Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #16  
=D

I agree with Julie, PC - I don't feel anyone attacked you, I was merely trying to explain my personal reasoning behind eating less than 120 grams of protein per day.

I understand why you make the diet choices you do, but I was explaining the science behind unused protein, and how it does become stored.

I apologise if you feel offended in any way.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Mazza - the protein itself does NOT become stored in a way it can be drawn on for later, as you yourself clearly explained in your post. I feel like you're playing semantic games with the concept of conversion to fat stores vs. storing nutrients for later use.

And your first post to me wasn't about *you* eating less than 120 g of protein per day. Your first post was a "good grief that's a lot of protein" and you specifically ASKED ME: Do you mind if I ask if there's a specific reason for having that amount? When I explained MY reasoning behind making *my* choice ... your response to me seemed to be saying "you're wrong for your choice".

Then Julie followed up with "lots of us get less than that and do just fine." which came across as a little snide, given the context.

I did not come to this thread saying everyone needed to eat that much protein. In fact my original post was specifically that if *I* don't eat enough protein, I feel wiped out. I was asked specifically to explain WHY I choose to eat as much protein as I do. I provided that answer and got kinda smacked at for it.

I'm gonna say again ... I WAS ASKED SPECIFICALLY and when I responded why, I got smacked at.

It upset me. And yes, I'm still upset about it.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-23-2008 at 04:03 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #18  
=D

Ok, obviously we're not going to agree here.

Nobody "smacked at" you, and I don't think Julie was being "snide" - she was agreeing with what I said. I don't think that's a crime.

I didn't say "you're wrong for your choice", and it sounds like you're being defensive. I explained why what you said about protein storage was not the case. Nothing about your personal reason for chosing it.

It's protein. This is not worth it.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Mazza - the protein itself does NOT become stored in a way it can be drawn on for later, as you yourself clearly explained in your post. I feel like you're playing semantic games with the concept of conversion to fat stores vs. storing nutrients for later use.

And your first post to me wasn't about *you* eating less than 120 g of protein per day. Your first post was a "good grief that's a lot of protein" and you specifically ASKED ME: Do you mind if I ask if there's a specific reason for having that amount? When I explained MY reasoning behind making *my* choice ... your response to me seemed to be saying "you're wrong for your choice".

Then Julie followed up with "lots of us get less than that and do just fine." which came across as a little snide, given the context.

I did not come to this thread saying everyone needed to eat that much protein. In fact my original post was specifically that if *I* don't eat enough protein, I feel wiped out. I was asked specifically to explain WHY I choose to eat as much protein as I do. I provided that answer and got kinda smacked at for it.

I'm gonna say again ... I WAS ASKED SPECIFICALLY and when I responded why, I got smacked at.

It upset me. And yes, I'm still upset about it.

Oh good grief! It was just my own experience. There was nothing snide. Just like you have your own experience. I expressed mine. This is absurd to be called snide and accused of attacking or smacking you for having a different opinion. Unbelievable. I did NOTHING of the sort. Nothing.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I think it varies with each person. I was eating 20 grams of protein, 5-6 times a day for a while and wasn't seeing huge results. My trainer told me that most people (extreme body builders, people on steroids to name just two exceptions he told me about) can only absorb 12-15 grams of protein every 4-6 hours. Too much protein can cause kidney problems, as well as other health issues. I cut back to 50 grams a day from 120 and since then have been feeling much better and actually am seeing much better muscle results since my body couldn't handle so much. Absolutely no offense meant to anyone by this, but, personally, I don't like to ascribe to popular thought on supplement amounts because it seems like it's always a bad amount for ME, so I prefer to talk to my trainer and doctor before making changes. But again, I think everyone processes things differently so what's right for me could be far too little for others.
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #21  
Ally Cat

S/C/G: 198/198/160

Height: 5'9

Im actually getting back on the bandwagon starting tomorrow. I will be exercising 6-7 days a week. I will be working out around 45 mins a day. Wish me luck!
alongwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongwor View Post
Im actually getting back on the bandwagon starting tomorrow. I will be exercising 6-7 days a week. I will be working out around 45 mins a day. Wish me luck!
LUCK!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #23  
Powerlifter

Height: 5'2"

I exercise for 1.5 - 2 hours 5-6 days per week, mostly heavy weighs as well as cardio 2 days per week

My protein intake is around 150g per day and the guidelines for protein are

General Sport Activity 1gram per kg bodyweight
Strength Athletes 1.2 - 1.6 grams per kg bodyweight
Endurance Athletes 1.2 - 1.6 grams per kg bodyweight
Adolescent and growing athletes 2 grams per kg bodyweight
Pregnant athletes Extra 10 g in trimester 2 and 3
Breastfeading athletes Extra 20g per day

Source - my training as a PT
Source - Food for sports performance, Peak Nutrition for your sport by Dr Louise Burke
Trusylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #24  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Back to your original question: I aim to exercise every day, with rare exception.
Mon and Wed are treadmill runs; 50 min; 5-5.5 miles.
Tues/Thurs: 1 hour strength/core training class
Fri: 1.25 hour step areobics / strength training interval class. It thoroughly beats everything up!
Sat is a 5 mile easy run
Sun is my long run day - 9 to 15 miles (90 - 150 min)

About every other week, I also spend a couple of hours kayaking on Saturday, and I'll also occasionally throw in a 2 or 3 mile brisk walk in the evenings, just to get the blood circulating, now that the weather is pleasantly cool.

And I estimate that I eat at least 75 grams of protein per day. According the guidelines, that's probably just about right for my size and activity. Works for me.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

I exercise 5 days a week for about 1-1.5 hours. I mostly do weights and SS cardio.

As far as protein goes, I'm like PC in that I aim to eat over 100 g of protein a day. It makes me feel better and keeps me full more than anything else. Since I upped my protein I have also gained more LBM and dropped more BF than before.

How much protein affects a person is different for everyone. I don't know the exact details but a lot of it is based on how your body oxidizes food. For some people a meal high in protein will give them a lot of energy. For others, it's too much and just slows them down.

So for me (and PC I'm assuming) more protein helps us a lot. On the otherhand, Julie and some others may do better with less.

There is no right or wrong answer here.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote