Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: size 26/size 16/size 12

Height: 5'9"

Default Best body shaping exercises ever!!

Anyone ever heard of Callanetics? It's not calisthenics, it's this body shaping exercise that works really, really, really fast. I used to do the exercises in college to keep me in shape. I had completely forgotten about them until I found a book in the thrift store a few weeks ago. I am not joking or exaggerating, but I saw a difference in my body the THIRD time I did the full routine. That's amazing if you ask me. It doesn't include any sort of cardio, so one would still have to include that in an exercise program. The program can be done anywhere. The book shows them using a ballet barre, but I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter and it works just fine. Move over pilates, I will never stop doing Callanetics again.
150reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Looks similar to some stuff I've seen before (that works!). Might have to order me some DVDs.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

because this post was so exciting, i just bid on a callanetics dvd on ebay! i'll let you know what i think when it arrives.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #4  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

umm im buying a dvd off ebay and book from barnes and noble. umm i hope i get a good book though cause there are like 50 if them.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #5  

The book I have is called Callanetics 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours. Let me know how you guys like the program. I really love it!! I am actually considering (once I hit that size 12) becoming a certified callanetics teacher. This stuff has been around forever, I really don't understand why it is not more popular.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #6  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

ooo man! i almost got that one. i got callanetics: fit forever... i think. Anyway i only paid 6.00 and that included shipping. So i suppose if i like it i can fork over another 6 for the 10years younger and maybe the 30day one as well
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #7  
=D

So what does this consist of? Is it like a resistance/toning type of exercise?
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #8  

Ummm, I guess it is resistance using your own body weight. The main difference I see in these and other exercises is that you are required to move only 1/4 of an inch at a time. If you were to look at the pictures in the book, and not read the directions, you would probably think that it was just like a million other exercise routines out there. I myself have tried a million other routines, and this one has worked for me quicker than anything else. I remember quite some time ago, I had done pilates four times a week for about three solid months. I got stronger, but I didn't see a bit of difference in how my clothes were fitting. I did Callanetics twice a week for a month and my clothes were falling off of my body. I literally walked out of a pair of jeans (fortunately the only person around was a dear friend who thought it was fantastic.....and pretty funny) If you get the book I recommend reading it thoroughly before trying the exercises just to understand exactly how to position your body. I thought the explanations were pretty clear, but if anyone has any questions, just send a message through this thread and I will do my best to answer it.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #9  

I guess I didn't fully answer your question, Mazza. It is divided into stomach, legs, hips and butt, and stretching. It (the book I have) also has explanations for how to do the exercises if you have bad knees or a bad back. The only equipment used is a ballet barre. I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter. The exercises will also simultaneously tone your neck and back. You won't get "buff" or bulky, just lean and toned.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #10  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Wow, this is exciting.. Thank you so much for making this thread. I just started doing Pilates (just a DVD, no investment in equipment) and now I'm switching to this! I just checked and my library has a few books, do you recommend and particular ones that are really good?
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #11  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

I just went to amazon and bought: hips and butt, stomach, legs, beginner callanetics and callanetics tapes... yeah VHS but I'm getting all 5 for like 25 bucks!! I got the beginner one for 39 CENTS!! I can't wait to start these hopefully it will help me lose some more inches and start toning my arms, belly, and thighs-- the jiggly parts
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #12  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150reasons View Post
Anyone ever heard of Callanetics? It's not calisthenics, it's this body shaping exercise that works really, really, really fast. I used to do the exercises in college to keep me in shape. I had completely forgotten about them until I found a book in the thrift store a few weeks ago. I am not joking or exaggerating, but I saw a difference in my body the THIRD time I did the full routine. That's amazing if you ask me. It doesn't include any sort of cardio, so one would still have to include that in an exercise program. The program can be done anywhere. The book shows them using a ballet barre, but I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter and it works just fine. Move over pilates, I will never stop doing Callanetics again.
Thank you for the info...I might have to give this a try. I'm not sure if I can do it as I do have a bad knee. I read on their website that it's for everyone no matter if you have a bad knee or back. So it should be interesting. Somehow it seems like pilates. I tried pilates only once in my life.

I just checked my library and they have the following books on Callanetics -
  • Callanetics countdown: 30 days to a beautiful body; the firm, shapely body you want in only minutes a day
  • Callanetics fit forever
And a VHS Tape
  • Beginning callanetics

pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #13  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

If I recall, this is mostly like isometrics. You isolate muscle groups and do very intense but slow and deep contractions and releases that really make a difference over time (and not a lot of time, either).

I first did Callanetics in the mid-1980s and reduced my measurements by quite a bit, very quickly (but this is when I was in high school and generally fit and at a healthy weight, compared to the decades since then).

I tried Callanetics again in the late-1990s (when I weighed somewhere in the 185 to 195 range) and found it to be less effective.

I assume that just means the results are OBVIOUS on a smaller person who is "tightening" and "pulling in" quickly, vs. on someone who has more serious weight to lose before the results show.

Now that I've done Pilates quite a bit, I think there is some crossover there as well, but only in some of the exercises.

Most of all, I remember doing MANY more reps of each exercise than I had done on any other program, but the movements are so very small and fast that it's actually DECEPTIVELY EASY to do.

I loved Callanetics each time I did it. (And some of the movements, you can even do from bed--so it's a great choice for someone JUST getting started with exercise and muscle work.)

I believe I bought my VHS tapes used in a bookstore back in the '80s and still have them--but have seen DVDs and books on eBay and such since then.

That Callan lady is a force of nature, for sure! Does anyone know if she's still alive? I recall her being quite old in those '80s VHS tapes (of course, I was a teenager, so perhaps I thought she was "old" because she was over 50 or something. Ah... how times change).

Have fun!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #14  

Starry: the only book I have ever owned or used is Ten Years Younger in Ten Hours. I love it. I can't objectively comment on any other book or video because I have never used them.

Grace: I also thought that the results came quicker when I was much thinner, but I still think the results I am getting are pretty extraordinary. I am pretty sure that Callan is still alive, although she would be almost seventy right about now. Can you imagine being seventy and still having a ballet dancers body? That would be cool.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #15  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150reasons View Post
I guess I didn't fully answer your question, Mazza. It is divided into stomach, legs, hips and butt, and stretching. It (the book I have) also has explanations for how to do the exercises if you have bad knees or a bad back. The only equipment used is a ballet barre. I use the back of my couch and my kitchen counter. The exercises will also simultaneously tone your neck and back. You won't get "buff" or bulky, just lean and toned.

Whoa, it sounds really complete. Thanks for the detailed info =].

I like the sound of this, and think it would be great to incorporate into my routine, for some variety.

Thank you for sharing!
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote