3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   May Starters for C25K (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/141278-may-starters-c25k.html)

zinkemomx2 05-08-2008 10:47 PM

WHOOOHOOO! A new personal best. Finished eating dinner and was about 20 calories over for the day. Then I had one of those drumstick ice cream cones. :nono: I decided I better get off my duff and get that run in and burn off those excess calories. I decided to head outside and run the highway. My goal was just to make it as far as the end of the podcast and then turn around and walk home. A while back I figured out how far this one creek was from my house, 1.6 miles exactly. I never imagined I would make it all the way there before the end of the podcast. I did! I made it there in 23 minutes and I had just finished the last 3 minute run and it was time to do cool down. I felt so great that I just restarted the podcast and decided to see if I could handle doing any more. I made it home in 23:30. That included having to stop twice to get rocks out of my shoes. I managed to keep the same pace the entire time. 3.2 miles in 46:30. My previous best was 52:15 for a 5K so I am really excited. W3D3 hopefully on Saturday.

fiberlover 05-09-2008 08:41 AM

Hi everyone!
Did W6D1 yesterday. It seemed easier than day 3 of W5 since the run was broken up into segments again.
The 25 minute run is coming up at the end of the week!

bethbeth 05-09-2008 11:30 AM

I FINISHED! :carrot: :cheer2: :carrot:

I finished the 9 week program...in 9 weeks! I am so proud of myself. Last night was my 3rd 30 minute run. I never would have believed that I could ever run this long. Unfortunately, I still run quite slow, so I know I am not running a 5K in 30 minutes.
This weekend I am planning on going to the gym to run my first 5K. My goal is to do it 40 minutes. We'll see if I can make it.

Did I mention that.....I FINISHED! :dancer:

zinkemomx2 05-09-2008 11:38 AM

bethbeth - :bravo::congrat:

Foodie08 05-09-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethbeth (Post 2193350)
I FINISHED! :carrot: :cheer2: :carrot:

I finished the 9 week program...in 9 weeks! I am so proud of myself. Last night was my 3rd 30 minute run. I never would have believed that I could ever run this long. Unfortunately, I still run quite slow, so I know I am not running a 5K in 30 minutes.
This weekend I am planning on going to the gym to run my first 5K. My goal is to do it 40 minutes. We'll see if I can make it.

Did I mention that.....I FINISHED! :dancer:

CONGRATS!!!

Sami423 05-10-2008 10:21 AM

Hi, everyone! :wave: Can I join in? I just found this website this week, and the C25K as well. I've been trying to train myself to run doing an walk/run thing for a while now, but just haven't been getting far with it (no pun intended). I just did W1D1 today (to the podcast), and LOVED it! It was a little easy for me, so I may do just two of them and then try week 2.

I think the podcast made a big difference for me because constantly looking at the time tends to be a deal-killer for me... I see the number go up and it's a mental thing - I just get tired. But with the podcast, I don't have to look at the time, and it was fantastic!

I think I'm going to start using the treadmill and then move outside once I'm more comfortable with it. But as long as I'm actually doing it, and finishing each workout, I'll be happy!

So anyway, I'll be poking in to see how everyone's doing and to post my own progress! :)

One Fluffy Chick 05-10-2008 02:09 PM

Me Amarie: Thanks for the advice. I think that I am a bouncer, and probably a shuffler too. :) I go to the gym after work, so I'm tired when I do the program sometimes. On those nights, I hear a lot more squeals from my shoes on the treadmill because I'm not lifting my feet. My shins start to burn quicker on those days, too. I noticed that if I support myself on the handrails that my shins don't hurt as much. I figured that I was just pounding 230+lbs on them and they were protesting. I suppose proper form, less bouncing and energy bar ought to help too. :)

bethbeth: :carrot: Way to go! That's inspiring! :carrot:

zinke: First off, go BLUE! ;) Secondly, congratulations! :cb:That's amazing! You shaved off more than 6 minutes from your previous time (darn those stupid rocks :))! Extra calories = motivation to get 'er done. Yay! :cb:

My ponder for the day:
Is it always one or the other, either calf pain or shin pain? Wonder if there is a correlation between stride, gait or weight? Does anyone have both? Hmmm... :chin:

makeyourownplans 05-10-2008 02:53 PM

Just did W4D3, and I still can't make it through the last 1/2 mile jog. I'm going to do at least one more day of W4 before moving to W5.

fiberlover 05-10-2008 06:56 PM

bethbeth :bravo: !!!!!!

Foodie08 05-12-2008 12:20 AM

Instead of my W6D3, I participated in a 5K on Saturday. My plan was to run the 25 minutes and then walk the rest of the way. If I felt good, I would run more. First of all, I ran the first mile and walked the 2nd mile. Then, walk/ran the 3rd mile. I finished in about 54 minutes. :( Not great, but the walking killed me. Also, it was a little offputting to run around so many people...people who were WALKING in the running group. Not a resting walk, but a full walk the whole time. So, I had to expend alot of energy bobbing and weaving. Also, I wore the wrong pullover. I was burning up. I didn't want to flash anyone, so I continued.

I think it was great preparation for the July 5K.

Amarie2pt0 05-12-2008 12:53 AM

Ok, first - CONGRATS bethbeth!!!!!

Foodie - ugh.. Sorry the race wasn't all it was cracked up to be :( I don't think I'm ready for running in a pack yet.

Yesterday was W7D3 for me - it felt fine, and I definately think I'm ready to move on, but it just wasn't fun. So I've decided to change my route. Unfortunately this will mean I'll have to run a hill, but at least I'll be able to run by the river. I've just got to find a way to put the f-un back in my r-un! I previewed the music on W8, and I really like it. Maybe that will help too!

Happy running all!

bethbeth 05-12-2008 11:37 AM

I ran my first 5K this weekend, on a treadmill. My goal was to do it in 40:00 minutes, and I did it in 38:38. I still can't believe that I really ran this long/far!

I'm a little at a loss as to what to do next, now that I've finished the c25k program. Try to improve my 5K time? Train to run a 10K? I'll have to do some thinking.

Keep up the good work everyone! If I can do it....you can too!

Heffalump 05-12-2008 11:50 AM

Congrats, bethbeth! :carrot: This is awesome. I'm nearing my "graduation" too (W9D3 tomorrow) after a week of some temporary setbacks and some successes, and I've been giving thoughts to how to continue, too. I decided for me to just work on my times for now, maybe even go through some of the earlier weeks again to run the intervals a bit faster this time. Even in my long runs I try to switch between slower and faster runs now. As much fun as this running thing (intermittently) turned out to be, I can't imagine to extend my running time significantly beyond 40 minutes. I just get too antsy and yes, a bit bored - not because it isn't hard, it still is, but because I can't get into that flow-headspace that makes time go by faster ;) - yet. Sorry, rambling here...

ALSO: My dearest husband (2nd anniversary today btw!) and I signed up for our first 5K - it's the New Charles River Run on June 29th - which motivates me to keep going and upping my speed so I'm not eating *everyone's* dust... :D

Foodie: Argh, I feel for you - next time will be better, I'm sure! Running with so many people is hard, I'm sure it will drive me crazy too - I even get cranky if "my" track is a little crowded, heh... :dizzy:

Me_Amarie: Oh, that sounds so nice. I'm gonna move my route to the river, too, at least on weekends. All that running laps is really getting to me.

Sami: Welcome and happy running! :)

Great job, everybody! :carrot:

Amarie2pt0 05-12-2008 12:10 PM

Heffalump - wow! Have a great graduation run tomorrow :D

I got out this am before work for my W8D1 - sort of. At about 15 minutes, I was just too sore and so I dropped back to a walk for 3-5 min before finishing the run. Not sure if I went out too fast, or what - actually, my hips were really sore when I got up this morning, so maybe I was just physically out of sorts. I guess that means I'll do 3 more days of W8 - 3 real days of it.

Anyway - happy running!

LiLi Gettin Thin 05-12-2008 08:49 PM

Hi all! I hope I can join you!!! I've actually not *officially* started C25K yet. I've been doing "my own thing" for a while now and when I *officially* start tomorrow I'll be doing W3D1. "My own thing" is based on distance rather than time and I'm up to shuffling 1/4 mile and walking 1/8-1/4 mile between shuffling intervals. This is the way I started jogging in college and I got up to being able to run a couple miles but never really pushed on to 5k. I've been wanting to start again for a while and a few weeks ago, I bit the bullet. Now I've found C25K, I think I'll try it out to see how it compares. I watched the time on the treadmill last week after I found out about C25K and W3 matches the closest to what I've been doing. Has anyone else made a transition like this? Did it make a difference? Or did you notice a difference?