Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #1  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Default Secret Confessions- the numbers lie!

Well, here it is. I'm not fit. My weight is fine (112-115). My BMI is great (about 19). My percent body fat is normal (around 21%). I should feel healthy, right? But- I rarely exercise! A little yoga three times a week (15-20 minutes), weights maybe once a week (10 minutes). I have an active job on my feet all day. BUT- I can't sleep well, and can't run to save my life. I've been resisting Cardio for so long, but tada! I finally bought a cheapo eliptical trainer to gently ease me into better Cardiovascular health. Today, I did twenty minutes of Cardio, plus five minutes of warm-up and warm down yoga. I feel kind of foolish because it took me longer to set up the i-pod speaker, find a playlist, and get the double knots out of my sneaker laces than to exercise! But- I took it easy, so as not to kill myself and get discouraged. Hoping to work up to 30-45 minutes on the eliptical with yoga and weights and work- sounds like enough to maintain basic health. I'm not out to be an athlete, just to avoid diseases like diabetes and heart disease. Wish me luck!
-Circebee
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #2  
Meg

Good for you, Circebee! It's too easy to forget that exercise is essential for good health, regardless of weight management. The American Heart Association recommends a half hour of cardio exercise on most days of the week, along with two days of weightlifting per week, just for basic health. See press release here. Too often we forget that heart disease is the #1 killer of women, so thanks for the reminder that exercise is essential no matter what our weight is.

And have fun!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on your weight loss. I'm guessing you're fitter than you think, since you say "yoga 3 times a week" like it's no big deal, lol. Have fun with your new elliptical, though!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #4  

Welcome to the exercise world and healthy ....
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #5  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #6  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Jamsk8tr, yoga is FUN, so it can't REALLY be excercise, right? I have added 50 (girlie) pushups and 20 min of eliptical every other day, and it is not that bad, especially if I have some great music or a podcast to listen to. I'll try stick to this for a while, and add more SLOWLY, so that I don't over-do it. I usually try to rush in, and end up making myself feel sick and surly. Then I quit. And whine. Not pretty, and not fit !
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote