracks by revolution, not distance. Other than the optional GPS attachment that works with my Polar is there another way to track distance on the elliptical trainer?

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-31-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #38  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Well the GPS wouldnt do you any good.

What I used to do for xtraining "equivalent" miles is figure out how long it takes me at a "normal effort" to run 1 mile. Lets say for this example 10 minutes. Then if I elliptical for 10 minutes I count it as 1 mile.

Since you just started running you will probably be changing "average mile" time fairly rapidly, but I would keep it simple.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #39  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I'll be sticking to the neighborhood streets and sidewalks and staying off any main thruways for this very reason. I'm hoping to catch lots of neighborhood fireworks!
I know, I was just going to run in the neighborhood and move to the yards if I even so much as saw a car on the road. I cant run on the sidewalks because people here dont shovel them

Last edited by ennay; 12-31-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: atrocious spelling
Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #40  
Workin' It

Quote:
Well the GPS wouldnt do you any good.

What I used to do for xtraining "equivalent" miles is figure out how long it takes me at a "normal effort" to run 1 mile. Lets say for this example 10 minutes. Then if I elliptical for 10 minutes I count it as 1 mile.

Since you just started running you will probably be changing "average mile" time fairly rapidly, but I would keep it simple.
Duh...

I said to a coworker today "If I just stopped and thought about my question for two minutes before just blurting it out there think how much I could accomplish, and how much smarter I would appear."
Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
ETA: I just read back and see that I may be able to count my elliptical for this after all... Mine tracks by revolution, not distance. Other than the optional GPS attachment that works with my Polar is there another way to track distance on the elliptical trainer?
Is there no spec for how far a revolution is? Might have to dig a little to find out.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #42  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Ohhhh sign me up too for 1,000 miles. I will count walking, running and the very rare elliptical and/or bike at the gym.

Last edited by Fat Chick B Gone; 12-31-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #43  

Does anyone own a Garmin forerunner 305, do you like it? I just ordered one b/c I'm tired of running the same routes that I have to map out with my Car GPS. Also, I'm wondering if the heart rate monitor also has an estimation of number of calories burned?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #44  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I've had both a 301 (w/ HRM) and currently own a 205 - which is the 305 without the HRM as I never used that part.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Never leave the house without it!

The Garmin will estimate calories based on your weight & pace if you do not use the HRM and I think based on your weight and HRM if you do use it.

MTA: heh we have the same ticker style...happy running!

MTA2- Can I be in this group if I want to do more than 1000?

Last edited by ennay; 12-31-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #45  

Quote:
I've had both a 301 (w/ HRM) and currently own a 205 - which is the 305 without the HRM as I never used that part.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Never leave the house without it!

The Garmin will estimate calories based on your weight & pace if you do not use the HRM and I think based on your weight and HRM if you do use it.
Thanks, for letting me know. I feel less guilty about buying myself another present. BTW very impressive that you qualified for Boston, that is one of my long term goals. How much training did it take for you to do it? what weekly mileage did you peak at? Did you follow a specific training plan?
Closed Thread