Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #1  

Default fitness center

I just signed in a fitness center and I would really like to hear from you, what kind of equipment do you use in fitness centers or what exercises you do to work out at best.
I don't really like working out in public, so I have never been to fitness center before, but now I am required because of my school (we are required to have at least 2 hours of sports every week). So I don't really know what to expect and I would really love it if anyone could help me. I'm not the skinniest type and I'm surely not the sports type, so I don't want to make a fool out of myself.

Thank you for your help, you are the best.
dreamer088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

First thing to know is: you won't make a fool out of yourself. There is nothing "foolish" about being new to a gym or new to the equipment/weights in a gym. Seriously, it is totally normal NOT to know how to properly use all the stuff in a gym. And trust me when I say that half the people in there -- even the ones who LOOK like they are doing it "right" -- are probably doing it wrong. Do you know why? Because they are too embarrassed to ask questions. Don't let that be you!

If I were you, I'd call the fitness center and tell them you are a new client and would like someone (a trainer) to take you through the facility and explain the proper way to use the equipment. When you get the tour, ask lots of questions and make sure you're comfortable with the stuff that looks interesting and fun to you.

I don't know what your exercise goals are, so it is hard to recommend what you should do. If you are knew to the whole thing, maybe you'd like starting out on the treadmill/bike/stair climbers.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-02-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #3  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I was new to fitness centers too....but I had to sign up with a trainer to learn how to use the machines (depending on your fitness center, you might have to pay for an hour session at least to have someone show you how to use the machines...hopefully not). Everyone just seems to do their own thing, so I don't feel self conscious. You'll like it once you get to know how to use the equipment. From what I've read, you're better off using free weights than the strength training machines (for your arms, legs, etc.) Though I still use the strength training machines anyway. I like the elliptical better than a treadmill...and they used to have machines called treadclimbers that I liked. Enjoy!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Definitely talk to someone at the center and get them to show you around. You'll learn a lot just by getting a tour and seeing what's available.

Also if there's something you aren't sure how to do or a machien you're not sure how to use, look it up on youtube.com. I know that sounds funny, but I learned a lot when I was first lifting weights by watching tutorials on youtube.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote