Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 AM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Can a fitness-saavy person help me find a decent toning exercise for each body part?

I hate exercise, I need something that I can stick to. I don't want a bunch of different moves for each part, just something simple.

I already know to do bicep curls for my biceps, how about a simple exercise for triceps?

Abs?
Butt?
Inner thighs?
Outer thighs?
Back?
Shoulders?
Lower back?
Chest?
Legs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want a simple exercise for each part that will work out that body part to the fullest extent.

I know there is no such thing as spot reduction, so I will do some form of cardio to melt the fat over the muscles that I hope to tone.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #2  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

All of these you can do in the privacy of your own home You may want a yoga mat, or a soft towel to lay on.

Triceps: My favorite tricep exercise is to sit on the edge of the tub (or something the same height--like a coffee table) then scootch your bum off the edge, and hold yourself up with your arms, then lower yourself down, and back up. I do about 10 of these, then move to wall-push ups, then repeat a couple times. (as you can tell--I'm not too exact science about it!!)

After a couple of reps, you definitely start to feel it in the back of your arms

Abs: The absolute best exercise for this is "leg lifts"--lay on your back, and keep both legs about 2" off the ground. lift both for 2 counts, then lower for 2 counts (repeat 4X), then move to 4 counts (4X) and 8 counts (2X).
If this is too hard on your lower back, you can try putting your hands under your bum.
To make this more advanced, you can try raising one leg at a time (but remember not to drop your bottom leg to the floor!! Keep it about 2" off the ground!)
Then to "stretch"--bring your legs in to your chest, then straight out (don't touch the floor!): Repeat 3X.

Bum: "Donkey Kicks": On all fours, you're going to lift one leg at a time, up and out--like a donkey kicking. Do about 6 per leg. Then, to make it a bit more difficult, you can lift one leg out, and "pulse" at the top for 4 counts, then bring it down, and repeat with the next leg. (2X)

Inner Thighs: "Leap Lifts": We do these in dance class--they kill, but are SO good for you. They work your quads and inner thighs at the same time.
Sitting down with your back straight and legs straight out in front of you, you're going to lift your right leg with a pointed toe. (try to lift it above the height of your opposite foot) Keep your leg up and flex your foot, then point and move your leg out to the right side (as far out as you can go), then flex, Then bring it back in, pointed, then flexed. Repeat on the left.
We do these in 5 second intervals (point for 5 seconds, flex for 5 seconds, etc), and have worked our way up to holding this for 90 seconds. They're AMAZING for holding our jumps and getting that "pause" in mid-air

*********The ONLY way you're going to feel this in your inner thigh is by "turning out" your leg. This means rotating the entire leg so that your KNEE is facing to the outside (not up or in). If you turn out JUST your foot, it won't do anything--so make sure it's your entire leg ************

Quads: Sorry Squats. I hate these, but it's the best thing to work. Find a wall, put your feet out enough so that you can create a 90 degree angle with your legs (make sure your knees don't go "over your toes"-- this causes bad strain on the knees)-- and keep this position for as long as you can. Work your way up to "timed mode".
After you get really good at this, you can try doing it without the wall!

Back (and lower back): "Swimming": Lay on your tummy, arms straight out (past your head), and legs out long. Lift Right Leg and Left Arm-Hold, then let down. Repeat Left Leg, Right Arm. Hold for 5 second, 10 seconds, then 15 seconds (2X each). Then lift just the arms, then just the legs. Then try the "Superman" lifting both a the same time. Use the same time intervals.
If you want to make this more aerobic, you can try doing some quick switches with the first "alternating hand/foot" lifts.

Shoulders/Chest: Some call these "Burpees" and others call these "Tae Kwan Do Pushups"--
Jump, throwing your arms up in the air, then come down to a squat. Shoot your legs out behind you into pushup position, and do a pushup. Then bring your legs back in to a squat--finish with a jump to begin your next set!
They're fun to do with a buddy, because you can challenge them to a speed round, or an endurance round once you get really good at them

Legs: Which, I'm guessing you mean calves. Toe Raises:
find a bottom stair (please DO NOT do this on the top stair!!)--Preferably one with a railing you can hold on to.
You'll be standing on it with just your toes (see the danger?)-- raise up on your toes as high as you can, then lower your ankles down past the edge of the stair. (keep those toes on the edge!!). Do as many as these as you can-- try at different time intervals.
To get a really "good burn"--try sticking in the higher level of your raise and "pulsing" very slightly. This is what creates those amazing calves on dancers

I hope this helps!!! Golly this was a long post... lol
Good luck on your new fitness adventure!!

Last edited by weegreenlassie; 06-17-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Addition~!
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #3  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

These are very good suggestions. Thanks for posting them weegreenlassie.
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #4  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Abs?
1: The plank move. Get into a push-up position, then lower your knees to the ground while keeping your back straight. Raise your knees back up. Repeat.

2. Curls. Get into a sit-up position, hands resting gently behind your head with elbows kept out to the side. Curl up so your shoulders come up off the floor, belly button tightened towards your spine. Lower slowly. Repeat.

Quote:
Butt?
1. Donkey kicks. Get onto your hands and knees. Gently kick one leg out, pushing with your heels & tightening your glutes. Don't kick hard or lock out your knee. Hold for a second or two at full extension, then lower. Repeat.

2. Squats. (Also great for your thighs) Stand with your feet at least shoulder-width apart. Lower yourself as if you are going to sit in a chair & make sure your knees don't go forward of your feet. Make sure you squeeze your tush on the way up to get the best results. Add handweights (1-5 lbs) for faster results.

Quote:
Inner thighs?
I remember one I used to do in high school: lay on your side with your top leg bent, so your foot crosses over your bottom leg. Keep your bottom leg straight, and your foot flexed. Lift up your lower leg about 5-6", then lower without allowing your leg or foot to touch the floor. Repeat.

Quote:
Outer thighs?
Leg lifts. In a standing position get balanced on one foot, then raise your other leg out to the side, keeping your leg straight and your toes pointed forward. Lower and repeat. Do "pulses" to get that burning feeling!

For an added challenge, do a squat first, then raise up and do a side leg lift before going back to a squat.

Quote:
Back?
1. Rear delt-flys (I think that's what they're called). There are two ways to do this standing up. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent. Bend over at the waist and keep your back in a straight line with your neck and head. Think of your back being like a table-top. Start with your arms hanging straight down while holding weights with your palms facing together. Then "flap your wings." Keep your elbows slightly bent as you lift the weights up and back. Picture squeezing a pencil between your shoulderblades. Lower. Repeat.

The other way is to only bend over only about half-way, then pull the weights up towards the top of your hips, making sure to pull your elbows up. It's not like "flapping your wings." During this move, you keep your arms and the weights close to your body.

2. "Superman." Sit on a chair with your knees and feet together, and your legs out in front of you. Keeping your back straight, lift your arms all the way up into a "V" shape or a "superman" position with your palms facing each other. Bend forward, keeping your abs tight. Only go halfway down and stay there. Then lower your arms half-way down (to about your knees or just below), then lift all the way up. Repeat. If you're doing it right, you should feel this in your middle back area, and/or below your shoulders.

Quote:
Shoulders?
1. Laterals. You can do this standing or seated. Hold weights with your arms down at your side, shoulders relaxed. Keeping your elbows slightly bent, raise your arms up to shoulder-level, keeping your wrists, elbows, and shoulders in a line. Hold for a moment, slowly lower. Repeat.

2. Shoulder presses. Hold the weights up near the sides of your shoulders, then push them up and away towards the ceiling. Don't lock out your elbows. Slowly lower & repeat.

Quote:
Lower back?
1. Reverse dead lifts. (?) In a standing position, hold the weights in front of you at the front of your thighs. Make sure there is a slight arch in your back as you do this, and keep your knees bent. Slowly lower the weights down past your knees, then come back up. Repeat.

2. Back extensions. Lay on your tummy, and make sure to keep your feet on the floor. Put both hands under your chin and gently raise your upper body a few inches up from the floor. Hold for a few beats, and slowly lower. Repeat.

Quote:
Chest?
1. Push ups.

2. Chest-flys. (?) (If you don't have a bench for this, you can do it on the floor.) Lay on the bench, raise the weights above you so they are above your chest and your arms are straight, but keep your elbows slightly bent. Lower the weights out to the sides (like flapping your wings, but in reverse) until they are about level with your shoulders, then bring them back up. Repeat.

Quote:
Legs?
Squats. Squats. Squats.

You can also try this little move which is harder than it sounds:

While seated in a chair or on a bench, bring your legs and feet together. Keep your back straight, your chest lifted, and your abs pulled in. Lift one foot with your toes pointed, raising it up to knee level. (It should look sort of like you are trying to slowly kick the underside of a table or another chair.) Hold for a beat, then lower. After a few of these, pick up the pace so that you are lifting and lowering very quickly. You will start to feel the burn pretty soon!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 06-17-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #5  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

Abs

Most ab exercise are performed in some sort of scrunched up position which may or may not develop the abs but is not particularly good for supporting your back - which is what your ab muscles are supposed to do.

The best ab exercise I have found is to take a walk with a heavy pack strapped to your back. Try to focus on walking tall as you do it. This develops ab muscles in a way which will support your back.

Well, you asked for something simple!
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I can recommend a site that you'll enjoy.
www.stumptuous.com

She has workouts that are all dumbells all the time -or- even one that requires no gym-type equipment at all.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #7  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

No problem--
Everyone's got really good suggestions!
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote