Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #1  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Best way to start a running regime?

I take my dog for walks and stuff but I want to build up to be able to run for a mile or two at a time instead of just walk.

What is the best way to build up my walking fast-running speed?

Thanks!
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

The couch-to-5k is pretty good. give it a google and check it out. There's also a bunch of threads about it
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to be starting running via a running store's running program. Also, local running clubs have beginner running programs as well. Maybe look in your area for such ?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

EricaBG, the simplest way to work up to running is to begin with walk / run intervals. Pick your favorite distance and start with walking. Then, throw in a minute or two of jogging, every 5 minutes or so. Don't try to run too fast. You should feel a bit out of breath, but not huffing and puffing like you are going to die. If a minute of jogging is too much, then try 30 seconds. You can either use timed intervals, or just do things like "jog to the next light pole". Gradually, you will find that you can jog longer and walk less. It's perfectly acceptable to stay with run/walk intervals forever, or you may find that one day you can just keep jogging through the entire distance. That's really all there is to it!!

The training programs mentioned above provide structure and specific targets, which many people find helpful. Good luck!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #5  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

check out coolrunning.com for the Couch to 5K program
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207.6/156.2/130

Height: 5'3"

i agree, the best way to start is with running/brisk walking intervals. again, a good way to do this is with the couch 2 5k program. they have podcasts telling you when to walk and when to run and have upbeat music. i don't have an ipod, but i downloaded the podcasts and made CD's out of them to listen to them on my oldschool walkman-type CD player.
good luck!
mist72 is offline   Reply With Quote