Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #1  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Default How I dropped my blood pressure

I'm not saying this is right for everyone or even that everyone is capable of doing it, but I am 28 and my MD told me that since weight likely wasn't contributory to my hypertension (normally running 156/94), that I should restrict my salt. I did, but my blood pressure only dropped to 149/90 (not too significant in my book). I heard from a few other MDs that the sodium restriction only works in about 20% of patients.

I was about to give up on the whole thing and just say that I it must be hereditary since my entire maternal side had it and I was running 2.7 miles 3-4 times/week and weight training on the off days along with dietary restriction. I would have to take medicine.

Well 3 weeks ago in a last ditch effort, I started to run 5 miles 3-4 times/week instead of my previous 2.7 and see what happened. I didn't expect much.

For the past week, my blood pressure has been averaging 123/78 and I am SO happy. It just took some extra exercise and forcing myself a little bit to go a little farther than usual I think I'm going to keep this up!

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 09-05-2008 at 10:00 AM.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Congrats!!!!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Congratulations! It's worth the extra effort not to get on the medications! And I'm not sure I agree with the doctors thinking that weight doesn't have some part in the BP. I know my sister was on 3 BP medications. she lost weight, exercises a little, and is not down to 1/2 of 1 of those pills. Weight does make a difference.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #4  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Congratulations! It's worth the extra effort not to get on the medications! And I'm not sure I agree with the doctors thinking that weight doesn't have some part in the BP.
Oh no... I am not saying that weight isn't responsible for high blood pressure in some cases. I am just saying that in my specific case, I am not really overweight. A lot of my family I am certain has high blood pressure due largely to their weight and other health issues.

And Thank you btw

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 09-05-2008 at 11:14 AM.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

for you, exercising rocks and will help a multitude of health problems...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote