Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

Height: 5'6"

Default question for those who bike

Hi everyone!

I have recently gotten into cycling after 10+ years off the bike. My rides are 8-12 miles right now (on a cheap road bike) but due to an insane work schedule I only get out 1-2 times per week. I signed up for a duathlon in June and on a whim I went out and bought clipless pedals/shoes. I've heard it's an adjustment but I really suck at clipping in and out- my balance on the bike isnt great even without the added challenge. Do you think I'll be ready by the race in June or should I finish out my training on the standard pedals? Does a typical race situation require a lot of clipping in and out?

Thanks!
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #2  
No description available.

Those clip pedals scare the pants off me, so I'm probably not the best one to answer, but if you practice, I think you will be ready. My dh loves his.

You might post this question in the triathalon thread, cause Jessica and Anne have done triathalons and might know how frequently you might need to clip/unclip.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I TOTALLY love the clips. They are really essential to safe cycling, because your feet won't slip off the pedals. And they allow you to transfer your power from a simple down stroke (which you have on non-clip pedals) to a pull stroke, so your legs go in CIRCLES (working on the down push and the up pull) instead of like PISTONS (down, down, down). Making you way more efficient.
Please take your pedals in with your shoes to a bike shop and get them to adjust them. They shouldn't be too tough to get into and out of, so they might need a simple adjustment. Then practice, practice, practice. Getting into them is a forward and down type of motion. Getting out of them is done by sliding your heel to the outside of the pedal (not the inside near the chain). Lean up against a wall and practice, practice, practice. Soon it will be second nature. I only need to unclip my right leg when I'm at a stop light. The left leg will stay clipped in. And if you can't clip IN when you start, you can get some speed up by putting your foot on the pedal and using it like normal until you get clipped in.
In a race, you only have to clip in once when you start, assuming you don't have to stop!
You CAN do it. And I would definitely use them right now so you can maximize your training efforts and not freak out on the day of the race.
Kira
ps please stay away from the pedals with cages. THOSE are DANGEROUS...

Last edited by kiramira; 05-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm in a bit of a different situation since I ride a trike My trike came with a pedal that has spd pedals on one side and a platform on the other. I practiced clipping in and out at home and couldn't do it. I took my trike and shoes to my bike shop and they set me up. They adjusted the pedals and my cleats so now its a lot better. Maybe ask at your bike shop about the pedals/cleats and your issues?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I've been afraid to try these too. But it makes sense that with the clips you use the upstroke as well as the downward. Might have to look into this a little more.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Don't be afraid of clips! They are seriously safer than regular (platform) pedals, because your feet can't slip off the pedals or move around. Foot slippage off of pedals can cause you to lose control of your bike. And although your feet are free, your pedalling efficiency is BRUTAL because you can't use an upstroke at all.
You aren't locked onto the pedals with clips. All it takes, when properly adjusted, is a MILD rotation of your foot and you are free! So your feet stay firmly where they belong when you need them, and are easy easy EASY to free up when you need. And, if GOD FORBID you come off your bike, your feet will unclip immediately if the bike is rotating under you (which it usually will). This will prevent alot of serious leg injuries as your legs will be freed immediately.
IF you use those crappy cages, you will have troubles because you have to pull your foot backwards to get out of them. If you want them to actually hold your foot in place they need to be tight, and if you keep them loose you might as well have standard platform pedals. But the problem with these is that if you come off your bike for any reason, the bike will stay firmly fixed to your feet. This increases your chance of injury significantly, because as a bike twists, so will your foot and leg. The chances of compound fractures and spiral fractures and ACL tears is much higher with these type of pedals than with clips or platforms.
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

If you aren't completely comfortable with the new pedals, I wouldn't race with them. When you are with other groups of people unpredictable things happen -- particularly when people are racing and are sometimes only focused on themselves. I say this from experience in triathlons.

I'd use your regular pedals for the race, then continue to train with the clipless as you become more balanced on the bike. There will be plenty more races that you can use them in when you feel completely ready, no need to rush or give yourself added stress.

Good luck on your race!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 05-09-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote