Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/147/120

Height: 5'5

Default Half Marathon/Marathon?

I am new at this and have been searching through the threads but havent seen much on half marathon/marathon runners.
There are a few running threads but didnt finf anything on this specifically.
I know that everyone is one is at different levels of physical activity but I was just wondering if there are any of you out there training for half marathons.
I am running a half in 7 weeks and my next year to a full one.
Just looking for advice and tips, and of course motivation!

Last edited by SarahD; 11-20-2008 at 11:09 AM.
SarahD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #2  
HMS

S/C/G: 94/85/65 kg

Height: 5'8"

Hi Sarah ... hope your training is going well ... I did (well plodded)a couple of halfs this year ... I'm currently having a wee break from jogging (well long runs anyway) and doing the weights and cardio thing at the gym to see if that makes a difference with the weightloss ..... I am looking to do my local half-marathon in May ..... I'm not a great runner .. but i really got a sense of accomplishment out of finishing

Last edited by HMS; 11-20-2008 at 01:29 PM.
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've just started running and I'm looking at training for a half next year.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #4  

I know it is (or I am hoping) a big sense of accompllishment. Not that I LOVE to run, but I know I will be proud of myself if I were to complete one. After this I am hoping to train for a Marathon but the only issue here is weather... I live in AZ.
So January is perfect running weather but soon after that its too hot (

How many miles did you get up to before the race? I am thinking I will do 11 miles two weeks before.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #5  
HMS

Sarah ... I did exactly 11 miles 2 weeks before !! What training plan aare you using? I used the Bingham book plan (marathons for mortals or suchlike).... I got it out of the library...

Last edited by HMS; 11-20-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The half marathon I'm looking at is in September. September in Maryland can be extremely hot and humid. Not only that but I'll have to train all summer long where it can reach 100 degrees with high humidity.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #7  

Perfect!!!
I am actually just following a plan my husband set up for me. He is a trainer so I felt comfortable with him scheduling it out. I will have to go look at that book. I need all the help I can get LOL.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #8  
HMS

It is coming into summer here... not that it gets that hot usually about 25 - 30 centigrade ... but I prefer to run in when it is a little cooler... another reason I am taking a break ... but all this talk of halfs is making me want to go out for a nice long run...

Sarah .. the book is quite amusing and motivating .... My hubby tried to give me a plan (but it was waaaay to hard)... he does ironman etc ....
Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #9  

OH LOL Yeah, my husband defintely doesn't do that. Fortunately he knows how badly out of shape and pathetic I am so it is still a challenge but should be possible.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #10  
HMS

I think one of the best pieces of advice I got from the book is don't go into the race for you first half with a fixed goal time in mind ... as you don't want to ruin your accomplishment with a disappointment feeling .... I sort of didn't follow that lol .... but it is good advice

Last edited by HMS; 11-20-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Hi SaraD - Yes, I am training for a half marathon. You might say that I'm constantly training for one, because my goal is to run 5 in 5 months this running season! (I'm in Florida, so we run races in the winter!) I just finished the first one last Sunday, the next one is Dec 14. I've run 5 half's and one full marathon, and a whole bunch of shorter races (5K, 10K, 5 mile, etc).

The half marathon is my favorite distance. It's long enough to be challenging, but it is accessible to a broad range of runners. It still is a big "event" usually too, but without the MUCH greater effort that a full marathon requires. I call it "all of the fun, with less than half the work" of a full marathon.

Most beginner half marathon plans have you doing long runs of up to 10 miles before the race, so you are right on target, IMO, allowing for a two week taper. That's pretty much what I did before my first half too, and it went just fine. Since I've been running for a while, my normal weekly long run is 9-12 miles. I went up to 15 before this last race.

Advice? DON'Ts -- Don't wear or eat any thing new or different on race day, the results may be ... unpleasant. Don't start out too fast! Don't worry about your time, this is your first, so will be an automatic personal record. It only gets faster from there!

DO - Walk through the water stops, you'll get a better drink and give your legs a break. Just relax and enjoy the experience because participation in a race event is a blast! Smile for the camera!

And do tell us how it goes ...

As a benchmark, if you're interested ... my first half marathon was in 2002, at age 42. I was a brand new runner, egged on my my marathon-running sister to attempt this. I had never been particularly "sporty" as a kid, so participating in ANY kind event like this was something brand new to me. We ran it together ... I was one of those run/walkers, using 10 min jog/1 min walk intervals. It was a BIG challenge for me, but I finished in 2:38. I teared up as I crossed the finish line, overwhelmed by the feeling of accomplishment. My goal had been simply to get through it before they closed the course at 3 hours (and not be last). Goal achieved !!!

Last Sunday, I finished in 2:01.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/162/154

Smile Half marathons

Hi Sarah!
I run lots of half marathons. It is my favorite distance. I will probably not get to do one until the spring due to weather, but I always am looking forward to my next one. I have completed 14 1/2 and 3 fulls and i am slow but steady and love it. I have been doing them since 2004. Just ask me specific questions. I also coach long distance running at the diatance level and have worked with women runners locally so Hopefully I can help! Feel fre to ask me any questions. Oh and my favorite information and website for running and beginning running and even veteran running plans is Hla Higdon's website. Just google Hal Higdon and it will come up. There is TONS of information and all different levels of training plans.
The biggest thing to remeber is to take 1-2 rest days, Cross train at least once a week, do a decent long run every week and do some core strength. YOu can lift if you want but the other stuff is crucial! HAVE FUN!!
kkgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #13  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

I'm doing my first half on Dec. 7th (West Palm Beach, FL)...my longest run thus far is 10 miles...took me 2 hrs. 5 min. Not great, but I'm not fighting for time here...just fighting for a finish Once I get thru this one, I'll be sure to sign up for lots more. It's such a great sense of accomplishment for me...considering I always hated running growing up. I also feel very "cool" since I can do something most cannot.

kk - any suggestions for racing fuel???
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #14  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Gatoramanda - I like the Clif Shot bloks best for "on the run" fuel. I like the taste and the fact that they are 30 calorie portions that you can space out. It's hard to eat half a gel pak, it gets sticky and hard to hold/store. And a full gel is too much for me all at once, it doesn't "sit" well.

I'm one of those that can't eat too much before running, and can't eat anything RIGHT before running. If I'm running less than 10 miles, I don't bother to eat anything until afterward. If I'm running more than 10 miles, I'll have a shot blok or two after 90 minutes. Before a half-marathon race (where I have at least a couple of hours to digest something), I may have half a small bagel, or half a PB&J sandwich, a piece of toast or something like that, plus a cup of coffee. I also alternate gatorade and water during the race, so that's a little extra fuel too. The farthest I ever go in training these days is 15 miles, if I was training for a full marathon, I might have to fuel differently.

You really have to try different things during training to see how your body reacts. And your time is fine!! For your first, you really don't want to be too worried about time, just enjoy the experience ....
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I haven't even run a full 5K yet (but I'm gonna on Thanksgiving!), but I keep reading this thread because it makes me feel like I'll manage a half someday
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote