Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Barefoot solutions on an elliptical?

I hate shoes, I've always hated them. I've got some great ones that fit my feet like a glove, but I hate wearing them. As a kid I'd spend all summer outside, in the woods, barefoot. As soon as it's warm enough to kick off my slippers, I go barefoot in my flat and out in my garden. I only wear shoes on the city streets because I'm afraid of stepping on broken glass or worse. Most of all, I hate running shoes/sneakers/athletic footwear. I feel like I'm wearing two giant bread loaves on my feet and I'm always kicking myself or tripping or my balance is off. I've bought properly fitted and chosen ones that the salesperson swore up and down I'd never notice (I bought three pairs like this). No dice - I hated them and never wore them more than once or twice. I just don't like the feeling of shoes on my feet.

We got an elliptical a couple of weeks ago and we love it, we're using it every day, but the pedals have a raised pattern that's designed to help one's exercise shoes grip. The pattern digs into my feet after a few minutes so I've been wearing a pair of exercise shoes and I'm going to go mad if I have to wear them one more time. Wearing socks solves the digging pattern problem, but then my feet are a bit slippy. And socks are only slightly less irritating than shoes anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve my dilemma? Would some sort of padded mat glued to the pedals hold up? Is there a shoe substitute for finicky people like me?

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

What about yoga socks?
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

The first thing that came to my mind was cutting a piece of thin, dense foam (such as those blue camping sleeping pads or the large puzzle pieces you can get for children's rooms) to size & securing it in place with glue or double-sided carpet tape.

Good luck - I too hate shoes - but not quite as much as you - lol!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I wonder if a thin yoga mat would hold up. All the camping mats I've seen look pretty slippery, but it's been awhile - I'll go take a look at some.

The yoga socks look pretty cool too (never heard of them before!), but the toes might drive me up the wall. I'm going to look and see if anyone makes toe-less ones, or maybe I'll look for a place that will let me try them on first. They did give me another idea though - tabi (ninja shoes).

BP

Last edited by bopeep; 01-30-2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: grammar
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

How about hiking sandals, they are open but have grip on the soles...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote