Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Default Ooooh I may have a problem.. forward planning required!!

Right so my regular routine is to run (be it morning or evening) most days and use the gym at work (it's part of a conference centre so free; the company I work for rents land on the estate and as such we get to use the gym) and also use the gym at my fathers work (but I can only use that at weekends when we go to the gym together).

I live in the uk. Winters are nasty! The gym at work has just been demolished!! It will be rebuilt but due to some company changes we may be moving off site/losing the gym privileges.

I'm currently post op and hoping to get back to exercising early/mid August (running etc) at the latest.

I'm thinking a bit of forward planning is required here - I figure I have until say mid October/end of October before the mornings/nights are too dark (for one thing) and ultimately too cold (for another thing) to be able to run outside. I also (potentially) won't have the gym at work.

What to do what to do! I already know that winter is a MAJOR trigger time for me... dark nights, cosy houses, bars of chocolate calling my name etc.

I am looking into costs of joining a gym but I live in the countryside so there aren't that many around here and I do know that in order to ensure I go it's best to get one that I will GO to rather than one that's miles away etc.

So when the days are really short etc I can run on weekends, use gym at fathers workplace on weekends but what else? Weekend workouts just aren't going to cut it.

I was thinking exercise dvds but I'm limited on space (I could manage it somehow though anythings possible right?). I also need to go a bit hardcore with the training as I start my recruitment process end of this year/start of next year for British Forces so anyone have any suggestions on good high impact exercise dvds?

Alternatively any other suggestions/solutions to my problem?

Just trying to be a bit more pro-active in my approach - before the bad weather kicks in!

Thanks for any responses

Last edited by denialisnthappiness; 07-18-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

If you are thinking exercise dvds might be the way to go, I would recommend going to someplace like collagevideo.com and reading the reviews of things that sound interesting to you. I really like the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred video - it's a fairly good workout, there are 3 different levels and you don't need an overwhelming amount of room to do it. I have access to a couple of different gyms but between work and kids it's not always easy to fit my time into the time the gym is open so I am a little worried about the winter as well. I'll probably be looking for some other good videos for when the weather is cold too!

Good luck getting it figured out!
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

How about jumping rope? Marching in place, burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, dancing.... there are lots of ways just to move your body around and burn some calories. Also squats, lunges, and pushups.
It's good that you're thinking ahead
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Ok so... the gym at work has been demolished lol! My assumption was right I guess... I'm going to a local leisure centre to check out the gym facilities this coming week. Good thing is even if we relocate at work it's on the way home from the current worksite or the proposed worksite. Opens at 7am too which isn't really early enough but if I'm organised I should be able to get in AM workouts and get to work on time.

Dvd's - having a look around. Looked for jillian michaels but as in UK I'm on region 2 I think :confused: I don't have multi-region dvd player either so I'll have to look into further

As for the other exercises yes I do a lot of those already (I'm trying to teach myself pullups...albeit unsuccessfully lol ). Mountain climbers though? *goes to google*
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote