Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/186/170

Height: 5'5

Default personal trainer

I have lost 34lbs so far, but I have been stuck at that for about 3 weeks now. My wedding is coming up in less then 3 months, and I would really like to lose a few more inches in my waist and tone my arms. Would any recommend getting a personal trainer?? I don't want to waste any money, but I feel like this may be the only way to get the results I want in the amount of time that I have left.
wannabealewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #2  
Going on a cruise w NKOTB

Height: 5'3"

If you have the extra cash, I'd look into getting one. You can usually meet up with them at a gym they're affiliated with, so that way, you have the equipment you need. When interviewing them, I'd make sure they know how to "spot tone" the areas you need help with.

NickiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #3  
this time it's for real

S/C/G: 201/159/135

Height: 5'2"

I would TOTALLY recommend a trainer! I absolutely love mine. If it wasn't for this damned fat hanging around, I'd be in the best shape ever - I am really, really strong and fit and do all these exercises that I would be too intimidated to do by myself with all those bodybuilding guys in the gym all the time. Just yesterday we did this thing with a medicine ball on the stairmaster and I would have been done at about 4 minutes but because he was there I lasted the whole 15!

It is expensive, though. At my gym, there are certain times of the month where they have special packages with discounted rates and you should always ask to have one "trial" session for free.

Also - FYI - the first two trainers I worked with did not work out at all. The first one only lasted a day (he wasted half my session by telling me to get on a bike for 15 minutes and walked away to chat with his buddies). The second one lasted a bit longer but his style just didn't click with me. Then I had a girl that I really liked, but she was really flaky and cancelled all the time on me, so that didn't work out. Anyways. Just make sure you end up with someone who pushes you and someone who you get along with.

And you will look HOT for your wedding!!!
macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

A good trainer will really help you out- if you have the money I'd sign up for 2x a week for three months and they will help you tone up and if you show them your diet I bet they will show you what to do to get off that plateau. The funny thing is if you upped your calories maybe 100-200 cal you'd start losing again- sometimes eating more helps you burn more
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There is no such thing as spot toning but a good trainer will kick your butt and push you. They should also help you look more shapely. Especially if you are wearing a sleeveless gown, working on the shoulders and arms can help you look more fit. Working on your core muscles can help you stand straighter as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #6  

Quote:
There is no such thing as spot toning
I agree that there's no such thing as spot weight loss, but you most certainly can work/tone/build (choose your word) biceps or triceps without simultaneously building, say, quads (thighs).
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

well 'spot toning' kind of screams 'spot reduction', which is why I said that you can work your arms and shoulders to help your upper body look better as well as work your core for posture. Which is what I was trying to differentiate.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #8  

I would recommend a trainer as well! I'm also trying to get in shape and tone my arms for my wedding in August. I had 3 sessions with a trainer in January, and she gave me some tips on improving my endurance while jogging, as well as an arm, leg and core weight training routines.

We spent the first and second session talking about my goals and learning the exercises and the third session was review to ensure that I could do all the weight training on my own. I'm planning to go back every two months to get updated routines.

I felt that the trainer really helped me focus on the areas I want to work on and gave me the background to do the weight training properly so I can get more out of each workout.
mctinez is offline   Reply With Quote