Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #16  
No description available.

I remember my first time on an elliptical. We were at the equipment store looking to buy one. I lasted about 45 seconds on it, in front of dh and the salesguy.

Bleh.

Now I can do an hour, no big whoop. You will get there, I promise. And I agree---ask for help. You are paying to use the facility, the people who work there will be glad to help.

Congrats on such a wonderful first step!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #17  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Glad you are getting an orientation because that is what I would have suggested. Even with me knowing how to work the weight machines and cardio, my trainer has shown me the proper form and different ways to use everything that I never would have picked up on my own without a ton of research! Hope you have a better time once you are more comfortable, and trust me no one's looking at yah. They're all huffing and puffing and listening to music or watching tv. Don't worry!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 AM   #18  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You did great! My first time at the gym was a total disaster. I didn't even have workout clothes to wear. I wore a pair linen shorts because they were all I had that were even close to what someone would wear for exercise (at least they had an elastic waist), a huge t-shirt (again, pretty much all I had), and no sports bra (although I did at least wear a bra, even if it only provided minimal support--luckily I don't need a lot of support ). And my shoes were cheap $5 Keds knock-offs from Target. I was completely intimidated by all the machines; I was afraid to even try the elliptical. I ran on the treadmill but I sure didn't last very long. And I hadn't thought to bring a towel. Within seconds, sweat was just dripping off me and I had nothing to wipe it on except my huge, cotton, so-not-moisture-wicking t-shirt.

When I did eventually get up the courage to try an elliptical on subsequent visits, I think I only lasted two minutes. Even now, I never do more than 15 minutes on a machine because I get bored. And people get on and off the machines in five minutes all the time. So I wouldn't worry about people watching you. Probably no one notices and if they do notice, they probably just think that's your normal workout routine.

Working with a trainer is a great idea. If you can swing it, I encourage you to sign up for some extra sessions. I've had a trainer for two years now and it's really helped me in terms of motivation (not only for exercise but it also really helps me stay on track with my eating) and feeling more comfortable at the gym.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Firstly CONGRATS KARA on getting to the gym...

Quote:
I can picture people laughing at me in their head.
Kara is right in saying that everyone is in their own little world and no one really looks at anyone in the gym... So don't you worry about it at all, NO ONE IS LOOKING, honest...

Quote:
I only did 6 minutes on the thing, but it's a start right?
Absolutely, positively YES it's a start.... I am a gym rat and have been going for 20+ years, and I still, some days go in for 20 minutes and I'm gone... It's better than having stayed at home in front of the tube... Eventually you will do more and feel more comfortable in the gym surrounding...

Definitely get someone from the gym to show you around, and if you can afford it get a personal trainer for a couple of sessions and he/she will make you feel more comfortable about being at the gym.... That push-pull workout you mention is a very good workout, I've been doing it... I'm not fussy though for the lower body workout on that plan so I've adjusted it for me...But the upper body workouts are good...

Another good idea are the classes, this would help you in meeting other members and not feeling so alone...

Hope this helps, along with all the other great suggestions, and keep us posted on your progress....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Gettting into the gym is an excellent start and doing any workout no matter how long is a great beginning! You'll get comfortable eventually and then you'll be in there for an hour at a time! I also agree with all those before me, get a session with a PT to learn the ins and outs of the machines and to set up a workout for you to follow. It will help you tremendously and also give you more confidence in using the equipment!
sapphireheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 265/258/165

Height: 5'4"

Sneeks, you should be proud of your 5 minutes on the machine from h*ll! I lasted 1.5 minutes. Yep, that is all I could do.
I also was very intimidated by the machines. I asked for a demonstration on how each machine worked and how many reps to do on each, and was given a very detailed walk-through. They even said that they know that there are a lot of different pieces of equipment, so if I didn't understand them all, to just ask and they would show me again.
I have found that, for me, I do about 30 minutes on the treadmill, then I go do a weight circuit (only 3 days a week), then I come back and do 10-20 minutes on the recumbent bike.
pouncermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Sneeks, you should be proud of yourself rather than humilated! So many people don't ever take that first step, and you did it. You should be proud.

What helps me at first is to get some variation. Even one minute is better than zero. What if next time you tried 5 minutes on each cardio machine to feel it out? Just go on the easiest level and take it slowly. Don't be embarrassed to take the time to figure out how to work the machine- everyone starts somewhere.

Something else to keep in mind: When you sign up for gym memberships, many of them come with an introductory personal training session or two, or at least an orientation. Ask if that's applicable. If not, it's definitely worth considering having one session anyway if you can afford it, in the long run it will make you go more if you have confidence and a set routine!

The bottom line: give it time, and be proud of yourself for taking such a positive step for yourself.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote