Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Dance Dance Revolution!

I got this game for Christmas for the xbox360 (but it's available for lots of the other systems as well) and let me tell you what a workout it is! It's SO much fun and really gets you working on your eye-foot coordination. There's even a workout mode that lets you track your calories burned. It's super fun and there are lots of different songs to choose from. If you already have a system in your house I highly recommend getting this game! We also got the Wii which we haven't set up yet, but I'm sure that will give us even more weight loss benefits!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default So much fun!

I received Dance Praise, the Christian version of DDR, for Christmas as well. That is what I am using for my 30 minutes of exercise for the evening, actually. My husband is a runner and cyclist and is currently training for a marathon and it even gives him a workout!! We do it together at our respective levels (we have two pads.) It's hard to stop once you get going! I highly recommend it, it's a good break from exercise equipment!
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #3  
Be the change

I have DDR for the Wii. It's a lot of fun and can be a good workout. Wii Sports can also be a good workout especially boxing. I can't wait until Wii Fit comes out!
jlbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #4  
WMB Black Team

S/C/G: 170/155/135

Height: 5'2

I looooooooove DDR!
My Anime Club has a DDR competition every other month, and I won once!
I'm even training my friend in it to help her lose weight/win the competition.
I have Max, Max2, Extreme, Extreme 2, Supernova, and Supernova2 for ps2, and I play them at least an hour a day.
It's the only exercise equipment I have at home.
Briefasa Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #5  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I've been doing it for a few days now and mind you I'm a pretty coordinated person as far as dancing goes usually. I've mastered the beginner routines and am finding BASIC to be pretty damn hard. How in the WORLD can anyone get through the difficult and expert levels? They look ABSURD! I can't even figure out what I'd do with my feet just from looking at it!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

Loooovvvveeee it! It is so much fun...my daughter has it for the 360 and we really, really enjoy it. I just found out last week there was a Christian alternative and would love that even more! I do have to say, though, that I have not found any songs to be inappropriate for my 10 year old daughter (yet!). The problem I have is that I cannot use it long enough to get a good workout from it - the kids cant wait that long! lol
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #7  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I'm planning on buying a DDR game and pad for my son's PS2. I'd like to try it out to see if I can lose some weight.

My question is which game to buy for a beginner? Thanks!

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Is there a DDR for the Wii.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Sandi, Yep. DDR: Hottest Party is for the Wii. There may be others, I just know we got this one for Christmas. I love it! It's so much fun and I am so stinking uncoordinated that it's hilarious to watch (according to my teens at least). It is a good fun workout though.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #10  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

DDR= best game ever. And not bad in terms of a workout, although it's easy to get carried away. Before you know it, it's four hours later and you can barely stand up straight. But it's a GOOD sort of "can barely stand up straight".

I share previous posters' issues with difficult mode though. Once the arrows are actually on top of eachother, I lose all ability to figure out where my feet should go.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

If you have the full versions of the actual Dance Dance Revolution game, I believe there may be a mode where you can "train" yourself to learn more difficult moves/steps.

Personally, I can only manage a few songs on Standard, and only one on Hard.

Ghosts :P

I find that the Light mode creates the perfect atmosphere to get my heartrate up and keep it that way for awhile. I also use wii sports as a workout, only boxing and tennis though. I never count anything that doesnt take me above my sluggish activity level.

Last edited by Casandra; 01-12-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #12  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I love DDR and have been playing it since my friends and I started an anime club on our campus and became more into the Japanese's media scene. My biggest question is - should these "moves" be counted as "Steps" on a pedometer?
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #13  

I once lost 10 pounds over two weeks on the DDR and salad diet. Though of course the salad only idea was rediculous
Something to think about is the fact that in workout mode you don't actually have to hit the right steps, it will still record your effort. Workout mode is less about competition and more about just moving! Oh yeah, and it records your progress over time with a fancy line graph if you so desire!
Annans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #14  

I know this thread has been going for a while, but hopefully someone can answer my question. First of all, I absolutely LOVE DDR-I think I'm addicted. My sister comes over and we intend to workout for an hour or so and before we know 3-4 hours have passed. I've been doing this for 5 or 6 days now and the least amount of time has been 2 hours one day. The thing that I'm wondering about is this...I am NOT a fan of exercise (duh, that's why I have over 100lbs to get rid of). This is the only thing that motivates me to move, but is it enough to do DDR everyday?
Here's another one for you-on the workout mode it does track calories burned, but I have noticed that the calories on the same song will vary. Is it only certain versions of the game that track the movement and not just the steps that you actually get right?
Thanks
maysmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #15  

which version are you girls using?
I am using DDR extreme 2. I can't say difinitively, but it wouldn't make sense for any of the DDRs after that to not have that function. Try stepping on the mat at the beginning of a song before any of the actual step arrows come up. If the corresponding arrow on the line at the top glows when you step on it I'd say its sensing each and every movement. You should see a little fluctuation on the calorie counter as well. Someone on the forums at getupmove.com might be able to tell you for sure about your version.

I too hate exercise. I had been jogging but the weather here (nova scotia) is cold enough to make me not want to bother. Also, I am pretty much terrified at this point of going to an actual gym so I would also like to know if DDR will be enough to see me through these winter months.
Something I have been wondering about is the accuracy on the step counter. How in the heck do they know that one step is worth .093 calories or whatever? And can I trust the accuracy of their tally?? I usually shortchange their count when I put in an equivalent on fitday.com just in case.
Annans is offline   Reply With Quote